Newbie looking for advice on AMGs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lance

Car
Volvo V70 T5 CD spec with a bigger turbo and custom remap 430nm @ the wheels
Hello MB owners!

Im thinking of buying a secondhand C43 AMG estate or an E55 AMG estate in the next few months. I currently drive a 320 BHP Volvo T5 estate but have owned a few mercs years ago, a 190D 2.5, W124 220TE and a W123 200.
Anyway what issues do i need to look out for?
How much do service items cost such as brake discs and pads and how long do they last?
Auto boxs ive heard sometimes fail, miles expected?
Are they any good independents in the Notts area that dont charge the earth and understand these models well?

Any response greatly appreciated.

Hello MB owners!

Im thinking of buying a secondhand C43 AMG estate or an E55 AMG estate in the next few months. I currently drive a 320 BHP Volvo T5 estate but have owned a few mercs years ago, a 190D 2.5, W124 220TE and a W123 200.
How much do service items cost such as brake discs and pads and how long do they last?
Are they any good independents in the Notts area that dont charge the earth and understand these models well?

Is that a W202 series or W210 series? I have a W208 AMG and I think many of the parts are similar, except perhaps discs, calipers which are AMG. Same problems such as rust occur (I had a couple of spots). Servicing certainly doesn't seem to be different cost-wise to my old W210. I've been driving it quite long distances (~1500km in 3 days for example) and the box at the moment has 120.000km on it and has given no problems.

The old E-Class I had had 225.000km, and not a bit of complaint from the auto box.

Hello MB owners!

I think you ought to let us know the approximate year of the vehicle you intend buying otherwise you might be baffled by the different model coding numbers.

Regards
John

Im a bit behind with Merc model codes, so it would be 1998-2000 years I would be looking at! Its most likely to be a C class although I love the Eclass shape they do seem a little more expensive on the second hand market.

If you are looking for ther E55 get the post facelift version (2000 onwards)The interior is nicer and there a few other improvements on the car.
Check bodywork for the usualy rust issues and make sure you have a full MB history.

Servicing they are a bit more than the normal MB but thats what you pay for when if you want an AMG. They are not cheap cars to run so make sure you get a good one . I changed 4 discs and 4 pads once it came to about 1K.
Tires are about £200-£230 each for the rears and £160-£180 for the fronts, depending on brand.

Brakes and tire wear will really depend on your driving style so cant comment on that but I dont think its would be any worse than a normal MB.

A service about £250 and B service about £400 at an indie.

My Auto box been fine no problems yet.

Hope all this helps!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the above replies, Ive just seen a T plate E55 AMG with 133k on the clock for £6750 Iam tempted but need an estate really, maybe I need to wait for depreciation to kick in a bit more! I prefer the E class shape to the C class and of course the extra power!
I know Mercs are great for high miles but is there any weak areas with these highly strung models I need to look out for at 100k plus miles!

Generally the AMGs are built pretty well (besides the rust issue in the late 90's) so you should have too many major problems. But with the higher mileage the chances of problems increase due to wear and tear.

Hi Go For The Amg Great Fun Service Cost Are About 10 To 15% Higher Than Usual Models And Most Only Run On The Higer Grade Of Unleaded Petrol So No Cheap Petrol From The Supermarkets.JUST AS RELIABLE AS ANY OTHER MB

Hi , where can i get one of those bonnet badges for my AMG ?

Just buy one , volvo just cannot be compared , high horsepower not good with front drive , i just love my e55 estate , 390 ftlbs rear drive , handling is superb remember fun is not just a straight line ! , the best load carrier out there by far ! . find an independant to look after it and it wont be to expensive to run

Remember Clarkson saying that he was chatting to some car designer type , and the general consensus is that the absolute maximum you can put through the front wheels safely and practicably is 240 bhp ( T5 standard figure ) any more is just silly as torque steer and wheelspin start to take over ..

That said, when i worked for Tamplins in Twickenham ( Volvo dealer ) i had a very interesting ride in a V70R that had been fiddled with to 400+bhp ....

Never forget that car , black , black leather , black windows , black alloys , madness :crazy:

Always had a soft spot for the T5's especially the lemon pastel yellow T5R's

Welcome on board.

Hello MB owners!

Lance,

Try this Independent. He comes well recommended by people I know who use him.

Steve Raynor
Mercedes First Ltd
Trent South Industrial Estate,
Little Tennis Street, Nottingham, NG2 4EQ
0115 950 7766

On my second AMG once you have one you will never look back. Full service record is important. W210 face lift is a better car, other posts have mentioned things to look out for which would be on my list to. My services have all been B's and are £400 to 500 at MB dealers. Some dealers offer discounted parts and service for cars over three years old which all helps.

Have a good look around condition varies, don't buy the first one you see.

Good luck, enjoy your purchase.

Richard

Thanks for the kind replies, unfortunatly I cant stretch to a new model, but am eagerly waiting for one to come up nearer to home. The one Ive listed is in Kent and I dont really want to go all that way for such a high miles example just in case I need use there warrenty, Ive decided that its going to have to be the E55 over the C43! I will be in trouble if i dont get an estate but for the right car its worth the risk!

If anyone hears of a E55 AMG going for £8K or less please PM me!
:D

Last edited:
When you get one will you be getting rid of the T5 ? ;)

Try to go for the normally aspirated ones as well. i think they are more reliable and deliver power smoother.
Not sure about the supercharged versions like the C32 w203

If anyone hears of a E55 AMG going for £8K or less please PM me!
:D
Just had a quick look nationally on Autotrader and you will be very lucky to match your requirements, nothing is impossible but folks tend to know the value of their cars and sometimes the cheapest buy turns out to be very expensive I saw a few saloons selling for £9995 ish.

Good luck with your quest
John

If you are buying from the period when rust was a problem (late nineties) I would make sure you get not just full service history but FullMBSH. Then you have a 30 year rust guarantee.

When you get one will you be getting rid of the T5 ? ;)

Mm not sure I might need to trade it in but will let you know!

I have seen one AMG E55 saloon for £6750 but its a fair way away and has done 133k its got full mb history for the first 100k or so then independent so i take it the 30 year warrenty wont be valid then!
What do you reckon?
Clicky

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...0&ukcarsearch_full.x=44&ukcarsearch_full.y=11

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom