Newbie with a rattle !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jf210

Car
E210 240 ESTATE
Hi all,
Newbie here with my first merc, an E class 210 v6 2.4.(145k)
Question is when i start it for the first time in the morning the engine is noisy for 2-3 secs, then all fine.I assume this is because of oil draining away overnight. Is this normal ,or does something need looking at?.
Thanks, John.

Welcome to the forum. :) Could be one of the oilways blocked an engine flush may help.

I think its completely normal. Don't worry about it.

If it continues for more than a few seconds after start up then an engine flush may help. I'd also use 0W40 fully synthetic oil as well.

My e240 does it as well during cold weather. I use 5 30 castrol edge throughout, when fresh from the oil service less frequent but the closer you get to the next service you notice it at cold starts for a few secs. I think other 240 owners have mentioned it as well.

Wifes 320 did the same thing the other day of course she hadnt noticed it was just my keen ears, i asked her to check oil the next time she was parked somewhere flat, it needed 1 litre adding and hasnt made the noise since.

Lynall

Thanks for your fast reply's ,nice to hear it's not uncommon. i know the engine has a 10w 40 oil in it, is that ok?, cheers, John.

Run both our cars on 10/40 never been any bother, actually might even be 15/40 have to look.

Everyones a bit hung up on mobil one and the like, its not a racing car engine, very understressed, any decent oil will do the job.

Lynall

true, but the 0W40 oil will get through the oilways more quickly and reduce top end clatter on cold start.

Well it does on both of my cars anyway.

Pretty certain the oil should already be there due to the non return valve.

Old cars used to have it built into the oil filter not sure where it is on the mercs.

Lynall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom