Newbie. SL advice needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If its a cam chain does that mean we are talking about a good old fashion push rod engine?

Not as such. It's a DOHC quad-cam with VVT.

As mentioned, for the '99 model year the V8 changed to 3 valves per cyl.; slightly lower emissions and slightly better MPG.

There's a graph somewhere here showing the BHP/torque curves of both engine versions. IIRC bhp is lower on the later engine, but it has a flatter torque curve.

Edit: here you go http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=665286&postcount=13

Last edited:
I think my budget puts me aroung a 1990 to 1995 model. However theres a world of difference between the advert and the actual condition of the car! Ive seen a advert for a 1995 SL320 with 125K on the clock and FMBSH. Chap is asking £5995.00. I think its a one family owned car.
Can only hope its had all the TLC MB can give and the owner has not asked for a basic oil change every year and thats all! I can be a little stubbern about this and like to see reciepts for work, not just a stamp in the book.
Looks good in the pics with metalic dark blue paint and cream leather. Ive mailed the seller to see if it has the rear seats as Ive 2 small children that I do ferry around each day.

Ive mailed the seller to see if it has the rear seats as Ive 2 small children that I do ferry around each day.

Yup the rear seats would have been a cost option on a 320.

Note that they are not strictly legal for kids any more. They only have lap belts, so you can't use a booster or child seat. If used regularly you'd need to get a 3-point conversion done on them really.

Is that the one with 16 spark plugs to change !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes the later V8 has twin plugs (and no VVT).

It is - only takes an hour but plugs costs £75.

I still prefer the subtle styling changes of the 99 facelift.

320 vs 500 has been done to death to be honest. Buy a '95 on M119 as you get the coil packs over the problematic distributors.

V8 = stump-pulling torque from very low revs. Adds to the luxurious experience. I'd go the whole hog if I were you.

I bought my 97 SL500 on 1 November this year. I'd been looking for a while and dismissed many online, but broke the golden rule and bought the first one I looked at. No regrets thus far - it's utterly wonderful, feels bulletproof and looks three years old.

3092121107_eed1440882_b.jpg

3092225869_b4d444bf11_b.jpg

Nice gaff Kraftwerk. Any chance of a GTG there?
Yeah, let's sort it out for the New Year. I only use it at weekends.

The windmill, or the one with the big porch? :D

The bit you can see is actually the servants' quarters...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom