Newbie Question - W124 300CE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon E

Hi,

I'm going to look at at 1990 W124 300CE later today. I have never toyed with the idea of Merc ownership until now...previously had company cars until decided that a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo was the future (until it drained my bank account!)...but I need a good motorway cruiser.

What kind of things can go wrong with them, what's the difference between the 12v and 24v apart from approx 30bhp? I get the impression that the 12v is more reliable but is it painfully slow? What kind of mpg do these things return?...so many questions!!!

Any help greatly appreciated and nice looking forum

Cheers

Simon

Welcome to the forum Simon!

300CE owners, please speak up! :)

If you can find a 300CE-24 in good condition and reasonably priced, buy it. I paid £5,500 for a 1990 G-reg and I am very happy with it. Look in the members gallery to see some pics of my car.

Don't expect low-end performance to be anything spectacular, as this land yacht really comes into its own when flying down the slip road approaching the motorway. The performance from 50 upwards is what this car was designed for - a competant motorway cruiser.

Not had the car long enough to determine the mpg, although if you don't drive like a loon, expect figures between 25-28. Not brilliant, but it is a 3-litre.

3 things have been brought to my attention thus far:

1 - The aircon pump is totally shot at - having it replaced on Saturday.

2- My kickdown button has fallen off :p Hopefully a securing clip of some description will sort that out.

3- The ignition barrel needs replacing, as it takes a couple of tried to turn the electrics on.

However, test drive one then gawk at how nice the 124 coupe really is - especially with all the windows down :)

Good luck :)

--
Antony

All I can say is that the 230 *is* underpowered.

The 300 should be fine...slower than your Fiat Turbo for sure but not a slug by any means. Fuel consumption on the motorway is pretty good below 80 at around 30MPG. Around town, you will see around 20 MPG.

Check here http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2036&highlight=300ce

And Here http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1852&highlight=guide for previous posts on the same subject.

I know two very good CE's for sale at the moment, One is a rag top that can be found on ebay at the moment, prolly £10k or thereabouts. I saw it last weekend - lovely clean example but only a 220. :( The other is a 300, owned currently by a Harley Street Dentist, absolute A1 condition according to the workshop that does the work on the car. The current owner was such a fanatic that it had a complete strip down/oven bake respray (about £5k worth of work) only ten months ago. If you want the details gimme a shout, at the very least its prolly worth a look at it to compare it against others.

Last edited:
Jeez, the CE Cabrios certainly hold their value well. Didn't realise they were so exbenzive.

--
Antony

Thanks very much chaps.

Do you have details of the Harley Street 300CE? I'm going to see one in Stoke Poges (in Autotrader) this evening...anyone been to see it?

Simon

I could save you some legwork if you want Simon E.

I work in Stoke Poges (its a very small place) so I could take a look at it now and send some Pics :)

What time are you going to see it, I could stay a bit late at work and have a look with you if you want.

I have the number for the 300 in my glovebox so depending on whether (a) We meet later or (b) the rain eases off enough for me to run to the car and get the number, your sure to get it one way or another.

Hi Sp!ke,

Viewing it at 7:00pm this evening. If you have some pointers or are free that would be great as value an expert opnion

Simon

Ummm... I wouldnt call myself and expert but I know most of the faults through ownership.

7:00 is pushing it a little but I'll see if I can get permission from the boss.

Is it a private sale or is it the Pagini dealer that's selling it?

It's a private sale, elderly couple who are retiring....keeping the Laguna and off-ing the CE.

If it's too late for you, don't worry. I wouldn't want anyone to stay at work late, expecially on a Monday night but thanks for the offer.

Is there a Pagani dealer in Stoke Poges then.....only a few hundred £K over budget!!!

Yeah there is a Pagine dealer... didnt trust me enough for a test drive (wonder why? LOL) They often sell all manner of exotic cars that they get in on part X. Loads of MB's seem to pass through their doors also.

If you could bring it forward to 630 it wouldnt be a problem - can you?

Hi Sp!ke,

Unfortunately I can't bring it forward as won't be able to get away from work early enough to get there for 6:30 but again, thanks for the offer.

Let me know if you want to go look at it anyway as have address/numbers.

What do you P/X for a Zonda??!!...will have a stary-eyed gawp through the window :)))

I've just spoken to the owner and explained the link between us. He welcomed me over to have a look at the car. I'll be going over around 5'ish. So if you PM me with your number, I'll tell you what if anything I have found and perhaps let you know what to look for before you get there.

I must say, he sounds a nice chap to do business with so I have a positive feeling about this before even looking at the car. :bannana:

Keep you posted

Look out for Oil leaking from the head gasket!

And clonks form the Suspension.

And Play in the Steering

And Viscous Fans should engage when hot

And Aircon should be bloody cold (not slightly cold)

And Check for Cooling System leaks

And Check for evidence of Clocking

And Rust around the Sunroof

And Check Gearchanges are smooth without flaring

And Kickdown works

And............................er......... I think I've depressed myself ;)

Thanks chaps for all your help, excellent forum.

Will add a report tomorrow when I've had a good nose around

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon - welcome and I hope all goes well.

Keep us posted on how you fare.

Last edited:
Originally posted by PaulG
And Kickdown works...

hehe, the kickdown button on my 300CE-24 has fallen off - so definitely check that it works properly and is secure.

The button works, but it needs securing behind the accelerator, so at the moment I have to put up with no kickdown.

--
Antony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom