Newbie seeking Sat Nav advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

firstmercedes

Car
C220 Sport Cdi Auto blue efficiency W204
Hi.
Have recently parted with my X type jag and treated myself to a 2011 plate C220 Sport. Only been driving the car for a few days and absolutely love it so far. This is also my first diesel motor so am enjoying a big saving after a thirsty 2.5 V6 petrol engine. Loved my Jag but was becoming unreliable and expensive so enjoying exploring my new car.
Minor niggles are: Seems a very hard ride especially at very low speed over speed bumps etc even though tyres are inflated correctly. Not massively keen on parking sensor system. I’m used to audible beeps of increasing regularity when getting closer to obstacle – this was great as an alert to people walking near car when moving out of parking space etc. It seems everything is geared toward the visual guides with a beep when very close.
Also the Bluetooth won’t recognise my cheapie Moto phone but no big deal.
But these are ‘minor’ niggles and I guess it’s just getting used to something new and I really do look forward to driving the car and love all of the info that’s available and the ability to tailor lots of settings to personal requirements and taste. And of course it drives superbly (paddle shift was fun, but probs safer in auto most of the time) and looks beautiful perched on my drive.
Anyway, the point of this lengthy intro is to request some help with the Sat Nav. I have the owners manual which is very detailed to say the least (I am constantly learning more about my new car) and a manual for the Audio 20 system but nothing on the Sat Nav.
I have found by accident that I can issue voice commands for destinations (excellent, although system is struggling with my Brummie accent, who can blame it) but cannot find a way to enter a destination any other way. I’ve googled this endlessly and the screen portrayed always shows with options above and below map – mine doesn’t. Only options are map and info, neither of which help in this instance.
So my question is a)how do I get a map screen with a destination entry option or b)how can I get a manual or online pdf file for the Sat Nav? I believe it is a Becker Pilot.
Any suggestions appreciated – thanks.

firstmercedes said:
Hi. Have recently parted with my X type jag and treated myself to a 2011 plate C220 Sport. Only been driving the car for a few days and absolutely love it so far. This is also my first diesel motor so am enjoying a big saving after a thirsty 2.5 V6 petrol engine. Loved my Jag but was becoming unreliable and expensive so enjoying exploring my new car. Minor niggles are: Seems a very hard ride especially at very low speed over speed bumps etc even though tyres are inflated correctly. Not massively keen on parking sensor system. I’m used to audible beeps of increasing regularity when getting closer to obstacle – this was great as an alert to people walking near car when moving out of parking space etc. It seems everything is geared toward the visual guides with a beep when very close. Also the Bluetooth won’t recognise my cheapie Moto phone but no big deal. But these are ‘minor’ niggles and I guess it’s just getting used to something new and I really do look forward to driving the car and love all of the info that’s available and the ability to tailor lots of settings to personal requirements and taste. And of course it drives superbly (paddle shift was fun, but probs safer in auto most of the time) and looks beautiful perched on my drive. Anyway, the point of this lengthy intro is to request some help with the Sat Nav. I have the owners manual which is very detailed to say the least (I am constantly learning more about my new car) and a manual for the Audio 20 system but nothing on the Sat Nav. I have found by accident that I can issue voice commands for destinations (excellent, although system is struggling with my Brummie accent, who can blame it) but cannot find a way to enter a destination any other way. I’ve googled this endlessly and the screen portrayed always shows with options above and below map – mine doesn’t. Only options are map and info, neither of which help in this instance. So my question is a)how do I get a map screen with a destination entry option or b)how can I get a manual or online pdf file for the Sat Nav? I believe it is a Becker Pilot. Any suggestions appreciated – thanks.

If you have a comand unit, press the navi key to display the map on the screen. Then pull back on the scroll wheel will bring up the lower menus such as destination.

If you have audio 20 with a Becker map unit plunged in the glove box, follow as above but rather than pull the scroll wheel back press the return key and a sub menu should pop up.

For clarity a Becker map unit will display like this

Attachments

• image-2459720998.jpg
    image-2459720998.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 22
And this on screen map

Attachments

• image-3584126640.jpg
    image-3584126640.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 20
Thanks for your help on this. Do you know of any source for a hard copy manual or online resource please?
Another question is: what are the 2 small symbols underneath the map? One looks like screw with a number next to it.

Thanks for your help on this. Do you know of any source for a hard copy manual or online resource please?
Another question is: what are the 2 small symbols underneath the map? One looks like screw with a number next to it.

Becker operating info is here http://www.mybecker.com/enUK/mainnavigation/becker-map-pilot/downloads/

I have the Becker unit and its excellent. Before you get too used to it how it is, follow the instructions on the site and do the update routines. Mine took ages to download and install everything but very much better for the effort , incidentally at no cost :thumb:

http://www.mybecker.com/enUK/main-navigation/becker-map-pilot/overview/

Big thanks Ditch. Sorry, I was researching and did not notice your post come in. I'm not sure how this update thing works. In my last car, there was a CD and as time marched on, I was often in no mans land on the map but actually on a recently built road. Alternatively, using TomTom was better as this could be updated online. I will take some time to read your input in more detail. Thanks again.

Okay, so this looks like the TomTom idea of updating online which is great. I bought the car second hand so I guess the 'free' updates are only available to the original purchasers? I will give it try in the next couple of days. Thanks so much for your input on this.

Big thanks Ditch. Sorry, I was researching and did not notice your post come in. I'm not sure how this update thing works. In my last car, there was a CD and as time marched on, I was often in no mans land on the map but actually on a recently built road. Alternatively, using TomTom was better as this could be updated online. I will take some time to read your input in more detail. Thanks again.

The Becker unit is plugged in the glove box. It's a small black square box located on the upper side.

Just slide it out, grab a USB lead and plug it in to your computer. The rest is fairly straightforward.

Okay, so this looks like the TomTom idea of updating online which is great. I bought the car second hand so I guess the 'free' updates are only available to the original purchasers? I will give it try in the next couple of days. Thanks so much for your input on this.

I got mine s/h. When I plugged it into the computer and the app it decided I needed a firmware update. This meant wiping everything. Following the firmware update it offered me the European maps database at no cost to replace those that disappeared, which of course I grabbed.

I'm not sure if it did all of this out of the goodness of its heart as it was a big update or if I was entitled to the all in for 6 months as a newly registered user irrespective of the unit history.

I don't claim to be an expert but I'm sure happy with it.

The only thing I bought for it and downloaded for 14 euros (or so) is the speed camera database. :cool:

Following all the above advice, I've located the Map Pilot & plugged into PC. The good news is that there is a User Manual on the device which answers lots of my questions. The downer is that the Content Manager doesn't recognise that the device is connected despite me being able to see all the files on it?
Not a big deal as there is no indication it needs updating.
So thanks so much for everyone's input into this.
I must admit I did hate leaving the Jag forum but this looks equally helpful.
I really love this car :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom