Newbie ML63 AMG Owner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Raydus

Car
2014 ML63 AMG 5.5 Bi-Turbo, Black
Hello everyone!

A Newbie here!

Owner of an ML63 AMG 5.5 Bi-Turbo 2014 SUV, simply the best car I have ever had the privilege of owning.. previous cars owned, M2 (2015), M3 (2017), M4 (2019) - previous cars not worth mentioning..... other than a classic 1995 R34 GTR (2005)

Hoping to get to know a few members for guidance on upgrades and generally make friends, with all you like-minded MB people :)

Hope everyone is well, despite the last year we've all endured!

Attachments

• DB55AMG 1.jpg
    DB55AMG 1.jpg
    638.6 KB · Views: 23
  • DB55AMG 2.jpg
    DB55AMG 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
Welcome, MSL are a good place to start for upgrades

Nice car! M2,3 and 4. I am impressed! Welcome to the forum.

Nice car! M2,3 and 4. I am impressed! Welcome to the forum.
I should mention that although I owned those cars, they were on a 2 year lease. I got bored of BMW and fancied a change.. this is my first MB, love the ML it's a different beast altogether. And a damn site easier for me to slide in and out, being 6f4 🤣🤣

The only thing which let's it down in my opinion is the gear box. I guess I got used to the 9 speed BMW which was instant.. the 7 speed in the MB is sluggish in comparison. I guess the newer MB models will sport the 9 speed? (If I'm not mistaken) which I should imagine will be as blistering quick..

Just a shame after owning the ML since August 2020, I've ran into a problem, I've blown the Turbo's.. so after a couple of message exchanges with @Alps , I'll be sending it to MSL for turbo upgrades, down pipes, remap and dyno time...

Watch this space.....

Any gearbox is better than the smg 1 I had in the e36 m3. Doesn’t matter if you owned or leased them, as you had the chance to drive all 3 of them. The icing would have been an m5 as well, but we can’t have it all😀

Any gearbox is better than the smg 1 I had in the e36 m3. Doesn’t matter if you owned or leased them, as you had the chance to drive all 3 of them. The icing would have been an m5 as well, but we can’t have it all😀
Haha that is a good point.. the best out the 3, the M2 was by far the most exciting drive, had the M-perfprmance exhaust as an addition but that was purely for sound..

The ML sound however, from the moment I start that car, I cant help but chuckle to myself, in comparison to another car I've owned, its the best sounding.. I have had the centre resonator removed so get that extra bit of deep throat burble.. much to the dismay of my neighbours.. oh well! 🤷‍♂️🤣🤣

Congrats on the ML63 along with the best engine;):D
Acid can certainly improve the performance with a remap as I can attest.
The gearbox is a vast improvement on the 5speed 722.6 found in the E55. That took a lifetime to change gear.
I find the 7G+ in the biturbo pretty fast if you select Sport or Sport+.

Congrats on the ML63 along with the best engine;):D
Acid can certainly improve the performance with a remap as I can attest.
The gearbox is a vast improvement on the 5speed 722.6 found in the E55. That took a lifetime to change gear.
I find the 7G+ in the biturbo pretty fast if you select Sport or Sport+.
Thank you 😊

I can only compare the gearbox to the cars I had previously which were newer and had a 9 speed.. I suppose its not really an apples for apples by comparison, it was just what I was used too prior to the MB.. not saying its bad.. I've learnt and become accustom to its behaviour..

I can't wait to get the car up to Acid after recieving an email today on what can be done..

The car is unfortuablty already in bits at another garage just ascertain what was wrong with it in the first place.. (had an issue last week) I've been doing research all week. It never crossed my mind to join a forum. I got here today after a recommendation from @Alps, I sent a message wanting to buy a turbo, ended up here, now amongst MB guru's and fellow enthusiasts....

Just need to organise the car to be picked up and sent..

To potentially have upto 850hp and only one jockey, me.. game on! 🤣🤣

This a a good read on a 5.5 biturbo upgrade Acid did for one of the forum members cars.
Just to give you an idea on what to expect.

B
This a a good read on a 5.5 biturbo upgrade Acid did for one of the forum members cars.

Awesome will defo look through that.... appreciate the info, thank you 👍

Awesome will defo look through that.... appreciate the info, thank you

So I have just read the entire thread and I am lost for words to say the least... WOW! What a project from start to finish, I can't wait to get the car picked up and sent over to the God's of MLS for a touch or true wisdom... the composite car components seem to be pretty much bullet proof..

If there are any other mod recommendations I should consider, I'm all ears..

Thanks again for the link, we know my next steps...... 😁👍👍

Welcome to MBClub. You have fine taste in cars 👌🏻

One of the reasons that the gearbox is slower is because it’s a traditional torque converter automatic - rather than twin clutch - with a 3.5 tonne towing capacity.

The equivalent engine in other models of a similar vintage are not type approved for towing and so have a different multi-clutch arrangement which shifts faster.

Whilst you can change gears manually, the gearbox does it’s best work when it’s left to make it’s own decisions, and you’ll notice shift speed much less as a result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom