Newby/hullo/Intro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pwhite8314

Car
CLK320 (W209)
Hi all

I was pointed to this forum by Flyer, and since I've now registered I though it would be the sociable thing to do to post a quick intro.

I'm Pete, 33, drive a CLK cab (W209) in a very rare colour called 'silver'. You won't have seen many silver Mercs before, so if you see a silver CLK on the M25, it's probably mine ;)

Completely unmodded apart from a Roadpilot which I fitted over the weekend, a bluetooth carkit, and I'm thinking about upgrading the pedals (I used to have an SLK, so know how much better they look).

Since collecting the car from Bremen last October I've only had the roof down a few times (and one of those was in Holland on the way back from the factory!) so roll on summer, or even some vaguely warm weather. So far, no complaints, other than the odd squeak coming mostly from the windows.

My top 'questions about the car' are currently...

1. Is it worth upgrading my 2003 sat-nav CD to the 2004 version with TMC (albeit a half-****d implimentation of TMC)
2. How can I make my TV stay on above 5mph (for passenger enjoyment, obviously)
3. Can I have the mirrors fold in automatically when I shut off the engine??

So that's about it. Dream car is an SL, but a new baby (not that you get many old ones?!) was the reason for going from an SLK to a CLK, so it would be tough to justify an SL to my wife (who drives an A160 by the way).

It's nice to finally find a UK forum with a decent number of posts, the US ones are OK, but are (understandably I suppose) very US-centric.

Cheers

Pete

Pete,

Welcome to the forum! :bannana:

I cannot answer your questions but there's many on here who will be able to I'm sure.

Cheers,

David.

Welcome Pete - always nice to see a new face. Fab colour car:cool: and you will get the roof off. Nearly took my top off today - good job I didn't - it strated to rain and I'd have got wet:eek:

pammy said:
Nearly took my top off today
<giggles childishly>
tongue.gif

pammy said:
Nearly took my top off today -

giggles manishly :bannana:

2) Easy, theres a company that advertises in mercedes Enthusiast mag (available in WH Smiths). They reprogramme to let it work on the move.

jaymanek said:
2) Easy, theres a company that advertises in mercedes Enthusiast mag (available in WH Smiths). They reprogramme to let it work on the move.
..... who I seem to remember from previous threads are VERY ex"benz"ive.

Can be done via stardiagnose . . . if the person with the stardiagnose is willing to do it, of course ;)

S.

pwhite8314 said:
1. Is it worth upgrading my 2003 sat-nav CD to the 2004 version with TMC (albeit a half-****d implimentation of TMC)
2. How can I make my TV stay on above 5mph (for passenger enjoyment, obviously)
3. Can I have the mirrors fold in automatically when I shut off the engine??

Hi Pete

Please to see you signed up - there is a lot of knowledge on here :D . Pics required in the gallery please ;) .

1. Not seen it, but IIRC there was a thread from someone (saorbust?) who had bought it, but didn't think it was worthwhile.

2. Steve (MBenzNL) could possibly do this - drop him a PM to ask for sure (MB changed their software so that the dealer couldn't activate it). Failing that, NavTV advertise that they can do it (for £275 :eek: )

3. I'm fairly certain I have read that you can't enable that.

Anyone else able to offer advice?

Cheers
Andrew

Edited to add: doh! you guys replied whilst I was hunting through <shh>Mercedes Owner</shh> :p

Last edited:
£275 :eek: :eek: I've already paid £800 for the option of having a teeny TV, I could get a pretty big telly for £1200, though not one that naturally travels at speed! I'll PM Steve to see what he can do, otherwise I'll just make do with sound.

I read on a US forum (but a UK user) that the folding mirrors could be enabled, but my (hopeless) dealer denies it.

Regarding the TV, there are two options. Take the 'Command' unit out and send it to Cardif for the guy to do it, or drive to Cardif and have it done while you wait.

The while you wait proces takes about two minutes in all, but most punters are kept waiting for 20 minutes to add credibility for the charge. I want my new SL done ( He did the previous one ).

If there were say five or six forum members who wanted the mod done, I feel sure he would do a group booking at a huge discount price. Lets be real, would you turn up the prospect of doing six cars at say £100.00 each, if it involved about 12 minutes work ?

If he agreed, it could make a nice run out for the day and a meet and a pub lunch :)

If its a 2 minute software job, then I'm sorry, but I would consider even £100 to be a rip-off ! (unless he has purchased a star-diagnose machine expressly for this purpose ; in which case I can understand that they are not cheap, and that he would want to recoup that cost somehow !) but I would personally rather do without the function than pay that much to have it enabled !

S.

May not apply to the 209, but ask Shude about folding door mirrors. He fitted them to his previous 202 and they were amazing :)

Actually, ask Shude anyway - he is a tome of Mercedes information ;)

--
Antony

bloodmoon said:
May not apply to the 209, but ask Shude about folding door mirrors. He fitted them to his previous 202 and they were amazing :)

Actually, ask Shude anyway - he is a tome of Mercedes information ;)

--
Antony

Well I've already got the folding mirrors, I just want them to retract automatically when I shut the engine off. Obviously not a life or death issue, just a nice to have!

Pete,

Welcome to the gang. We're mostly sane, except maybe for erm .... you know ... erm ... errrr ......

Oh and I see there was a 4th question you were begging to ask ....

4. What's the best way to re-spray the car from 'dirty chrome' to a decent colour? :p

Welcome again,

Kinky - King of Kolour.

BLUE ROCKS :rock:

Come on Pete - you know you want a blue re-spray (or red, black, etc, etc .....)

Kinky - King of Kolour

Blue is this seasons Silver, but I don't remember a four piece boy band of ex-van drivers from portsmouth called Silver.

:p

sportyreptile said:
Blue is this seasons Silver, but I don't remember a four piece boy band of ex-van drivers from portsmouth called Silver.

:p

<loneranger>
Hi-ho ..... blue?
</loneranger>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom