Newbie thinking about a W203...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

georgeg

Car
C220 CDI
So it is time to replace my current car. And after comparing A4, 3-series and W203 it seems the MB W203 is the best value for money.

There seems to be loads on Autotrader, and prefer a facelift model, although I can't argue with the prices of the pre-facelift models.

Here is my question, was the facelift largely cosmetic? Or was there other "under the skin" improvements as well?

My current feeling is either a C200K Auto or a C220 CDI Auto with circa 50,000 miles on. What are the reliability of these?

Looking around the forums it doesn't seem there is much that goes wrong on these.

Anything to look out for?

One more thing, can't seem to understand what the spec difference between Elegance and Avantgarde is... :dk:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you can stretch to it the C270 is the one followed by the 220. Facelifted cars are nicer to have and do have improvements made to the painting process etc.

Good luck, let us know what you get.

Post 1st Q 2003 = galvanised, so far less rust potential than earlies 203's.
Post 1st Q 2004 = nano paint, which is supposed to be harder and more durable.

As Steve says, the C270 is the engine of choice - you might find a 220 a bit gutless.

Elegance - 16" wheels as standard, 17" optional, enough toys without having too many, softer more comfortable ride.
Avantgard - 17" wheels as standard, firmer suspension so firmer (but more precise) ride. Loads of electrical toys - steering wheel adjustment etc - to go wrong and cost money!.

Had my C270cdi estate for 3 1/2 years and loved it - would still have it but for a lovely S204 that came available!

Pre-facelifts have the 'half moon' speedo which is very cheap looking like the rest of the early switchgear.

Thanks for the responses so far.

My spec requirement is heated leather seats and parkin sensors, was this standard on Elegance? or was it an optional extras?

The other big change for the facelifts was the introduction of MOST to the electronics - this will give better options for connecting to phones etc, although earlier models can still be adapted. some 04 cars have this.

Hello and welcome to the forum George.

Being a fairly new convert myself (9 months) I have to say how pleased I am with my facelift C270 Avantgarde. As for the differences between pre and post facelift, there are in addition to those mentioned by Chrishazle, several cosmetic changes, as you have noted, some of which include revised headlights, front and rear bumper styling, instrument cluster as mentioned by killerhertz and audio system.

It is also a bit confusing regarding the toys (extras). Most of these were optional on both Elegance and Avantgarde, so some will have 'toys' that others don't. A few among the optional extras are standard 17" or *staggered 17" wheels (*wider back wheels) tinted glass, telephone pre-installed wiring, (all have the phone buttons on the steering wheel and centre console, but not all have the necessary wiring, socket in the centre armrest and aerial) xenon headlights, rain sensing wipers, multi CD player (6), Comand sat-nav, heated seats, auto dimming rear view interior and drivers door mirrors and folding mirrors, parking sensors front and/or rear, to name but a few.
Sorry if that has confused instead of helping you, but I'm still learning myself and have probably missed some of the optional toys and someone may correct me on those I have listed.
One common fault with all these C Class cars seems to be the thermostats failing, so check that they reach 80º or just above fairly quickly. Diesels take longer than petrol cars.
Obviously go for one with a Full Service History.
Mine is the Sport Edition, which includes a few of the above toys and pictures are in my gallery.

Hope you find a cracker. :bannana:

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice so far...

My thinking is spending about £7-£8K on one with most of the options... But then a pre-facelift one is sub £5K which to be honest is very tempting, and as it seems the face lift is mostly cosmetic a pre facelift does becomes a deal that would leave a couple of £'s in the kitty for other stuff.

Will update once I have made my decision (or mistake)

At that budget , you might just scrape into W204 territory - although you would be looking at high mileage/unloved examples .

Do bear it in mind as the 204 might still be worth more than a 203 if you come to change it in a few years ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom