Newbie looking at W211/S211 E63...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Naldrett

Car
BMW
I need a rapid family load lugger for around £20k and have stumbled across the E63 S211. There seems to be quite a spread of prices for what seem like quite decent examples - as low as £16k, up to £30k+. I love the looks, the premium cabin and the whole understated Q car / sleeper nature of it, but am a bit scared of buying what is close to a supercar under the skin with associated running costs (even though I do only 6-7k miles per year). Anyone care to share their experiences? Doesn't seem so much talk about these on here compared with C63s for example, I guess because of the relatively low numbers.

The AMG Collections seem to have cornered the market for the best examples: Prestige Motor Company - Cars for Sale

The Tenorite grey example particularly caught my eye - but £28k? (there is even one for £32k...)

I also like the idea of finding one with the performance pack, but was it ever available on the estate?

Not an estate, but here is a saloon with the performance pack with decent miles - not normally a fan of black cars but I think it suits the saloon shape very well: Mercedes-Benz E Class 6.2 E63 AMG 7G-Tronic 4dr

Thanks for any thoughts!

Welcome to you.

Great choice - though expect "incoming" from the 55K fan boys (also a great choice).

To get the best example, be prepared to search nationwide and travel.

With your mileage you won't spend a fortune on maintainance - I had two diesels followed by two E63's and the running costs (except fuel :D) aren't too far apart.

However, front discs are pricey - wear would be area to check out when looking at examples.

You're close to a W212 6.2 (or even an early Bi-Turbo) with that budget, they're nowhere near as good looking as a W211 but a lot more modern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Incoming..........:D

Good choice although that sold example at Prestige was hideously overpriced for a 2006:doh: That was knocking on the door of the later W212 which I personally think is a far nicer model than the 211 (which I have in E55 guise:D)

John above is experienced in E63 ownership and knows plenty about the model but don't rule out the E55 if you find a nice example. Equal running costs and performance. Expect to pay no more than £13.5k for a top car.

If a e55k is to old, id go for a w212 bi-turbo, early e63's can suffer headbolt failure

You get what you pay for......

I need a rapid family load lugger for around £20k and have stumbled across the E63 S211. There seems to be quite a spread of prices for what seem like quite decent examples - as low as £16k, up to £30k+. I love the looks, the premium cabin and the whole understated Q car / sleeper nature of it, but am a bit scared of buying what is close to a supercar under the skin with associated running costs (even though I do only 6-7k miles per year). Anyone care to share their experiences? Doesn't seem so much talk about these on here compared with C63s for example, I guess because of the relatively low numbers.

The AMG Collections seem to have cornered the market for the best examples: Prestige Motor Company - Cars for Sale

The Tenorite grey example particularly caught my eye - but £28k? (there is even one for £32k...)

I also like the idea of finding one with the performance pack, but was it ever available on the estate?

Not an estate, but here is a saloon with the performance pack with decent miles - not normally a fan of black cars but I think it suits the saloon shape very well: Mercedes-Benz E Class 6.2 E63 AMG 7G-Tronic 4dr

Thanks for any thoughts!

The price range doesn't surprise me at all. Check the small print: the "outrageously high" prices are for outrageous histories provenance: one owner, ultra low mileage, Channel Island vehicle etc.

There's always a premium for condition, maintenance and lack of wear.

Maintenance, and insurance, for these supercar powered cars is nowhere near onerous as for a supercar - you've got economies of scale in production and maintenance on your side.

Caveats:

Any E63 / BMW M5 etc is a 2 tonne family car so it's heavier to throw around than a 911 or 360.

Hard sports suspension and low profile tyres to give you full control at speeds over 130mph and a pain in the lower back over urban speed bumps and on poor quality roads.

Finally, some (cough) wives baulk at driving a car with such acceleration. Same as for a 911 / 360. If she's going to be putting die Kinder in das Familienwagen , check that she's genuinely OK about it.

Finally, some (cough) wives baulk at driving a car with such acceleration. Same as for a 911 / 360. If she's going to be putting die Kinder in das Familienwagen , check that she's genuinely OK about it.

This is an extremely good point. Although my wife is an experienced driver, she refuses to drive my E55 after being given a spirited demonstration when I bought it. The torque genuinely scares her, so making sure the OP's missus is comfortable driving it is not to be forgotten.

I now know what "caveat" means

a warning or proviso of specific stipulations, conditions, or limitations.

Google is a wonderful thing lol

The W211 AMG in either form is a damn fine car tbh. My only reservation I'd have is that yes the 6.2's can be a right ball-ache if you get one that's not been maintained properly in the cylinder head area. If you're going to get one for 15k or so...budget a few thousand for cams and tappets...and then while those are out, you'll want to change to the newer style headbolts. All M156's will eventually have cam/tappet issues....some just last longer than others. Headbolts - pretty much all W212's will have the updated headbolts which are much less likely to break off. If the costs and maintenance aren't an issue for you, get the 6.2.....you'll only know why, once you've had one to live with.

Yes the 55 brigade will yap on about how a pulley and tune can get them to around 560hp...but then you can achieve that anyway with a decat and a tune on the 6.2. Beyond that, yes the 55k is easier to make power on. I'm a bit of an N/A fanboy...always have been. The 63 can be driven with more control and has that lovely top end surge in acceleration above 5000rpm....the 55k gives you a lovely thump back in your seat as you put your foot down. Both great cars, but the 6.2 is my preference.

Tip: when viewing a 6.2l motor, black rocker covers will generally denote the revised/later style engine (assuming a horrid person hasn't changed them over to fake it).

As for the W211 vs W212 debate...although i think the W212 is a very handsome car in the general sense (ie comparing it to other marques), I would have to agree that the W211 is probably better looking. It's just so elegant. Interior wise, both nice, but W212 is a nicer place to be for me personally. It's more modern and very crisp. Handling - W212 hands down.....not even a discussion. Transmission....the 7G-tronic on the W211 is a tad smoother and you can do burnouts in when you want to be a yob. Sadly the MCT in the W212 doesn't allow for this, but on the plus side the paddle shifting is better (not that it really matters in a car that's best driven in auto mode)

Headbolt replacement is a relatively small price to pay on these engines it will probably on happen once in your ownership. You then have total peace of mind everything is in order.If you own a 6.2 expect to pay a premium on parts and maintaining.
The cost is worth it the engine is the bees.

The W211 AMG in either form is a damn fine car tbh. My only reservation I'd have is that yes the 6.2's can be a right ball-ache if you get one that's not been maintained properly in the cylinder head area. If you're going to get one for 15k or so...budget a few thousand for cams and tappets...and then while those are out, you'll want to change to the newer style headbolts. All M156's will eventually have cam/tappet issues....some just last longer than others.

Is this true??? Was swaying towards a CLS63 W219.

All M156's will eventually have cam/tappet issues....some just last longer than others.

Not disagreeing with you, but I have read little about this either here or on the US MB forums.
Is this hearsay or fact? If all M156's are going to have issues I'm sure we'd have heard about by now on the older engines. After all, M156's are 11 years old now. Do you have a source for this info as I'm genuinely interested?

Yes the 55 brigade will yap on about how a pulley and tune can get them to around 560hp...but then you can achieve that anyway with a decat and a tune on the 6.2.

Sorry, but a decat and V5 tune will give 520-530bhp max on a 6.2 engine unless you supercharge it. I've watched enough of MSL's videos over the years to notice that is the max.

You can achieve a safe 600bhp on the 55k engine with pulley, map and cooling upgrades if bhp is your aim.

But I'm getting OT.:D The OP states he wants an E63, and your post is a fine summary of the car.

I bought one of AMGs 'hideously overpriced' (tougue in cheek) examples sight unseen. With these sorts of car you very often get what you pay for and i am delighted with the mystic blue car (I would have bought the tenorite, but then the blue one arrived). I far prefer the 211 to the 212, although almost bought a facelift 212. This is our 4th 63, 2 Cs and 2 Es.

If you get a car with full MB history, you could always buy the MB extended warranty for piece of mind up to 100k miles (circa 2k pa for the top tier cover).

Only problem I have ever had was the radar cruise packed up and had to fit an LSD to switch off the orange dash light!

Biggest running cost is a toss up between fuel and rear tyres.

The W211 AMG in either form is a damn fine car tbh. My only reservation I'd have is that yes the 6.2's can be a right ball-ache if you get one that's not been maintained properly in the cylinder head area. If you're going to get one for 15k or so...budget a few thousand for cams and tappets...and then while those are out, you'll want to change to the newer style headbolts. All M156's will eventually have cam/tappet issues....some just last longer than others.

Is this true??? Was swaying towards a CLS63 W219.

No it isn't true my car have 90k and been supercharged,driven like was stolen most of the times and have no head bolt issues or cams...

V8 CLS said:
All M156's will eventually have cam/tappet issues....some just last longer than others. Is this true??? Was swaying towards a CLS63 W219.

What a load of BS.

Thanks everyone for your input - much appreciated. I had not realised that the W212s are getting down to similar levels to the top end of the W211s.

This BiTurbo in particular caught my eye:

BMW M3 4.0 V8 4dr

Not sure how well specced that is compared with normal but it seems to have everything I would need and I like the exterior / interior combination and de-badged look. The facelift is indeed much better looking than the earlier W212s IMO.

Not one to normally consider these car supermarket type places but I guess you have to keep an open mind when looking for quite rare vehicles.

E63's and C63's

How can I put this without causing a ruckus? (cough)... I know...

C63's and E63's are both great cars, but there's a big difference in the capacity and handling of the C and E class with such a powerful AMG engine. (I have friends who have had both).

It comes down to requirement. Simple examples:

One kind of childless friend uses his C63 as a "lifestyle estate" to take his new retread away for the weekend, and to take his crazy expensive bike away with a mate to do fancy road bike rides. Ideal. He doesn't want, or need, the larger and heavier E class.

Another has an E63 as a statement car, for all purpose family holdall duties. Two adult sized teenagers, and family trips to a second home. Ideal. Needs the extra capacity. TBH, I doubt that he actually floors it much, but wouldn't be happy in a V6.

Which is all a long way of saying - think about how much interior space you want. OK and maybe whether your wife is happier driving the bigger car. The C63 and E63 may have the same engine but they are different cars.

(Personally the interiors are also of a different quality, but that's less of an issue)

Great cars, either way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom