Newish c250cdi coolant leak - suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjs

Car
C250cdi Coupe, Audi S5 Cab
My so far faultless c250cdi appears to be losing coolant. In the last few weeks I must have put 3 litres in total over several occasions after the 'low coolant' warning appeared. This is over approx 3000 miles (inc 1500 mile french trip) in July.

So, its booked in on Wednesday for routine 'service measures' - injectors and wiring loom, and I've asked them to look at the coolant situation, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had coolant leaks with this particular engine and from where?

Cheers in advance.

So far I've had no coolant problems and haven't heard of a common fault - hope yours are nothing serious but would be interested to hear the report.

I once had a Volvo that was loosing coolant on a regular basis for months - dealers couldn't find anything wrong after all sorts of tests. Then, one day, it manifested itself as a HUGE leak from the water pump - we then knew what to change! What had happened is that the water pump gland seal had been slowly leaking with the coolant dripping onto the pulley and disappearing 'into thin air'. This may or may not apply to your problem, but is certainly worth checking.

Update - yes it was leaking, apparently a common fault to do with some 'housing'. At least they managed to fix it today.

I have the same car, on Friday it started to report low coolent levels, weird seeing it had its first service the previous month. I stopped at the lights and sundenly lost power and the engine management light came on. I couldnt go above 25mph. Car has gone in today and they have said the fuel injectors have failed and need to be replace. All under warranty but still a pain in the butt :( Ive only had this car a year and its been in the garage more times than I can remember :(

I have the same car, on Friday it started to report low coolent levels, weird seeing it had its first service the previous month. I stopped at the lights and sundenly lost power and the engine management light came on. I couldnt go above 25mph. Car has gone in today and they have said the fuel injectors have failed and need to be replace. All under warranty but still a pain in the butt :( Ive only had this car a year and its been in the garage more times than I can remember :(

I had a call from my dealer saying they wanted to check my car for this issue. Took it in, they found it and repaired it under warranty. I didn't even know there was a problem.

I had a call from my dealer saying they wanted to check my car for this issue. Took it in, they found it and repaired it under warranty. I didn't even know there was a problem.

They checked mine in November last year also :(:dk:

I also have a 1 year old C250 cdi and have been losing coolant for the past 6 months, called the merc garage and they advised to top up the reservoir with water to get the low coolant light to go out.

Given that this will just dilute the coolant over time I'm going to get it booked in to see what the problem is as it's a real pain to have to top up the coolant more often than the windscreen wash!

PS Have already had the injectors replaced, new tyre when 2 weeks old, sounds like water pump next, can't wait to see what else breaks (wish I lived closer to the garage!). Makes me miss the 12 year old Astra I had from new - it didn't have a single fault beyond routine maintenance in all that time.

Hi,

Can you help?
I have just bought a 2011 c250 Blue Efficiency and have had the coolant message 3 times in one week. Each time I have topped it up by about 1 litre. No temperature issues just this message on the dash.
The trader claims it's not his issue and he sold me it in good order.
I've seen that there may have been a recall issue but not sure if this is still 'live'
What do you think my next step should be?

Hi,

Can you help?
I have just bought a 2011 c250 Blue Efficiency and have had the coolant message 3 times in one week. Each time I have topped it up by about 1 litre. No temperature issues just this message on the dash.
The trader claims it's not his issue and he sold me it in good order.
I've seen that there may have been a recall issue but not sure if this is still 'live'
What do you think my next step should be?

I am assuming that the car is out of the 3 year MB warranty? If not then it is an MB problem to sort out, if bought from an independent dealer then unless the fault was pointed out to you prior to purchase it is unequivocally their responsibility to fix if the fault within a certain time period. The sale of goods act says that items must be fit for purpose, this clearly is not. How long ago did you purchase the car?

It sounds like you may have problems with the supplying dealer but be polite but persistent.

Hi,

Yes it's just out of MB warranty. The dealer claims he only needs to supply it in good order. I have reported it to him within one week. He has asked me to ask my local garage to look at it and he will come to some arrangement when I've got an idea on the cost. Does he have any right to not accept responsibility?

No. A trader has to give 3 months warranty, covering all major items.

I have had it confirmed that a trader does not need to give a 3 month warranty. However it is good practice to do so.
Luckily I contacted Mercedes today and found out that they have a recall for this year of car that covers all hoses and connections for the coolant system and it's free. Great service from Mercedes of York.

I have had it confirmed that a trader does not need to give a 3 month warranty. However it is good practice to do so.
Luckily I contacted Mercedes today and found out that they have a recall for this year of car that covers all hoses and connections for the coolant system and it's free. Great service from Mercedes of York.

They do and they are on the hook for 6 months if the car is sold with any faults that may have been present at the point of sale.

The courts take a dim view of traders trying to wriggle off the hook and usually take the side of the buyer.

Read this post with interest as I too have had the 'top up the coolant' message appear after 2 months of ownership of my E250CDI. Only the message appears and not the light. So far I'm having to top it up approximately every 2 weeks. I rang the MB dealership where I bought the car from and they advised it could be the coolant temp sensor or the water outlet pipe. They advised this is covered by the used car warranty and to take it to a MB dealership near me to investigate.

Will report back to see if this gets handled smoothly, as I'm a bit weary of warranty claims. They sound easy, but one never knows.

I have a 2009 c250 which is losing coolant. When I spoke to the indy he said a common fault is the water pump.
Does anyone know of a better quality replacement? I'm not particularly impressed with the OE part only lasting 45k miles.
Also does anyone know how difficult a repair this is?

Hi.
I just going to collect my 2010 e250 today, So I should be worry about water pomp and injectors, that most common problems with this engines?
I will check with MB dealer for any recall to my car.

Good evening, just a quick update about the coolant leaking on my E250CDI after visiting the dealers today. A faulty EGR valve is causing my coolant to leak and requires replacing. MB Leeds where I took the car to, have been very helpful so far. Unfortunately the used car warranty does not cover seals and valves, but Leeds MB will speak to MBUK on my behalf to see if they will cover the full costs, as I've only had the car for two months. Not a bad service from a MB dealership whom I didn't buy the car from. The car is going back in next week so will update on the final outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom