Newbie goes from Alfa to Merc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamieandthemagi

Car
C220 CDI SE Exec Estate, 1971 Alfa Giulia GT 1300 Junior
Hello All, proper newbie here, not even been lurking.

Just changed from my Alfa 159 Sportwagon to Co Car C220 Estate SE Exec.

Couldnt afford to keep the Alfa going on the mileage that Im now doing, so opted back into the Co car scheme after being out of it with the Alfa for 4 years.

Only had the car 1 week (62 plate).

The new SE Exec comes with a few extra goodies like the LED running lights, sports grille etc... so the only other addition I added was the storage pack.

But what Ive noticed so far;
lovely motorway muncher
Quite a lot less sporting to drive (but then it doesnt have the sports pack)
engine makes a lovely rumble/roar when you put your foot down.
much more progressive throught the rev range - the alfa was more bang around 3000 to 4000, the merc is power all the way through.
The boot is tiny !!! guess thats due to the rear diff making the boot florr so high.
Love the auto boot
Only thing this doesnt have that the Alfa did - folding mirrors - but they are a lot smaller. & auto dimming rear mirror.
Havnt found a great seating position yet....give it time.
sussed the onboard controller - telephone system a bit clunky compaired to the aftermarket Parrot MKi9200 I had, but the rest of it is very nice.
Still struggling to get used to the parking brake and all the controls on a single stalk.

given it 1000 miles already.

So the next car will be a Zil?

Welcome!

No Zils here, Still keeping my Alfa fix alive with this;

7054553105_566077f202.jpg

must get some shots of the new motor.

Those twin Weber GTA's were a dream to drive.

Welcome to the forum Jamie, I love those classic Alfas and out of more recent cars, I especially love the Brera.

Welcome Jamie. Nice to see another former Alfa driver 'cross over'. Mine was the GT. Merc's seem to cost much more, where sometimes still not coming with as many bells & whistles. But overall it's night & day in quality and refinement. It's not that I wouldn't have another Alfa, but now that I'm used to the Merc (& the parking brake), I'm not sure I could easily live with the lack of refinement.

welcome to the forum buddy.
Once you get used to the fourth parking brake pedal it never leaves you.
I look for it when driving my 190 and my G/F's 1 series.

Hi,and welcome Alfa blood:thumb:

Welcome pal

welcome to the forum buddy.
Once you get used to the fourth parking brake pedal it never leaves you.
I look for it when driving my 190 and my G/F's 1 series.

Cheers for the welcome all.

It took me years to stop going for the window switches up on the roof by the rear view mirror after I got rid of my Alfa 75 years ago.

So far some of the build quality on the c class seems a bit below that of my old 159........ But only in not really noticeable places........must stop picking. But the rest of the build quality a feel to plastics is great.

Got a few questions for anyone with a w204

Does the audio 20 telephone system only show the names in the phone book via last name........ I remember 1st names, not last names.

Toward the end of the evening, The lights come on , the led running lights go off, but the interior dash lights don't come on till much later in the evening.

What do the little flags on the telephone system mean, and the 3 dots etc...

Got 54mpg on a 400 mile round trip today, will I get more once the engines run in?

Anyone able to help on the queries ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom