Newbie (sort of) with a Viano

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WhiteDuck

Car
Viano Ambiente 2.2 CDI LWB auto 2004
I'm Tony and I live in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. Not a total newbie, I was here before with an W124 E300 Diesel I had for 5 years.

After owning two anonymous SEATs, I have just bought a 2004 Viano 2.2 CDI Ambiente auto which I will be equipping as a day van and occasional overnight camper. Looking forward to the usual friendly advice and banter. :confused:

180 people viewed the above message. Not one of those hundred and eighty could even manage to type "Hi" in response. Too much to ask?

I expect I will now be banned for having the sheer effrontery to say that.

Is that you, Dieselman? :D

Anyway,it has been many years since you were last here, Tony. What happened to your E300? Do you still have an album on here under your old tag? What was your old tag? Why on earth would you buy two Seats?
Anyway, a lot has been happening here since you last visited. Various people have come and some have gone. Many of the longer standing members say the forum has changed quite a lot, morphing from purely technical help to more social media. The prevailing view is that many people now lease their cars from new for a few years and then swap for a new one so don't need the technical help. What do you think?
There are still many people who visit for help though. Quite a lot seem to pop up only when they want something which is a shame but others hang around for the social side of things. Did you get snow in Aylesbury today? Nice part of the world that. Why did you choose the Vianno rather than a Vito out of interest?
Are you a Top Gear fan? Well, there has been some great natter on here about JC and crew. Do you like jokes? There is a long running joke thread running in Off Topic. And don't forget the caption competition. Some blinding play on words by several members. Me, I don't do so well because I tend to ramble.
Do you like hiking? I don't. I used do it a lot but now I have to drive for miles to reach anywhere half decent to walk so I just keep driving and have a pub lunch instead.
There is a great thread running where someone is restoring an old and quite rare model. Always good for a read and the OP is always looking for advice on the best way to do things.
Two people were banned from the forum recently. I say two but it may have been more but we are not allowed to talk about it. Now and again, even though we are not allowed, we manage to slip a little debate under the radar that has both political and religious overtones. Makes me feel like a little boy but not in an Operation Yewtree way, you realise. Just being naughty and keeping just the right side of the Moderators. Do you like to be naughty sometimes? What a strange word; Moderator. Sounds like a character from Star Trek.
A nice little brain tease sometimes is to try and think of obscure or obtuse connections for that thread where you say the next thing that comes into your mind based on the previous word. I can't remember what it is called for the life of me. Do you ever go into a room and forget why you went in there and what you were going to get? I do that all the time.
You may be lucky because there will likely be people dropping out but worth looking at the Events section for the May GTG. There is a reserve list but the first seventy five are bound to change due to life generally getting in the way.
I'm not sure I have covered everything but an old hand like you will catch up quickly. I guess the only thing left to say is Hi Ho, Grumpy.:devil::D

Last edited:
Hello & welcome to the forum, I hope you don't carried away with the retro fitting..

Welcome to the forum. I'm a Viano owner too. 3.0 v6 Bit of a gas guzzler but not a problem with diesel at 110p.

Thank you for all your replies! :D

Particular thanks to Giantvanman - it's like when you start watching Coronation Street after a three year gap and someone brings you up to date with everything that's been going on. Superb!

Trapperjohn - I believe we met at Ian Walker's workshop. My dark blue E300D was transformed by Ian's efforts into the car it always should have been, and probably was when new. I see W124 Works has morphed into TMS. Whatever it's called, Ian is a great guy and I wish him continuing success and a ready supply of Hobnobs.

MB James - I really wanted a 120 CDI 3.0, so I'm jealous! But they were out of my price range.

On my Viano, I have no great expectations. I know it's just a van dressed up as a car, but I wanted something big that wasn't a VW Caravelle or Transporter. Health reasons mean I need an auto and the DSG 'boxes in VWs of an age I can afford tend to give trouble. Why not a Vito? Because all the Vitos I looked at were 'plus VAT' taking them out of my price range. I know you can sometimes find a Vito that doesn't need VAT added but I had waited long enough and found a one-owner Viano at a reasonable price.

Thank you all again for the warm welcome. :bannana:

Tony.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom