Newly powder Coated wheels Easily Scratched

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bornblue

Car
CL500 - 4.7L Blue Efficiency
When I got my 2013 CL500 the dealer had painted the silver wheels black. I loved the look and probably did't pay enough attention to the quality of the paint job. Second time I washed the car I put my pressure washer a bit too close to the wheel and a big bit of paint just peeled off. Dealer wasn't interested in my complaint and as he's 200 miles away I can't be bothered with the hassle of arguing the toss with him.

Decided I would get them powder coated gloss black. Quoted £340.00 for all 4 wheels. Got them back this morning and at first inspection they looked ok. However, closer inspection reveals a lot of minute scratches. I was going to finish them with a ceramic coating and carefully washed them before hand. When drying them off I find that simply rubbing them with a good quality MF cloth results in more scratches.

I complained to the company who carried out the work and they have agreed to redo them. But, they have warned me that the redone wheels could be the same. He even took his showroom wheel of the shelf and when we rubbed it hard with the MF cloth it suffered the same scratches.

Is this normal? Dread to think what state they will be in after a hard winter.

e586423f-0d8e-4f09-955b-64ae864179d9-original.jpg

I have found there is a huge variation in the quality of powder coating. Only this week I refused to pay for a really awful job done by a local company. Took it to the guy I normally use and the difference is astonishing. The difference was that the piece had been etch primed colour coated then clear coated. Powder coating on wheels will scratch easily if no clear coat is applied and of course black will show scratches worst of all. You paid a realistic price so insist on a good job.

I have found there is a huge variation in the quality of powder coating. Only this week I refused to pay for a really awful job done by a local company. Took it to the guy I normally use and the difference is astonishing. The difference was that the piece had been etch primed colour coated then clear coated. Powder coating on wheels will scratch easily if no clear coat is applied and of course black will show scratches worst of all. You paid a realistic price so insist on a good job.
First time I have had this done so unsure of the technologies involved. Company I took it too said they finish each wheel with a powder coated lacquer. I'm guessing this is a different process to applying clear coat?

First time I have had this done so unsure of the technologies involved. Company I took it too said they finish each wheel with a powder coated lacquer. I'm guessing this is a different process to applying clear coat?
No I would think its largely the same. I have seen powder coated wheels protected by an acrylic lacquer though, but the finish isn't as tough as clear pc. I wonder whether some types of powder coat are simply tougher than others?

I still can't get my head round that I can inflict scratches on the finish by rubbing with a good quality MF cloth. I've recently got into detailing my cars and think this is going to annoy me big time.

I still can't get my head round that I can inflict scratches on the finish by rubbing with a good quality MF cloth. I've recently got into detailing my cars and think this is going to annoy me big time.

Just use poor Quality MF ;)

Sounds like a nightmare - try asking over at detailingworld.co.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom