NEWBIE panicking like 'remember the days))

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chiefriley

Car
1999 cle
SO...i got my first MB last week, a 99 320 CLK AvantGarde Automatic with the 1 to 4 gear option..always been a BM guy..but loving the ride so far...

When i got the car he said truthfully that at times it would drive 'out of gear' i have experienced this..it almost stays in first and the rev counter goes and stays up, FIRST time i stopped pulled in OFF and ON and it seemed OK. He said he was told it need the tranny oil changing?

THIS MORNING..cold here in the UK, it wouldnt find drive, the D light was almost blinking but it wouldn't find it so i had to use the 1 to 4 to get to work...now i'm worried...

NOTES: sometimes in D it would 'judder' never cut out - the ABS/BAS/ASC lights are on (i've ordered a brake light switch)

PLEASE guys any help greatly appreciated, i don't want to tear to garage for the morons to sneer "well you shouldn't of bought a silly old big car" these cars for this money are unbelievable...even if they need a bit of love, just need some advice.

thanks in advance.
Steve.

Nope - that wont bring up transmission faults, only airbag and engine if you are lucky.

You need 'carsoft'
MB Carsoft 7.4 Multiplexer MCU controlled Interface for Mercedes Benz Free Ship | eBay

Try hoovering the gear stick! remove the trim (pull up the surround, then lift the console - possibly have to remove the arm rest). Might just be ikky things in the gear module. Doubt its oil change, thats more harsh changes than failed changes.

That kit will not work.

You need it plugged into a Star using the 32 pin diag port on a 208 CLK.

Independents such as me and dealers have the kit you will need. Codes will only be half the info. You need live data.

thanks again...thats what i feared, how much should i be looking at for someone to run it through the star...

steve.

It varies. I charge £20. Dealers about £100

The carsoft thing works on the 38pin - works fine on my 210 and 202. Interpreting the data is another question!

Steve

That can vary depending on how friendly and how much work is required. My Indie will usually charge about £60 for a session on STAR. However he has been known to settle on a cup of tea and some biscuits. I would be thinking about £60 minimum. I would then say that they may offset that cost against any actual repairs.

Where are you located?

i'm located in halifax west yorkshire, ive just ordered the 38 pin adapter as i realized it needed that, i know what you mean about interpreting the data...but i'm quite pc geeky, so hopefully i can dig some info out..

and by the way...you MB guys seem a lot less up your ****s than the BMW crowd, thanks guys.

steve

He said BMW.

Ban him! ;)

out of curiosity is there any help on here with reading codes, i know the BM forum had a section relating to it.

cheers

hahah...i said i 'had' BMWs...this is my first plunge, the ride is lot different...i'm LOVING the 'glide'

Well, the seller said he had been told the transmission fluid needed changing (which, if true, begs the question why he chose not to do so) so no matter what you are looking at fluid & filter change done properly, obviously better to get it on a proper diagnostic and any problems identified/sorted at the same time.

Best case could just be the fluid is knackered, especially if the problems show up more in the cold.

thanks,

i know what you mean about why he didn't do it, but i kind of know him..he has a 2 year old and another on the way , hence the coupe was doing the wifes nut in..so he couldn't put another penny into it...i'm aware i'm facing some bills...but colour is nice 'navy with ivory leather all in good nick, nice wheels, new tyres so i fell for her...

i wouldnt waste your time with code readers, get it to an indie with star

i know what your saying guys and i really appreciate it, i've rang my mechanic to get a price on the tranny fluid change, so i may ask him to look into it....

not got the price yet, looked at a DiY on here and it looks not 'too' frightening, just no access to raising the car..

remember to drain the torque converter :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom