Newby Help with W202 C180/C200

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Uncle Bulgaria

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and to MB. I'm considering purchasing a 1998 C200 Sport Auto from a colleague at work, I won't go into too much detail about the car as I have already posted this in another thread, (which was an old one & may have gone cold) but I have a number of "daft" questions!

Firstly how do I make sure that the car is a genuine C200 & not a re badged C180, where would I find build codes on the chasis plate & what codes do I need to look for? Secondly where will I find the chasis number & Engine number?

Thirdly it's done about 100K and as very few cars I have owned have made it this kind of mileage I have no idea what sort of longevity to expect, I don't expect an exact figure from anyone, but any suggestions would be helpful! Iit's had two owners from new and MB service up until 3 years ago when it was swapped to a private independant garage. I do about 12 - 14K a year, mainly motorway and cross city driving. I'm not sure if a MB with this kind of mileage will allow me to develop a long term relationship, or if it is only a stop-gap to my next one!!

Finally I have driven the car and know that it needs a new Mass Air Flow sensor as it was't kicking down properly and was a bit sluggish. My colleague has it booked in to do this work, however as it wasn't a propper test drive I never noticed the number of gears! is this box a 4 speed or 5 speed? I have tried to find detailed info out, but haven't done very well so far!!

So any help appreciated:)

Easy bits first.

The VIN number is visible at the n's of the windscreen from the outside, obtain that and post it into the VIN checker in the Favourites section here and it will tell you the spec of the car.
In addition the V5 should have the correct info on.

100k is nothing for one of these it should see 200k miles comfortably.

The gearbox is a 5 speed at that age. You can tell because it has W/S switch as opposed to a E/S switch, also it has selections for P_R_N_D_4_3_2_1.

It will probably want new dampers before too long so budget for those and check the steering damper is ok as well.

As long as it drives Ok and has had all fluids changed regualrly then you should be oK.

Check for rust on wheelarches and bootlock.

Or an easy way to check on a W202: C180 1 exhaust pipe, C200+ 2 pipes :)

Thanks, this is a big help. As I said I've never had a MB before and I don't want my first experience to be a bad one!!

Where can I get more general info about specification, options etc from? I know it hasn't got leather or metalic paint and still has the standard cassette player, so i'm guessing it is a bog standard car, but would be interested to know a lot more.

As mentioned get the VIN number and drop it into HERE

do not forget, if you get it to grease the mono wiper mechanism.if that goes it costs loads

Haynes do a reasonable workshop manual for the W202. NO 3511 There were minor changes mid 1998. Revisions: all models have adjustable steering column and ASR traction control; C200, C250 TD and C230 K have standard air-con. Classic, Esprit and Sport models have elec rear windows. Auto models have standard cruise control. This will effect the price so find out if its pre or post facelift

Thanks guys, this will be helpful when I go back to the seller next week. Were there any body chnges which would denote a "face lifted" model?

'98 is definately post facelift.
The simple giveaways are lips to the bottom of the bumpers and a lip on the trailing edge of the flat boot deck.

Thanks guys, this will be helpful when I go back to the seller next week. Were there any body changes which would denote a "face lifted" model?
The pre facelift has a aerial on the back wing, the newer facelift it is fitted into the rear screen.
As to whether it's C180 or C200 it will be on the V5 document.

Hi Welcome ive just got a c200 elegance 1997 5sp auto and i love it ,i cant think anyone would regret buying a w202 ,mines got 123k & full history ,im used to driving new company cars and i can tell you this car feels like a 9 month old car ,not 10 years ,the build and materials used are superb and far superior to any other mass produced vehicle .
hope you enjoy it

there is also a straight running groove on the facelift boot below the plate number right to the edge of both lights where the boot lid opens

Thanks everyone, pretty certain its post facelift from what you have all said. I'm trying to be very sensible about this, as I could easily let my heart rule my head!

Can't wait to give it another once over on Thursday! If everything is ok, then the only down side is that I know he still has to transfer off his private plate and get a new V5 with the correct year plate, before I can take it away. So guess it depents on how quick the DVLA are as to when I might have a new car to play with!

Ok been for a propper look round and a drive, some stone chips on the front look like they need a bit of touching up, but no sign of serious rust. The rear bumper paint looks a little worn, but again, no sign of accident damage, just age related wear i think. The only problem was it seemed reluctant to start from cold, but the owner said it had on occasions been problematic in the very hot weather as well. Could this also be a symptom of the failing MAF?

He told me he's having the new MAF and a brake light switch fitted this week and was happy to let me have the car inspected at a local garage (can do MB diagnostics).

So if it checks out I should be in posession of my first Merc in a few weeks!

Thanks to all your help & info, it has been much appreciated. I know that some may think my caution a bit over the top for a 9 year old, under £2k car, but I want to at least have tried to do it right!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom