Newbie questions on W126 Japanese imports

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidmi

Having run a 300SE a couple of years ago (90K to 120K faultless miles) I am now looking at the V8s and attracted by the low mileage LHD imports from Japan that are around. I have already had a very low mileage Honda import which caused no problems at all but are there any special things to watch out for with the W126 SEC's. The little telescopic parking 'pole' indicates a Japanese spec to me and I assume rustproofing wasn't top of the agenda for these models but is under 50K miles in 20 years 'bad' for these engines? Your advice appreciated. Can someone also confirm the towing capacity on a V8 SEC? I am guessing around 1500-2000 kg and plan towing a lightweight vintage sports car (750-800 kg) over longish distances.

Actually no - they are not. Because in Japan imports were so rare, they normally weren't adapted (esp US cars) Later, this came a point of pride in an import car. So many MB's, BMW's etc. sold in Japan are LHD, not RHD as you would expect.

I worked in Japan for couple of years - utterly amazing car market.

The W126 ARE GREAT CARS--------BUT VERY PRONE TO RUST [partly due to the type of high strength steel used in their chassis construction] . The chemical reaction

Fe +O2 = RUST still holds good in Japan as anywhere else. If they have American spec rather than European spec engines they may also be a bit "strangled" by emission control mods for these markets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom