Newbie, thing in boot, change km on Speedo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's the Aux battery that keeps things going when Stop/Start operates, together with the gubbins to monitor it's condition.

The main starter battery is under the bonnet, under a cover on the passenger side of the firewall bulkhead.

Edit: @markjay beat me to it!
I thought W212 aux batteries are under the bonnet like in W211. Haven’t changed one on my S212 so wasn’t 100% sure.

On UK cars, MB replaced the permanent external temperature display with a permanent Km/h display.

The external temperature display is only available on UK cars with the Standard (default display), i.e. when the odometer is showing in the instrument cluster.

You can remove the UK-specific configuration from the instrument cluster using MB STAR (this is known as 'delete UK mod'). This will revert the instrument cluster to the default world-wide configuration. If you do that, then where the Km/h is showing now, you will have the external temperature showing permanently.

But this is not something that the owner can change from the instrument cluster menu, i.e. as said it needs to be done by a technician using STAR.
I think on W211 I could chose in settings which one I want to be displayed but I don’t think I saw this option on S212, so probably it can be done via Star but can’t see the point of changing it when there is an option of digital speed display anyway.

...but can’t see the point of changing it when there is an option of digital speed display anyway.

On those models where the UK configuration replaced the external temperature display with the (rather useless) Km/h, some owners might wan to reclaim the precious screen space by getting the temp display back.

I do find it annoying that I have to change from the Navigation view or the Digital Speedometer view etc to the Standard Odometer view just to check the outside temp, then change back - which can be distracting, while the Km/h display serves no real purpose (in the UK).

I had UK delete mod done on my previous car, didn't do it (yet) on the current one.

I do find it annoying that I have to change from the Navigation view or the Digital Speedometer view etc to the Standard Odometer view just to check the outside temp

It's even more of a faff on our S203 - you have to go to the odometer view, then page up to see the outside temp. On the Vito (same year) the temp is on the odometer view itself.

On UK cars, MB replaced the permanent external temperature display with a permanent Km/h display.

The external temperature display is only available on UK cars with the Standard (default display), i.e. when the odometer is showing in the instrument cluster.

You can remove the UK-specific configuration from the instrument cluster using MB STAR (this is known as 'delete UK mod'). This will revert the instrument cluster to the default world-wide configuration. If you do that, then where the Km/h is showing now, you will have the external temperature showing permanently.

But this is not something that the owner can change from the instrument cluster menu, i.e. as said it needs to be done by a technician using STAR.
I would prefer that, thank you for the advice

I followed an Italian wagon for over 10 miles on rural roads on Wednesday,
20ish in 30 limits, 30 in 50 limits. He needs a MPH display.

Hi, just taken delivery of my first ever Merc, its a 2012 W212 E220

Getting used to her, just two quick things I cannot find in the manuals.

On the Display within the speedo, how do I change of get rid of the speed in KM (to the left of 'ECO') I'd prefer it in MILES or gone to be honest.

View attachment 82667

Secondly what is this contraption in the boot near the spare wheel.

View attachment 82668

Thank you
That 'contraption' in the boot is just something else to go wrong...and go wrong it will. keep an eye on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom