Newly fitted LED sidelights & front fogs...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenmercedes

Car
W203 C240 (LPG conversion) RIP
Just thought I'd post my newly fitted front LEDs. I know they are not everyone's cup of tea, but it's my teapot! LOL

Front fogs being fitted...

front being fitted LoRes.jpg

How I run during day - use fogs as pseudo DRLs...

Front daylight No Number.jpg

Now,at night (sidelights & fogs)...

front dark LoRes.jpg

and number plate lights at rear...

rear number plate LoRes.jpg

Looks excellent

Where did you get the fog light bulbs? Are they completely error free and do they work with the ‘follow me home lights’ ?

Won't those drls dazzle oncoming drivers at night, being 50w leds and mounted so low down?

They should be extinguished when headlights are on, but these appear to be replacement foglight bulbs with no mention of a drl control unit and thus still under manual control from the lighting switch.

Hi i would love to fit these type of bulbs in my fog lamps i wonder if they do them for the E class facelift i think they are 12v 55w h11.

They should be extinguished when headlights are on, but these appear to be replacement foglight bulbs with no mention of a drl control unit and thus still under manual control from the lighting switch.

:thumb:

Hi i would love to fit these type of bulbs in my fog lamps i wonder if they do them for the E class facelift i think they are 12v 55w h11.
I fitted my H11 a while ago - just buy a separate set of resistors (50W 6Ohm), H11 plugs and non-CANbus* LED/COB bulbs - it's very easy to put together your custom harness, plus you can add an extra plug to run the light from a DRL controller - that way it'll be fully compliant with the current regulations, and you still keep the "follow me home" function. Add a 1N4004 rectifier diode in fog line positive.

* Bulb monitoring is done by SAM, but LEDs with built-in resistors routinely called "CANbus", so I use the same terminology.

Won't those drls dazzle oncoming drivers at night, being 50w leds and mounted so low down?

The 50w refers to the loading resister that fools the light system into thinking the correct bulb is fitted to the fog lights.

* Bulb monitoring is done by SAM, but LEDs with built-in resistors routinely called "CANbus", so I use the same terminology.
On mine, the monitoring is all within the light switch, which could be termed a SAM I guess, and there is a single wire from the switch to the cluster to throw up the bulb out error. Years ago I had a Mondeo and that would tell me exactly what door was open, what light had failed.

Reactions: GLK
If it's foggy, those LED fogs will be virtually useless BTW due to the colour temp in the day.

Drls do not operate at night?
On cars fitted with LED/HID headlamps, the DRLs are dimmed (but not switched-off) when the dipped beam is switched on.

On cars fitted with standard Halogen bulbs, the DRLs are switched off completely when the dipped beam is switched on.

There's a STAR mod that can enable the DRL nightime dimming function also on cars fitted with standard Halogen bulbs.

One possible explanation as to why MB did it this way, is that the bright white light of the LED DRLs looks at odds with the dull yellowish light from the Halogen bulbs... but I do not know.

If it's foggy, those LED fogs will be virtually useless BTW due to the colour temp in the day.
I think the idea was to 'convert' the foglights to makeshift DRLs?

When I had the W203, I just set the headlamps to 'always on', that was my take on makeshift DRLs....

But from memory, the front and rear foglights on the W203 are not independently operated... you turn on one of them first, can't remember if it's the front or rear, then 'add' the other.

Daily rant: for the W204 facelift, MB decided that front figlights are only needed on the Elegance trim level, which they then decided not to import to the UK as of 2013..... which is how I lost the front foglights when switching from W203 Classic SE to W204 Executive SE.

you turn on one of them first, can't remember if it's the front or rear, then 'add' the other.

Yes I think you are correct, IIRC it’s the rear that turns on first as you pull the switch ‘out’ and then the front?

Yes I think you are correct, IIRC it’s the rear that turns on first as you pull the switch ‘out’ and then the front?

Almost correct LOL 1st pull turns the front on, 2nd pull turns the rear on. There's no way I'd drive all the time with them on if it were the other way round as my rear fogs woldn't half piss off following cars!

So in the case of the OP, how will the fogs operate as DRL? EDIT too slow..... /EDIT

This does seem to be a speciality of this forum, someone posts a mod/install they’ve done and is greeted with plenty of criticism :D

sometimes it is constructive, I think everyone has been reasonable with this mod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom