Newbie living in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thebiglad

Car
'05 CLK270 cdi
Hi guys, my name is Dave (David, Davey, Biglad etc) and I've been living in France for the last 16 years.

I'm on the point of buying a 2007 1-owner, full MB service history CLS 320 cdi with an Oxblood leather interior.

I'm also a biker and like nothing better than riding to the Alps and enjoying Alpine hospitalité and roads.

Normally I do my own vehicle maintenance so I suppose I'll be in the market for an appropriate diagnostic tool.

Cheers all

Dave

Hello and welcome. Very nice part of the world. Sorry I can't help you with any advice diagnostic tools but I'm sure someone will be around shortly who will.

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

Welcome, sounds a nice motor!

Welcome from the North East,

I've just bought a Diagnostic Tool this morning: CAN OBDII SCAN TOOL It gives a readout in English/French/Spanish!
Might be available on e-bay (I bought from a mates Motorist Discount Centre) or according to the User Manual: [email protected]
Hope it's of help to you :dk:

Oh I paid £25.95 for it

Sould I have stated the North East of England?

Welcome from the North East,

I've just bought a Diagnostic Tool this morning: CAN OBDII SCAN TOOL It gives a readout in English/French/Spanish!
Might be available on e-bay (I bought from a mates Motorist Discount Centre) or according to the User Manual: [email protected]
Hope it's of help to you :dk:

Oh I paid £25.95 for it

Sould I have stated the North East of England?
Hi SP, have you tried your new scan tool yet? I was just wondering what level of access it gives you, to the various sensors and functions?

Hi SP, have you tried your new scan tool yet? I was just wondering what level of access it gives you, to the various sensors and functions?
No Sir, I have not as it's 'belting down' at the moment and the car is parked down the street (BBC Weather is wrong again).

Reading from the users manual any fault codes are stated as: Body/Chassis/Powertrain/Network with Sub-System(s) as: Fuel & Air Metering/Ignition System(s)/Engine Misfire/Auxillary Emission Control(s)/Vehicle Speed & Idle Control(s)/Computer Output Circuits/Transmission Control(s)
If a fault is present then a code is displayed which itself can read as a statement of the defective circuit/device?

I'm sure there are more investigative/professional units available but for 26 quid I'll give it a try, once it stops raining :mad:

Welcome to the forum!

The CLS is a beautiful car, I had them on my list but the very well equipped and clean E Class I am currently using as my commuting car came up, we do however share the same engine and it is very good in terms of performance, economy and refinement once you get above 30kph or so you cannot tell it is diesel.

In terms of Scan tools, it depends what you want to do, a Blluetooth OBD reader can be bought for under £10 here and the Torque software can be very helpful.

Whilst MB Star is the ultimate a lot of people on here use and have a lot of praise for this :iCarsoft MBII V2.0 Pro Diagnostic System for Mercedes-Benz / Sprinter / Smart

Not cheap but if it saves one garage visit it may well pay for itself.It can access many more systems than generic OBD code readers such as ABS, SRS and some transmission related codes etc.

Welcome to the forum!

The CLS is a beautiful car, I had them on my list but the very well equipped and clean E Class I am currently using as my commuting car came up, we do however share the same engine and it is very good in terms of performance, economy and refinement once you get above 30kph or so you cannot tell it is diesel.

In terms of Scan tools, it depends what you want to do, a Blluetooth OBD reader can be bought for under £10 here and the Torque software can be very helpful.

Whilst MB Star is the ultimate a lot of people on here use and have a lot of praise for this :iCarsoft MBII V2.0 Pro Diagnostic System for Mercedes-Benz / Sprinter / Smart

Not cheap but if it saves one garage visit it may well pay for itself.It can access many more systems than generic OBD code readers such as ABS, SRS and some transmission related codes etc.
Hi DSM, in the past I used to have a lot of LR's particularly Discoveries so I invested in a full fat Lynx terminal which could not only read codes, cancel codes and reset the service interval but much more important it could access all ECU's and as such could for example, program new keys, change the immobiliser parameters, view live data, reset/adjust ride height on the air suspension, and loads more.

Having had that, I would like to be able to have a similar level of functionality - so I'm assuming I need to go up one of the Star systems ??

Hi DSM, in the past I used to have a lot of LR's particularly Discoveries so I invested in a full fat Lynx terminal which could not only read codes, cancel codes and reset the service interval but much more important it could access all ECU's and as such could for example, program new keys, change the immobiliser parameters, view live data, reset/adjust ride height on the air suspension, and loads more.

Having had that, I would like to be able to have a similar level of functionality - so I'm assuming I need to go up one of the Star systems ??

Star is really only the preserve of main dealers or independents. MB will not sell it to individuals. There are copies out there but they certainly will not have access to updates from MB and without the latest systems a lot of coding cannot be done.

A few members here have Star but I am unsure how they got it or update it. as you cannot then access the MB databases for certain things and cannot update the data card etc.

Star is really only the preserve of main dealers or independents. MB will not sell it to individuals. There are copies out there but they certainly will not have access to updates from MB and without the latest systems a lot of coding cannot be done.

A few members here have Star but I am unsure how they got it or update it. as you cannot then access the MB databases for certain things and cannot update the data card etc.
I'm not really bothered about getting updates to the terminal from MB, it's much more about keeping the car running reliably and efficiently, so reading codes, reading live data and accessing/programming the functioning of the various systems.

Just as an example, what system does one need, to code in new keys ?

I'm not really bothered about getting updates to the terminal from MB, it's much more about keeping the car running reliably and efficiently, so reading codes, reading live data and accessing/programming the functioning of the various systems.

Just as an example, what system does one need, to code in new keys ?

The link I posted to Icarsoft mb2 will almost certainly give you everything you need, have a look at the features

As for keys, MB UK order keys from MB Germany, they say there is no other way. There are a couple of companies in the UK that seem to be able to make keys but I believe this is only for a limited range of models.

I found this from the forum; it may be of interest :SCN Coding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom