Newbie here and need some advice on buying an e class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benjaminD

Car
None at the moment.
Hi MB Club folks,

I'm Ben. I've been a Merc fan for many years and as a treat, we got an upgrade to an eclass on a hire car, soooo long story short. I want to buy one.

I have an appointment to test drive one at Evans Halshaw but want to know what to look for when on the hunt for a good eclass.

Where in the forum would I post about this?

Cheers,

Ben :)

Hi Ben

Would be helpful to know what sort of info you're after? Which model year are you looking at [New or Used]? Saloon, Estate or Coupe? Do you need advice on which engine to go for? Optional Extras etc..

Hi MB Club folks,

I'm Ben. I've been a Merc fan for many years and as a treat, we got an upgrade to an eclass on a hire car, soooo long story short. I want to buy one.

I have an appointment to test drive one at Evans Halshaw but want to know what to look for when on the hunt for a good eclass.

Where in the forum would I post about this?

Cheers,

Ben :)
If you do a search on user "AntMB", you will see that he has recently asked that very question and there is wealth of information there

NB: E-class rocks!

What year/engine?

hi Ben

in no particular order

Obviously look for a full service history (including ATF Change at or around 40k miles?) - not necessarily main dealer
Sat Nav Maps updated? (not cheap, so check how upto date they are)
Not sure that is FULL leather (poor photos) if that is important to you
All the 'toys' work?
Any rumbles or squeaks when driving it - E classes should be quiet
Brakes and tyres in good condition?
It the facelift interior, so nice...
Can't comment on price, but black is a bugga to keep shiny 'n clean......:confused:

Let us know

i just want to add evans halshaw is full of money greedy salespeople, they don't do after sales stuff very well after they have your money so be careful in that regard

hi Ben

in no particular order

Obviously look for a full service history (including ATF Change at or around 40k miles?) - not necessarily main dealer
Sat Nav Maps updated? (not cheap, so check how upto date they are)
Not sure that is FULL leather (poor photos) if that is important to you
All the 'toys' work?
Any rumbles or squeaks when driving it - E classes should be quiet
Brakes and tyres in good condition?
It the facelift interior, so nice...
Can't comment on price, but black is a bugga to keep shiny 'n clean......:confused:

Let us know

Hey Fabes,

Thanks for this post mate. OK will need to make a checklist of what to look for etc. Yeah, I actually prefer this interior than the previous gen.

If this doesn't have ATF change, is this a game changer would you say? Obvs, I want the fluid changed and the transmission to work well.

Cheers again :)

i just want to add evans halshaw is full of money greedy salespeople, they don't do after sales stuff very well after they have your money so be careful in that regard
Yeah I get that feeling. Their pics on AutoTrader are crap, the car in not clean by the looks of it. I'm am a cash buyer, so will try and knock them down as much as possible or just walk away.

Keeping my eye out for another eclass in my area.

Cheers :)

Isn't it EH who boast they will beat any quote by WBAC?

Be a bit careful, my feeling is that people tend to use these two when maybe they don't want to trade with a main dealer, price being one consideration, but condition being another, and they just want an easy non to intrusive inspection and sale.

The fact that EH don't seem to be to bothered about the state of the cars in their advert photo's would make me wary. It's as if they have done nothing to them in terms of preparation before putting them on sale, and if they don't clean them, what else don't they bother to do?

i deal with EH on a business level so i know a bit on how they operate. their prices are competitive because they source their vehicles from places proper dealership wouldn't touch such as auctions/ex-rentals/ex-motab etc. they do prep their cars to a certain standard but that standard is not very good. this prep process don't usually involve fixing defects like dents and scuffs etc as it eats into their margins.

i deal with EH on a business level so i know a bit on how they operate. their prices are competitive because they source their vehicles from places proper dealership wouldn't touch such as auctions/ex-rentals/ex-motab etc. they do prep their cars to a certain standard but that standard is not very good. this prep process don't usually involve fixing defects like dents and scuffs etc as it eats into their margins.
Thanks for that, yeah not sure about EH need to go and actually look at the motor.

As the car you have posted is in the Midlands (albeit the west side), you should try Jay Manek at Mercland, Nuneaton. Jay is very well regarded on this site and will see you right.

He is a trader but first and foremost he is a complete MB fruitcake. Check out some of the projects on this site he has done and you will see what I mean. He always has a few e classes in stock so he is defo worth a look and the trip down the m6.

As the car you have posted is in the Midlands (albeit the west side), you should try Jay Manek at Mercland, Nuneaton. Jay is very well regarded on this site and will see you right.

He is a trader but first and foremost he is a complete MB fruitcake. Check out some of the projects on this site he has done and you will see what I mean. He always has a few e classes in stock so he is defo worth a look and the trip down the m6.

Yeah, I am actually impressed by Mercland but they don't have the right one for me otherwise I would go to them. Thanks for the help :)

If you are a cash buyer I would go for one being sold privately. It will be cheaper and you can deal directly with the owner. They do come up from time to time for sale on the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom