Newcomer wants 124 estate - London area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slimlavud

Hello all
I hope this question is not old hat but I have looked on the site and not found an answer.
I have been running some miserable old cars since getting made redundant but now my half-brother has offered to buy and share a £1200 car with me - he only needs a car once a month or so.
The best cars I have owned (before expensive kids came along) were Lancias, Maseratis and Mercedes. I had a lovely 1982 230E saloon with every option (a/c, ABS, headlamp wipers etc) that I restored only to have it stolen the day after I carefully placed an original toolkit in the glovebox to keep it clean!
This was during the famous 'pre-97 Merc theft outbreak' in London in 2005.
A gang was stealing 17-20 cars a week and breaking them up or shipping them whole to Africa. The police caught the thieves with their yard in East London but all that was left of my car was the fuel filler flap...

So, I need to decide whether a 124 estate (preferably diesel but good small petrol would be good too) is a better built car with less rust issues than the later 210.

My only requisites are auto and preferably air con and a towbar (of course I can fit a towbar anytime). Oh, and probably not white in colour please!
And does anyone have one for sale in London/South East/Essex/Suffolk please?! The budget might stretch to £1300 but not much more...
Oh, and is this forum a good place to search for a decent car? Or can anyone recommend others? I am looking at ebay and my local Gumtree etc.
Thank you for your indulgence!

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum.There`s a few E200 E220s petrol estates on ebay

diesel w124 is much sought after and ebay is the best place but i would suggest u need to streach the budget or go for non facelift 1987 - 1991 with big miles but these engines last forever i would not worry too much about that

Thanks all. Please forgive my ignorance but what and when did the 'facelift come in?
Thank you

Thanks all. Please forgive my ignorance but what and when did the 'facelift come in?
Thank you

Late 93

If you're still looking, I have a 1995 E200 Estate in Almandine (I think?), automatic, a/c, 7-seater, towbar - the downside is it's done 215K miles, but it still runs very sweetly... I've only recently acquired it (and did 460 miles in it on the first day!) but I've seen an opportunity to upgrade to a 6-cylinder model, so I'd be happy to consider an offer. Car's located in South London.

200 te 124 for sale

Hi,I have my 200 te for sale,it is a 94 model in naudic blue with 137000 miles,in good condition for year.The interior and body is very tidy apart from a nasty scrape to o/s.Its been our family car for nearly eight years and been totally reliable,it sailed through its mot last month and has tax til december.can send photos,my mob is 07855574456

Sorry, wasn't as detailed on mine: 11 months MoT, 4 months tax (end 01/11); minor bubbles on front wheel arches, around rear hatch IR sensor, and on one rear window trim. No scrapes, nasty or otherwise.

Dropbox Gallery for e200
Pictures taken by the guy I bought it off, wheelarch shown is by far the worst bit of the whole car and replacement wings on FleaBay are £30 or less.

Last edited:
Both of you ^ are breaking the rules :ban::ban::ban:

I'm only new, but as the guy is posting about wanting to buy a type of car should I not then offer him that type of car? I cannot as yet send the OP a PM to let him know of the car, and I refuse to spam the rest of the forum just to get my post count up. I don't believe I'm allowed to post an advert in the For Sale forum yet, but then I'm not putting the car up for general sale, only offering to meet the interest of the OP. In that respect I believe I'm within the rules.

If any of this is incorrect behaviour, please remove my posts.

Last edited:
Sorry,what have i done wrong,i am new to this,please let me know or should be banned ?
:(

Just ignore my post above boy`s and Welcome to the forum

Diesel estate

Did you get one? If not, let me know as I have a 1993 300TD for sale - Mot to October next year, with fsh, and lots of bills from my last 12 years of ownership

mileage 7 seater leather history etc etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom