Newbie returning - E500 update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Walt Jabsco

Car
E500 (W212)
Returning to the forum after an almost embarrassing absence :eek:

However, returning with news that my much loved and well traveled W211 E500 has just been replaced, or should that be reincarnated, as a W212 E500

First impressions after a weekend of country roads, motorway into London, drive around the City and home again are very good. Pleased with the upgrade :cool:

media.jpg

A man of good taste. Would be interested in how you compare the two. I had two 211 E500's and am still tempted by a 212 version...

A man of good taste. Would be interested in how you compare the two. I had two 211 E500's and am still tempted by a 212 version...

Hi CP, bear in mind that I only swapped W211 for W212 last Wednesday and the mileage since hasn't been that great, but it has been a good mixture of terrain.

Initial observations and comparisons:

The W212 E500 just feels like a much more modern car all around. My W211 was Nov '04 and had done almost 120k. Stepping from a 10 yr old product into a 4 year old, you really notice the difference. I'd been in a few diesel W212s as taxi rides, so I knew what to expect here.

On the road, the W212 feel more taught and light footed. The turn in feels sharper and you certainly noice the extra ooomph from the 5.5 versus the old 5.0. My old W211 never felt like a slouch, but this feels properly quick.

The road noise seem to be a little higher when cruising on the motorway, and I half expected this from the bigger and lower profile tyres. I also expected the ride to be a bit firmer from the 18 inch AMG wheels with low profiles (my old W211 had the stock 17 inch five spoke E500 wheels with 45s) I'm pleased to report that the ride is good, and that using the comfort setting on the airmatic makes it very smooth - into sport when the need arrives :devil:

This is a big relief for me as the W212 E500 is down as an "E500 Sport" and I was coming out of an Aventgarde. I do quite a lot of motorway miles and I've tried, considered and don't really like the AMG E55 & 63 products. I'm getting old and find them a bit too OTT for what I want and need. The E500 is the thinking mans choice IMHO and I'm happy that my new "Sport" isn't too sporty.

Other observations:

• Like the new seats and find the lumber adjustments easier to control than the old ones. Miss that nappa leather from my old one but had to compromise there.
  • It's going to take me a while to get used to the new command SatNav and radio - I know it's better, it's just new to me!
  • Yet to work out what how the mpg figure will compare, but do I really care?

IMG_2201.jpg

Out with the old, in with the new...

Hi there. Many thanks for your observations. I agree that there is a big difference between the two engines - the 5.5 really is special and when you want it to does fly - pretty much the perfect Q-Car as so few people have a clue what it is. The thing I most noticed between the two apart from the extra brawn is the amount of heat the 5.5 retains hours after use. Fuel consumption was pretty similar even though the 5.5 revved lower.

My view re the road noise is that it would be partly down to the increased tyre width and size - I've gone the other way - but also due to the 212 being much quieter overall which makes the road noise from the tyres more prevalent. That's my theory anyway!

I had a feeling the ride would be excellent and I prefer the "tighter" feel of the 212 although the 211's were very comfortable in an old slipper-kind of way. Even without Air Suspension the 212 seems to just destroy long journeys so yours will be even better.

Hope you enjoy it - they are rare but there have been a few on sale recently and maybe one day I'll get the correct number of cylinders under my bonnet again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom