Newly fitted LED sidelights & front fogs...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This does seem to be a speciality of this forum, someone posts a mod/install they’ve done and is greeted with plenty of criticism :D

Not a problem buddy, I have a very thick skin, and besides, I believe all the critics are just jealous LOL

Not a problem buddy, I have a very thick skin, and besides, I believe all the critics are just jealous LOL

Haha, those LED fogs do look good. I think I’ll be purchasing a set lol

Reactions: GLK
Haha, those LED fogs do look good. I think I’ll be purchasing a set lol

As mentioned by Karl, you wont have fog lights.

Yeh, he’s fitted (much better) OSRAM drls in place of the fogs on his and they look really good.

I’m just trying to get something that looks a bit similar ;)

Video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That's a fair comment. Though I've been driving for 40 odd years (I'm quite old) and have never had a car where front fog lights have made a noticeable difference. I slow right down, and crack open all the windows to listen for errant traffic as well as seeing. I remember before rear fog lights were even on cars! I still believe that driver behavior is far more critical than a 'driver aid'. Also, my car is driven in daylight far more frequently than in fog, so makes me feel more confident in my presence to other users with my lights on.

But, it is a good point, and I'm sure if anyone else does the mod, they will consider it's value to them...

Yeh, he’s fitted (much better) OSRAM drls in place of the fogs on his and they look really good.
I fitted DRL into my front indicator positions. Mine go out when the indicator is on, dim when I put the main dipped beams on and auto power on when the car is started, and auto power off once the engine is off.

I fitted DRL into my front indicator positions. Mine go out when the indicator is on, dim when I put the main dipped beams on and auto power on when the car is started, and auto power off once the engine is off.

you are referring to those Russian bulbs right?

I had, and used "snow" lights, when I lived in Canada - those were deep yellow and actually worked in heavy snow.

The standard "fog" lights we have here, with a standard white (3200ºK) H11 bulb, etc - pretty useless in severe conditions, and more of a design feature, as far as I am concerned. As such I am treating them as purely decorative, and therefore conversion into DRLs seems reasonable to me.

That's an excellent solution - keep the look OEM and add functionality. I've put together a wiring harness to do just that, but unfortunately, the 169/245 turn indicator sockets are wired wrong way round (positive in on the bulbs body, negative at the bottom tip), so I now need to get into the headlight, somehow reach the two wires and correct this travesty ;)

These are DRLs fitted to my GT4, much simpler car, come on when ignition on, but I do have an override 'off' switch in the cockpit (I like to be in control!)

GT4 Front DRL.jpg

Here’s a link to drls that dim that I put on my clk.
Karl’s solution and the Russian bulbs are a neater job though.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Edit: oh, and no need for resistors to defeat the canbus failure detection. I wired the original bulbs into the circuit and strapped them safely out of the way.

My DRLs, wired via relay into a spare ignition live feed in the fusebox. Sensor wire tapped to dipped beam feed so the dim when main lights on.
onsmall.jpg

from a distance when off they are barely noticable.

they replaced the original foglight surround:

oldsurroncars.jpg

It's not very often we get fog up here, mist yes....lots of it. If visabillity is severely reduced I get the Mrs to walk about a 100 mt in front of my car. Of course I purchased a high visabillity vest for her.
I also drive with a window open. On hearing a dull thud and or a scream I would then have time to stop, hopefully prior to colliding with 'A' the misses, and 'B' the oncoming vehicle.

I too, have Probright TDRLs on my 280, see this thread I started in 2016: Probright TDRLs

Unfortunately, I think currency movements since then mean they are nearer £150 than £100, although still an elegant solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom