Newbie From Fleetwood in Lancs!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greg Ledder

Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd say hello - hope you're all well!

I've just become the owner of a '97 C200 Elegance Auto - my first ever Merc which I am loving by the way!

I've been told that the accelerator pedal works off a sensor and I find that on first startup I'm having to wait 4 or 5 mins before setting off as the auto box won't change gear properly and the car will only drive very slowly. Once the temp rises a little the gear change is fine and the car drives as it should.

I don't have an owners manual for the car so I'm in the dark as to what could be the cause of this.

I'm sure some of you will have come across this problem so any info or advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Greg.:)

Welcome from just down the Fylde coast.

Hi & welcome, you need to take the car for a 15 min drive & then check your autobox oil level (assuming its got a dipstick in it),dipstick is located at the rear of the engine,probably with a red safety clip on it. If it needs any MAKE SURE you get the CORRECT ATF fluid,as putting the wrong stuff in can cause expensive problems.

Thanks for the welcome guys and for the advice. Have got the car booked in for an oil/filter/plugs change on monday and will get the garage to check or replace the gearbox fluid too - hopefully this will help.....

Cheers,

Greg.:thumb:

Just an update on the Gearbox problem - apparently it isn't a gearbox problem after all! I had the gearbox oil changed as part of a service but the problem was still present so the mechanic suggested I have the car 'plugged in' to see if any fault codes came up and sure enough there seems to be a problem with the ECU!:eek:

By all accounts this will be a costly repair........

So until I can afford to get this sorted I will have to 'put up and shut up!'

And just to show that things really can get worse when you don't need it,the 4WD on my other half's Vitara auto has just gone on the blink - pulls to the right and there is a vibration/grinding noise,yet it's fine in 2WD mode. Bloody cars - a right pain in the **** sometimes!:wallbash:

Thanks for the input anyway guys.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom