Newbie looking to join the classic mercedes ownership dream

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Theador

Car
C63 BiTurbo Estate W205
Newbie here, please be nice :cool:

After never having owned a Mercedes and not having owned a classic for some 10-15 years now; I've fallen in love with the W123's.

So I'm looking for all the info I can get, and then hopefully to get hold of one.

Thank-you, I look forward to pestering you all with questions in the near future; oh, and please tell me if I've got the wrong forum.

Kris

Hello and welcome to the forum. The 123 is an excellent example of simple elegance. Jolly nice cars. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that can help out with advise and recommendations.

I had a 230ce pillarless coupe - lovely car.

Set drivers seat to `relaxed position`, drape your arm over the centre armrest, snick the auto into `D` and pilot the old Merc using thumb and forefinger and savour the ride, it`s the only way to drive one!

In an age where every car manufacturer thinks we need hard, jarring `sports` suspension the gently damped, pliable set-up on a 123 is joy.
My 230 engine was smooth and torquey - went surprisingly well when in kick-down mode and would easily squirt past middle-lane motorway malingerers.

Wind down all four windows, and waft around in pillarless glory.

On the down side, rust...
Rust, rust,rust.
All mechanicals can be fixed easily with readily-available parts, but check everywhere for expensive to fix rust.

1235.jpg

Wot Esox said Your problem will be you will hardly pick up a sound W123 for anything but decent money. Most have rotted away or been extensively and expensively restored meaning the good ones command firm prices. ITS SIMPLY A RAVAGES OF TIME THING. SO yes rust - rust and maybe check for rust again. They are relatively simple cars so DIY is a distinct possibility for most servicing and repairs but unless you are handy with a MIG welder it will pay you to buy a car that's sound bodily. You might also consider a W126- They drive pretty similar and they were made till the early 90's

I would say, before committing to buy into the CE models, check some parts availabilty/prices. I'm pretty sure the windows surround rubber, if still available, costs an arm and a leg. A replacement side window(driver/front passenger) cost me over £200 each more than 5 years ago. Due to perished window rubbers both mine were scratched. To keep the car A1 I had to have them and any second hand one's were worse than mine.

Nevertheless, good luck and have some fun with the search !

Hello Kris

I've just sold my beautiful 280CE (click here) due to extensive rust. New owner is is exporting her to Malaysia for restoration.

For the pending Mot, extensive welding was required to sills / floorpans / front suspension upper mount / boot wells / maybe subframe attachment points. The rear screen rubber needed replacement and the sunroof leaked.

Apart from that, she looked great to the casual observer and drove like a Champ.

Check for rust everywhere - look under the carpets, seats, inside sunroof surround, boot wells & wheel arches. Press every inch of the undersea & be worried if you hear the sound like a packet of cornflakes being squeezed.

As has been said before on this forum, the W123 HIDES rust.

Lastly the 280 (M110) is a sublime motor but has a drink problem.

I'm probably look for another 230/280 CE or an SLC.

Good luck in your search.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Good call OP.

I love the W123 range. I will be looking for one next year maybe, but for special occasions only. Saloon is tidy but the estate and coupe are the pretty ones. I would like leather - super rare I think. But with the overall running costs being high in other areas, don't scrimp on your petrol bill. Buy a 280. You might as well!

I would hunt out existing quality of course unless you're a proper welder or fancy an expensive project. My w124 estate is very tidy but still needs detailed attention; any w123 is going to be ten years older and more demanding. Get the best and keep it dry and warm !! In fact keep it in your house and watch telly from the driver'sseat.

Beautiful cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom