News of the World to close on Sunday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think that although Mad Murdoch has tried to make NOTW the sacrificial lamb, can you imagine the outcry if Cameron lets his pal buy the other 60% of Sky?

... or for the PCC to issue a banning order to the company concerned from expanding their current title base and frequency.

The PCC has no such power - in fact it has no legal powers. And newspapers can opt out of PCC membership (as the Star has done).

Never ever bought a copy, so as far as I am concerned its academic.
But I think somebody must be brought to account for this intrusion into ordinary peoples lives. I simply cannot and will not believe that those in the driving seat did not know what was going on and have the full picture.
They must think we are all mugs.

Educate me, but why is it so bad if Murdoch buys bskyb?

I mean sure the news will be slanted and biased... But I don't watch sky for the news.

Educate me, but why is it so bad if Murdoch buys bskyb?

I mean sure the news will be slanted and biased... But I don't watch sky for the news.

Because ownership of the 4th pillar of democracy (media) being concentrated on a transnational conglomerate (empire) with fingers in a lot of dirty pies (see manipulation of the masses to give support to the moronic Tea Party movement in the US).

Also having a media empire (print, TV) and a prime minister in your pocket does not spell good for democracy.

Because ownership of the 4th pillar of democracy (media) being concentrated on a transnational conglomerate (empire) with fingers in a lot of dirty pies (see manipulation of the masses to give support to the moronic Tea Party movement in the US).

Also having a media empire (print, TV) and a prime minister in your pocket does not spell good for democracy.

This was a thread I could gladly have avoided but your moronic comment is like a flame to a moth!
What exactly is moronic about the TEA party, Taxed Enough Already, pity TTFMA isn't an easily translatable acronym!
The saddest thing about all this for me is that a number of people ,through no fault of their own, possibly with families, homes, mortgages and ambitions will now be seeking alternative employment....in a pretty difficult marketplace.
The NOTW is in a particular segment of a very grubby industry, littered with sharp practise especially in the gathering of evidence concerning individuals actions rather than illegal actions, if you really think News Corp is the only or the worst felon in this arena you're obviously more than a little naive.
Personally I'm a fan of Murdoch, I like the fact he and people like him bankroll an industry where returns are low and risk great, I don't like every thing I read and hear from the news media but I'm glad it exists.
On the subject of Sky, Murdoch created it, the superb Sky News came about through him, his actions revolutionised broadcast media, brought 24 hour news, live popular sport, a magnificant suite of information and education channels to the masses, to listen to many you'd have though he was destroying our access to entertainment and news.
I dont like the NOTW, can't ever remember buying it and am as disgusted as anyone about the recent revelations but there's plenty to admire about the UK media irrespective of ownership.
Rant over

i'm not seeing the bad side of him owning bskyb.

personally i don't give a toss who owns it, they just need to bring the prices down.

as for the notw, it's a shame that a 168yr old newspaper is being brought down but i really didn't see any other action possible for them.

i've never bought a copy and i can't say i ever would, but it has it's market the same as any newspaper.

in modern times i think the newspaper is a dying medium anyway, all my news comes from RSS feeds from various sources, and with the rising popularity of tablets, the actual process of buying a paper is becoming obsolete.

just my tuppence worth, of course i could be wrong.

This was a thread I could gladly have avoided but your moronic comment is like a flame to a moth!
What exactly is moronic about the TEA party,

Palin for president!
Now where is this thing of Afghanistan you talk about. The Bible does not mention it. Is there any animals to shoot there with a telescopic sight on a high powered rifle and call it a sport?

-What do you mean we evolved from apes? This is heresy, we all know that the Lord our father created the world in 6 days about 4000 years ago.
-But these fossils and carbon dating say they are 1 million years old.
- Shut up you godless communist, or islamic terrorist. (Rush, which one do not believe in God)

On a serious note though I never mentioned NOWT. My response was to the question why NI owning BSkyB is a bad thing. If you think that concentration of mass media in an ever smaller number of outlets whom finances presidential campaigns and prime ministers is a good thing fair enough is your opinion and glad you have it. But to call me naiive that is a bit rich

Last edited:
The BSKYB deal wil NEVER EVER go through now.

I guarantee you!

Looks like Ofcom are going to launch a fit and proper investigation into BSkyB. As they say - if you have to ask the question you already know the answer.

Palin for president! Now where is this thing of Afghanistan you talk about. The Bible does not mention it

On a serious note though I never mentioned NOWT. My response was to the question why NI owning BSkyB is a bad thing. If you think that concentration of mass media in an ever smaller number of outlets whom finances presidential campaigns and prime ministers is a good thing fair enough is your opinion and glad you have it. But to call me naiive that is a bit rich
In all industries consolidation is a natural phenomenon, as every product moves through its market cycle into maturity the number of players becomes smaller, I've never been a fan of the phenomenon but it happens.
I would argue our broadcast media was in a far more perilous state when the BBC was the dominant state funded market leader.
Not really sure about your comments regarding presidents and prime ministers, perhaps you could explain so I understand.

He (Murdoch) bid 700p per share for the takeover.

Profits for the first half of 2011 for BSB are expected to rise from £779m to £970m - meaning he will need to up his offer significantly.

It also makes the company even lees likely to sell.

And of course the huge public / political outrage at what's happened recently will make any incumbents very unpopular amongst the voters...(should they approve it) which of course they will not.

It also means other players will take advantage of this situation and muscle their onw way into the fold.

Sit back and watch the fun unfold!

Looks like Ofcom are going to launch a fit and proper investigation into BSkyB. As they say - if you have to ask the question you already know the answer.

Heres another question
If the loss making Sky News can not find another buyer and closes down, who wins?

I've got Sky. The full package; TV, Phone & Broadband.

It is rather good.

I don't read NOTW or The Sun.

Not keen on Murdoch, but he did revolutionise TV and the media.

In all industries consolidation is a natural phenomenon, as every product moves through its market cycle into maturity the number of players becomes smaller, I've never been a fan of the phenomenon but it happens.
I would argue our broadcast media was in a far more perilous state when the BBC was the dominant state funded market leader.
Not really sure about your comments regarding presidents and prime ministers, perhaps you could explain so I understand.

In industries consolidation sometimes is good but the case of media is very difficult to see an advantage of consolidation (and possible monopoly). This could lead of a manipulation on public opinion for political gain. Its a slippery slope to dictatorship. The general public will believe what is offered is is blown often and loud enough. Its called indoctrination which has problems which you must gather what could they be. (See North Korea and most inhabitants believing that Kim Jong-Il created the earth and sun and had a hole in one in his first golf game).

As for presidents and prime ministers it is quite easy to do some research who funded Bush Junior and Mr McCain campain. Claimed Obama is a muslim terrorist, he was not American etc etc. See Fox News for more info. Also who was invited in No 10 after Mr Cameron's election? Who is his propaganda minister/director of information?

Also his meetings with Kevin Rudd, David Cameron and Oleg Deripaska and the very distinguished Lord "Vader" Mandelson aboard his luxury yahts and private jets.

Also I stand by my comment that the Tea Party movement is moronic. They want to teach creationism in state schools for "God's" sake. Not alongside Darwin's theory but as a replacement. :doh:

Last edited:
Heres another question
If the loss making Sky News can not find another buyer and closes down, who wins?

It's life. There are numerous situations where no one wins.

But if News International is held not to be fit and proper to control BSkyB, then they'll have to find someone who is, otherwise they'll lose a whole load more than Sky news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom