Newbie owner w202 - couple of inital probs!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

photoluka

Car
1998 C Class W202 Auto Esprit Estate
Hi Alll

Firstly hello I've recently bought a 1998 C200 Auto Esprit Estate and am generally really pleased - it's immaculate for age, no rust everything working. First car I've felt proud to own!

I'm determined to do more DIY on this car but am pretty much a novice but given the age/price I paid I want to do as much as I can myself for a change!

I have two small (hopefully!) problems. Other than these the car drives lovely.

1: The shift stick sometimes won't stay in D and you have to nudge it slightly and make sure its light comes on. Generally once it's there it's fine, but on setting off you have to make sure. Is this a bush problem on the bottom of the stick or some other adjustment? Any links/guides appreciated.

2: Their is an intermittent chirping from the belt I think. It doesn't seem to be related to the A/C which i read about. Doesn't happen when driving, tends to be when idling or very briefly when first touch accelerator. Is this relateed to the tension on the belt? Any advice/guides much appreciated!

Thanks
Luke

Welcome Luke. Someone will soon be here to answer your questions.

Hi welcome the belt will be the tensioner and needs a new belt for good measure

The gear stick it could have been a linkage rubber under the gearstick
Their is a rubber grommet which the linkage goes through it can wear very easy and I have replaced a few in the past

I hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Hi Luke ! :) (incidently, thats the name of my unborn son :) welcome to the forum, we always like to see pictures ;)

Thanks - by grommet do you mean shaft bushing as per this you tube video? Mercedes Benz automatic transmission shifter shaft bushing W202 - YouTube Wheres' the easiest place to pick these up?

RE: belt tensioner - does this need replacing or adjusting? would this be like this video "how to replace belt tensionor shock?" how to replace belt tensioner shock..mercedes w202 c230 - YouTube What sort of part costs am I looking at and wheres good to get them from!

As I said novice determined to learn!

thanks for all the welcomes -will get some pics up. Any further advice as per my last post much appreciated!

well from reading up on the internet I think I may need a new transmission bush for the auto transmission. I found a video guide on how to do it, but cannot find anywhere in the UK (Including ebay) where I can order this small bit of plastic! Any suggestions to this and my other queries....?
thanks
Luke

Hi,
For this part I would be looking at getting from the dealers, I doubt it will be much and you can guarentee the part will be correct.

Hi,welcome to the forum:thumb:

Thanks Andy - am i right in thinking it might just need adjusting. My only problem is the stick doesnt stay in 'D' and has to be nudged around to get it to stay where it is. What do I need to adjust and how. The video i've seen doesn't really explain this.

You might have a bent selector lever. It's quite common if the car has ever stuck in park and been forced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom