Newbie looking for CLS55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doublekidneys

Car
Cupra 290
Hi there all!

I'm new here and new to Mercedes as I am now looking for my first one ever!

I've had a few cars, mostly BMW but nothing V8 and now I have the itch for AMG.

I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on the CLS55 and the current prices. I noticed there was a thread from 2021, and prices are still around 13-15k for 2006 models.

What should I look out for in particular with this car? Not sure if anyone has looked recently but I have seen a CLS reg. S90 EEL on eBay and I was wondering how this looks?

Just wanted to add, I would prefer it to be original and my strong preference is for it to be black! Not a fan of silver.

Look forward to some replies!

Vic

Last edited:
Keep checking the forum Vic. I believe a couple of members are about to put their CLS55's up for sale.

My CLS is for sale here.... :)

Good cls55 for sale.
Wants for nothing

Attachments

• IMG-20220224-WA0020.jpg
    IMG-20220224-WA0020.jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-20220224-WA0019.jpg
    IMG-20220224-WA0019.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-20220224-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20220224-WA0017.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 14
Look out for...

The standard stuff of impeccable service history, checking that works been done when its supposed to be done. Signs its been well looked after etc.

There ain't really big hidden nasties, airmatic legs can be problematic but check that its not sunk in any corners and it'll raise and lower correctly. See if you can get yourself a code reader.

Looms can break in the mirrors, if keyless the door handles break (drivers) and the oil pumps WHINE when cold so don't worry about that. Window regulators (drivers) can fail quite easily so check they operate ok.

Rust, these cars love the stuff if left unchecked, check rear arches and wings, esp on the inside where the stones chip, check the bottom quarters near the rear doors, the paint ppf runs about 5mm short and wears away and collects crud and can rust.

Other than that they're fantastic motors, a real wolf in sheep clothing.

Good look with the search, feel free to post any up here, I inspect a lot of cars in my job.

Mine’s going to be advertised soon. But you won’t like it because it’s silver ;)

Long term owners know what’s involved in keeping these beasts in top working order. Common issues are strut failures, airmatic pumps and leaks, conductor plate, keyless start button pins and loom, door handles, boot and mirror wiring looms, RMS rocker and diff oil leaks, worn suspension components - and that’s even before you’ve plugged it into STAR to see what other things need to be resolved such as ESP errors etc (some are red herrings). Look for evidence that these things have been taken care of otherwise you could be looking at a £5k bill even before taking care of the consumables - discs, pads, tyres, alignment / geo and serviceable items such as oil changes, spark plug, both batteries, supercharger oil, etc. Lightly tuned cars done correctly by a good MB Indy unleash the true potential of the car and are way better to drive than stock - try them both out. The details matter too: is it running the best tyres? And which fuel has been used? V Power or Tesco 99 which causes misfires in the ignition coils…

I realised I’d spent £10k in the last few years getting the car the near perfect. When I had the service done at Wayne Gates last month, Terry told me that this amount of money is normal to spend for people who really care about their cars and want to keep them in great condition.

Be patient and the right car will come :)

DD3C7726-DCA7-40C3-B055-9026F1228172.jpeg

That's a beauty @TheAnimal
Mine is Tenorite grey...but I love them in Silver!
I'd also add to that list rear SAM issues, Command issues (which is typical of the era).

Nice one Lenny. I’ve never seen one in your colour! Luckily until now I’ve never had any SAM or SBC issues. Gave it a quick clean in between the snow yesterday as I was drafting the advert for PH… These are great cars and they sound epic :)

8E178821-A3B0-48F8-8D38-A7A3EAF71497.jpeg
DBBBCD0A-817D-4762-B681-E2EEED9C55A4.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom