Newer Model or Lower Miles? Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buster'stheboy

Car
W124 230e 1989
Hello
Sorry to make another thread of this type but I am trying to choose between 2 cars and need some input from fresh brains.

Car A: 1999 @ 75,000 miles and FSH

Car B: 2003 @ 130,000 and FSH

The older car A has good condition cloth and few "toys", but less to go wrong in my book.

The newer car B has lots of options and leather interior. More things to go wrong, but higher spec.

Both have been owned by one careful owner. Both have been garaged and have minimal rust, just the odd scab. Both petrol 4 cyls.

They have the same size engine but the newer B is a Kompressor (does that mean it's a turbo? :confused: )

Have been looking for a replacement for my W124 230e now for nearly a month. It's horrible not having a car. Please bear in mind I'm on a budget for purchase price, though don't mind paying out for petrol/insurance/tax as I don't do many miles and am old lady driver.:eek:

(Hope this is enough info, don't want to get too specific but apart from points noted above they are both the same model)

Any thoughts, apart from :ban:

A Kompressor is a supercharger. 4 years is not really that big a difference but 55k miles is. I'd go with the older car as you would get a much better resale price when the time comes with something that is say 95k as opposed to a car with 150k on the clock. The kompressor engine is more stressed than a n/a one, I love mine tho

Last edited:
I would ask how long are you going to keep the car?
Another aspect to bear in mind is that FSH is only part of he issue. If they have been dealer serviced you would expect the schuedualled items to have been sorted. A private garage may not have tackled these things.
I am sure someone on here could suggest what should have been done at what interval but we will need more info to assist.
Higher miles need not make it a bad buy and the toys shouldn't break as its a Merc

List the full details of the cars and we can give a more informed opinion.

Regards

Steve

Thanks for replies.

Good point about how long I'll have it. I'll keep it as long as possible, so re-sell value not really relevant unless I find that I hate the car after I've bought it and need to get rid quick!

StevenN, I realise you don't have much info to go on, but I did that for a particular reason and I'd rather not give any more details just yet. Wanted to PM you with the facts, but I can't send PM's. Good point about the service history though. Car B has more MB history than the other.

It would be a much easier decision if one of them wasn't a 400 mile round trip away. Typically, it's the far away one that I'm leaning toward so wanted to see it first. Bah.

As you are a low mileage driver I would lean toward the high mileage car as long as it was in good condition.
Age has a bearing on a car as well as mileage.

Being a later car it will have any updates and extra equipment.

You can always ask if someone's local to view the car for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom