News International boycott...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E CLASS

Has the time come to boycott this organisation?

The news today is apalling....what next??

I wouldn't necessarily target News International as most of the newspapers are up to all manner of skullduggery to get a story.

How do I know?

Well in a past life I used to be instructed by some of the newspapers to do just this type of thing - sometimes worse.

The voicemail hacking is just the tip of the iceberg. It gets much much more intrusive.

Who was the first person invited to 10 Downing St. after the Tories came to power?
In a Clarkson voice;
Some say it is he who really runs the country, and that his blood is made from that of snakes.

All we know is, he's called Rupert Murdoch....

I wouldn't necessarily target News International as most of the newspapers are up to all manner of skullduggery to get a story.

How do I know?

Well in a past life I used to be instructed by some of the newspapers to do just this type of thing - sometimes worse.

The voicemail hacking is just the tip of the iceberg. It gets much much more intrusive.

Too late now but posting up info like that on a public forum does slightly incriminate you...

I think your shifting blame using words like 'instructed' is a bit lame... you 'took the money and asked no questions' is more an accurate assessment.

If it was worse than what we have heard today them seriously shame on you!

Now if everyone who felt strongly about this cancelled their subscription to SKY and bought a Freesat box instead-- that would send a message Mr Murdoch might understand more than any "show trials" of individuals!

Too late now but posting up info like that on a public forum does slightly incriminate you...

I think your shifting blame using words like 'instructed' is a bit lame... you 'took the money and asked no questions' is more an accurate assessment.

If it was worse than what we have heard today them seriously shame on you!

All well and good if you can afford that sentiment. Generally those at the coal face can't.

Seriously though... Hacking and listening to distraught voicemails left by family members on a 13 year old girl abductee mobile defies basic human decency. In my humble opinion these people are worms and dare I say on the same moral standing as the killer that was convicted.

Most definitely - it's a seriously flawed management decision to take that path. However, it normally falls to some other poor sod a lot further down the food chain to actually make it happen, and they face a more difficult choice.

Come on Sp!ke - send us the link to your twitter alias, and spill the beans

Seriously though - what degree of intrusiveness are you talking about here?

Seriously though... Hacking and listening to distraught voicemails left by family members on a 13 year old girl abductee mobile defies basic human decency. In my humble opinion these people are worms and dare I say on the same moral standing as the killer that was convicted.

Having had some dealings with the press over the years I think its generally fair to say they're a pretty fly bunch and personally I would neither believe an assurance they give nor any other statement as they strive for an angle or a story.
Whether Sun, Daily Star, FT, Guardian, Daily Express, Bristol Evening Post journalists are a pretty intinerent bunch as are their editors and few can claim the high ground. or any particular loyalty to brand or sentiment.
I don't think they're as bad a murders but this example of their behavior is disgusting.

All well and good if you can afford that sentiment. Generally those at the coal face can't.

So you'd do something morally wrong, potentially inhumane (mentally) and illegal.... just because you are getting paid for it???

Sorry chap but your morality meter must be at an all time low if thats the case.

Or am I missing something?

When I say I was instructed, the key here is 'instructed'.

By that I mean that there was clear instruction on what was required, so the newspapers current stance of pretending they didnt know it was going on is absolute tripe.

Whether I personally performed said tasks was generally my choice, some things I did and others I passed on, preferring not to get involved.

The bigger issue here and perhaps the real reason why the authorities have been so reluctant to open up this particular pandoras box is because it wasnt just the newspapers taking advantage of the services on offer. Governments, Politicians, the Police themselves, not to mention major institutions outside of the media are quite rightly worried about what might come out in the wash.

Getting voicemails is nothing in the scheme of things.

Last edited:
So you'd do something morally wrong, potentially inhumane (mentally) and illegal.... just because you are getting paid for it???

Sorry chap but your morality meter must be at an all time low if thats the case.

When the voicemails of Ms Dowler were intercepted, the fate of Milly was not yet known.

The investigator and journalist were effectively working on a missing persons case in parallel with the Police. Had there been a different turn of events and their actions led to finding her safe and well, they would have been pronounced heroes.

Frankly I'm surprised that people think investigative journalists wouldnt bend the rules a little to get to the facts.

Last edited:
It's amazing how many people don't change their PIN on their voicemail, if it left at the default setting any Tom, **** or Harry can access it and this is classed as hacking :eek:

So if you take one thing from this thread change your default PIN on your voicemail NOW :thumb:

How do I know?

Well you could always say you were only obeying orders.

Oh wait......

Joe Public has no idea what goes on and Spike is quite right, Voicemail hacking is considered by some as being not that different to having a quick rummage through someone's rubbish bin.

You may recall that a certain footballer type recently claimed to have found a tracking device attached to his car. He is far from alone.

I know a gentleman retired from the service of Her Majesty who makes a handsome part time living doing routine sweeps of vehicles, houses, offices meeting rooms, hotels rooms and IT security stuff etc on behalf of the rich, the famous and the rich who really do not want to become famous.

In his garage he has three large plastic crates full of bits and bobs which the owners have, oddly enough, never claimed back.

I suspect you might be, a little. First 'hacking' is an emotive word in this case, and assumes that more than dial the number and listen to the unprotected messages. I don't know this is the case, but there are signs it is. If so I don't believe that was illegal several years ago. Of very dubious, yes, certainly, but not illegal.

So, you have the choice. Do it, or be fired. Of course, this is always implied, but there is never any doubt to it...you know damn well that your future is limited if you do not deliver to expectations.
The same people who are willing to exploit others for sensationalist journalism will think nothing of treating the minions in the same way.

No job, no money. No money, no food on the table. Yes, you might be able to find another job...but what if you can't? What if it takes time?

I am glad you feel able to take a black and white stance in a very grey world, we need this to maintain some hope of balance in life. But how dare you choose to question my morals when you have absolutely no knowledge of the situation at hand. Refusing to deliver to "expectation" is the reason I no longer work in the Telecoms industry.

Last edited:
So if you take one thing from this thread change your default PIN on your voicemail NOW :thumb:

Also make sure the PIN isn't something obvious like your DOB or the DOB of anyone close to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom