Newbie with W213 annoying questions! :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidmusgrove

Car
E220
Hi everyone, and thanks for letting me be a member of the group.
Ive just got a 17 plate W213 in Obsidian Black and its a great car, but with a couple of annoyances which i hope someone can assist by telling me how to fix!

The tyre pressures on the service screen are measured in kPa. Can I change this setting to psi? Nothing in the manual about doing it.

Also on the same screen right in front of the driver, right at the bottom of the screen it is showing km/h - even though all the rest of the car is showing miles.

Lastly - has anyone figured out a way to get speed camera alerts on the satnav? The mapping is Garmin, but i noticed that the traffic is TomTom...I assume you may be able to do this using the center armrest USB inputs?

Thanks alot. Now off for a nice read of the forum...:eek:

Why on earth do they have to start quoting tyre pressures in kiloPascals. It might be the correct SI metric unit for pressure but no one outside a science lab uses it. I've only just got the hang of bars. At least the conversion to bar is a simple factor of 100 e.g 2.3 Bar = 230 KPa.

The kph display is a MB 'feature' for UK cars, basically you are stuck with it.

I believe it can be changed on Star by deleting the UK mode, but this is probably not advisable for a brand new car under warranty.

thanks for the replies....but from what you are both saying it looks like im stuck with these 'enhancements!!!!'

Hi, I'm another newbie but just acquired a new S213 and my tyre pressures appear in psi format and the distance unit I changed to miles. I'll check on this tomorrow but I'm sure there will be more expert assistance on this forum. I'm not sure on the speed camera alerts.

The kph I referred to as 'UK mode' is for current speed, not distance.

I have always believed that it is an EU regulation to display kph and cannot be altered although the main display is

There have been several threads on this in the past, I believe the outcome was that is a MB 'feature', not an EU requirement for UK cars.

The EU requirement is that the vehicle is able to display kph and mph, not that it display both all the time. Other marques allow switching between the two as required.

Hi everyone, and thanks for letting me be a member of the group.
Ive just got a 17 plate W213 in Obsidian Black and its a great car, but with a couple of annoyances which i hope someone can assist by telling me how to fix!

The tyre pressures on the service screen are measured in kPa. Can I change this setting to psi? Nothing in the manual about doing it.

Also on the same screen right in front of the driver, right at the bottom of the screen it is showing km/h - even though all the rest of the car is showing miles.

Lastly - has anyone figured out a way to get speed camera alerts on the satnav? The mapping is Garmin, but i noticed that the traffic is TomTom...I assume you may be able to do this using the center armrest USB inputs?

Thanks alot. Now off for a nice read of the forum...:eek:

Hi and welcome just a thought do you not have a option on your menu
which tells you what speed limit is on each road

Thanks - the change to PSI would be great. I know where the option to change the unit to miles is and i see the speed limit in MPH and my road speed on the satnav and on the screen in mph - but this small km/h in the drivers display just stays there....tres annoying!
17016870_1647111685303604_4598790342016975798_o.jpg

Last edited:
As with everything else the test might be; would the US market put up with kPa ?

I doubt it somehow so it may be configurable. Even though they officially went metric in 1975 they are not keen on the use of SI units.

Thanks - the change to PSI would be great. I know where the option to change the unit to miles is and i see the speed limit in MPH and my road speed on the satnav and on the screen in mph - but this small km/h in the drivers display just stays there....tres annoying!

MB have misinterpreted the UK rules regarding display of speed in kmh.

The rules say the car must BE ABLE to display the speed in kph (as my old Renault did where the digital instrument cluster could be set to show either mph or kph, but not both).

MB understood it to say 'must display', i.e. at all times, which is incorrect.

The permanent kmh display is unique to the UK market, and on some models the UK localisation can be removed from the instrument cluster ECU using STAR diagnostic (a process known as 'UK mode delete').

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom