Newbie to site just need a bit of advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sunshine26

Car
E class 320cdi
Hi everyone just brought an 02 plate mercedes e class w210 diesel automatic have gone from a Vectra to this and WOW what a difference in car amazing but first off the cars done 127000 miles with FSH upto March 2013 and all previous services are just oil change and mot upto now! It's due mot in March and wanna get a service is there anything in particular I need doing at this time seeing as it hasn't had much done previously??? There's a couple more niggly bits I wanna ask aswell
1: in the morning when I first start it makes a clicking noise on turn over which then goes once idling it also does on every turn over but not as bad on cold start any ideas???
2: some times wether engine hot or cold at idle the revs dips a little or drops a little and the interior lights dim as the Rev drops aswell very Wierd any ideas would be great??
thanks in advance everyone for any help I get

If its had no more than just oil changes, a few things on the W210 that you should do:

1) Fuel Filter (has it been done and when)
2) ATF fluid change (see if its been done, it should be done approx every 50k, others will say more or less, but it should have been done at least twice at this mileage)
3) Glowplugs: when were they done?
4) Grease the mono wiper, look at the How to section on this forum.

1) The clicking does it come from the heater/blowers?
2) No idea, alternator??

Also the biggest issue with the 210 is rust, so get underneath it, and have a good look, wings, boot lock, subframe, and if there is none, get some rustproofer on asap.

Last edited:
Hi thanks for a reply m8
I can't see anything that's says the fuel filter or atf fluid has been changed or glow plugs changed I've got history from 2007 to 2012 and that's it and clicking comes from under Bonnet so not completely sure and there's rust on the front wings but nothing serious and sub frame looks in pretty good nick for year i think!!

As it goes just been out fuel was just under quarter of a tank just stuck 20 quid in it and now it's now the revs are not dipping down at idle very Wierd

weird

Dodgy fuel? Is this the first time you filled it up?

As it goes just been out fuel was just under quarter of a tank just stuck 20 quid in it and now it's now the revs are not dipping down at idle very Wierd

Because engine is now hot, or the new fuel unblocked some crud from the fuel filter?

No I stuck 50 quid in it the weekend but this idle problem only started this morning so not sure engine can be hot or cold and still does it but since I just stuck some fuel in problem seems to have gone

Vacuum leak? Check all of the vacuum hoses.

Is there a how to on here or any ideas of location of the vacuum hoses??
Thanks gbjeppm

It only does the Rev on idle dipping when cold when it's warmed up its fine any ideas??

It might be the maf sensor, or the alternator bearing, which might cause the dimming of the lights...
Congrats on the buy, i am sure you will enjoy it.

Hopefully not the alternator says there about 300 quid to buy new bloody hell : //

Lights dimming and revs dropping at idle is a classic sign of a sudden electrical load - usually inductive. An electric engine fan is a good example but highly unlikely in this weather.
Might be worth turning a few consumables off and seeing if this affects it.

It's so strange cos when I start her in the morning it does it then after about 10 mins of getting annoyed of it I turn the engine on and off and doesn't do it once re started so it can't be the alternator for sure any ideas any one

Ok hold that thought ignore that comment I just wrote it's doing it again now I've turned all the lights off the radio and the heater and still doing it really bugging me now!! I'm sitting in the car right now

I'm sitting here and the temperature guage is between 40 and 80 and the left fan is on constant for the past 5 minutes is this normal I'm not sure???

And the thermometer keeps going up and down lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom