Newbie - Large repair bill as 1st time Mercedes customer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It just seems like sneaky purposeful grabbing at every opportunity. I would like to think that the people that run the business aren't so stupid or ill-informed that they haven't a clue about all the tricks.

As per Markjay's post, I'm very sure that traders know full well within the 6 month time frame that exclusions from warranty don't matter. But if they can pull the wool over the 'customer's' eyes, then all the better for them. (not restricted to Merc by the way, so this is not specifically Merc dealer bashing).

It just seems like sneaky purposeful grabbing at every opportunity. I would like to think that the people that run the business aren't so stupid or ill-informed that they haven't a clue about all the tricks.

As per Markjay's post, I'm very sure that traders know full well within the 6 month time frame that exclusions from warranty don't matter. But if they can pull the wool over the 'customer's' eyes, then all the better for them. (not restricted to Merc by the way, so this is not specifically Merc dealer bashing).
Is this 6 month rule mirrored in Scottish law?

Is this 6 month rule mirrored in Scottish law?

"The Consumer Rights Act 2015 came into force on 1 October that year. The act applies to England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland (with the exception of section 27). It was introduced to consolidate the previous legislation, to help consumers better understand their rights."

I’d take the selling dealer to Court.

He did, eventually, and the dealer settled.

Good result, although it shouldn't have been necessary in the first place; it always surprises me that so many businesses talk about the value of 'goodwill' yet operate the way that they do. Thanks to the OP for updating the thread as it could be helpful for others in a similar situation.

Some years ago we suffered considerable damage to our flat due to the incompetence of workers (who were carrying-out work elsewhere in the building and unrelated to us). Their professional indemnity cover accepted liability but disputed the repair quotes we presented. There was a considerable gap between what it was going to cost us and what the insurer were willing to pay. We hired a solicitor who sent several letters and eventually started court proceedings. At that point the insurer caved-in and agreed to pay the original amount in full, plus our solicitor's fees. That took one year. It seems that there are quite a few companies out there who did the cold calculation and figured-out that if they automatically apply the tactics of wearing-down the individual on the other side, then they will overall pay-out less (even if on the odd occasion they would have been better-off settling early).

EDIT: the paragraph above can be summarised as: 'they are trying it on' :D

small claims court fit for purpose sale of goods act will cost £80 may be sticky not taking it back to ordinal seller you lost £1600 so might as well have a go they might night even bother turning up ha a go good luck steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom