News of the World to close on Sunday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Coming back to the closure of NOTW. Trying not to be cynical, but if one wanted to destroy all evidence on all computers etc, to disperse employees, to make a judicial enquiry difficult; isn't Murdoch doing it spot on? That newsroom etc needs to be cordoned off and all equipment seized TODAY. Tomorrow watch the trucks appear.

Careful Crockers, you're beginning to sound like Harriet Harperson.

I'm old and I think TV is becoming unwatchable.

24 hours news is a case of more being substantially less.

Even something as simple as a weather forecast is either so short and pithy as to be meaningless or longwinded and vacuous.

Away from the BBC we get a bit over 40 minutes of programme content per hour. It used to be around 50 minutes on commercial channels. And we have those nasty idents taking up screen real estate.

I firmly believe Television programmes were vastly better back when it was just BBC1/2, ITV and CH4.
My three kids all have SKY boxes but for most of the time watch terrestrial TV. They used try to persuade me to get SKY installed, but I resisted and stuck with freeview.
Funny - but now 2 of the 3 are now thinking of ditching SKY and reverting to freeview - like me.

I've read NOTW for over 30years -i'm not condoning what they done (bizarre choice of victims), but they fearlessly exposed many an outrage and scandal over the years- although some was hyped up - ie Cricket fix,Max Mosley.
Brave of Murdoch to bin it - although he should have got rid of Rebekah Brookes.
Don't know why Cameron needed to hire bad news Andy Coulson - you know how bad it is when even Prescott fires off a prophetic warning letter.
Why is OAP like Murdoch involved in all this crap- he should be relaxing 24/7 way before retirement - and why is there discussion over BskyB - no way should he get it
Suprised to see The Sun report NOTW actions as "shameful"

Interesting point from the Guardian ....

"..... US law may enter the fray. A former Labour cabinet minister has alerted attention to the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, which makes an American company (News Corp) liable for colossal fines if any employee bribes a foreign official (the Met police) even if no one at head office knew. What's more, any whistleblower inside the company (sacked News of the World reporters), stands to win a percentage of that fine if they report acts of bribery."

Wonder if any disgruntled sacked NOTW staff member will cash in....

I reckon there are some big nastys waiting to come out the cupboard over all of this.
This is going to run and run.

I'd love to know what Rebekah Brookes holds on Murdoch. It must be huge, because under any other circumstances surely she would have been thrown out to the wolves by now.

I'd love to know what Rebekah Brookes holds on Murdoch. It must be huge, because under any other circumstances surely she would have been thrown out to the wolves by now.

She must know where all the bodies are buried. Metaphorically speaking of course.:rolleyes:

Maybe he said she had a lovely body and would she hold it against him...:bannana:

Thats a point that has been running around in my head.

Young, very attractive good looking girl............

Very, very rich and powerful well past his sell by date man..............

Now let me think......................

No.

Cant think of a thing. :D

From now on, how are we going to find out which footballer/actor/pop star/politician has been playing hide the sausage with some grubby scutter behind their wife's back?

Also, who's going to exclusively reveal the dull minutiae of the private lives of D list celebs you've never heard of?

Its a sad loss to the nations chip shops and litter trays.

My guess is that it's probably simpler than that.

Without Brookes in play (either as a witness - ha! ha! - or as a suspect) the only one in the firing line would be son James M. One thing Murdoch senior has demonstrated time and time again is that family comes ahead of everything else. Maybe he's just calculated that losing Brookes at this stage of the game would be a bad thing to do?

I firmly believe Television programmes were vastly better back when it was just BBC1/2, ITV and CH4.
My three kids all have SKY boxes but for most of the time watch terrestrial TV. They used try to persuade me to get SKY installed, but I resisted and stuck with freeview.
Funny - but now 2 of the 3 are now thinking of ditching SKY and reverting to freeview - like me.

In which case I presume they don't like sport, films, news, documentaries and comedy, that's fine and it's their choice, personally if all I had to watch was the rubbish served up by BBC and ITV,with few notable exceptions,I'd get rid of the TV

In which case I presume they don't like sport, films, news, documentaries and comedy, that's fine and it's their choice, personally if all I had to watch was the rubbish served up by BBC and ITV,with few notable exceptions,I'd get rid of the TV

Yes. In moderation we all like those things. But what they dont like is trying to be charged for a service call out when something goes wrong - despite being told that call outs were free.
Also, they are finding increasingly that the programming on SKY is not as good as it once was. They (well, 2 of the 3 have) have come to the conclusion that its now too expensive - considering they only watch SKY for about 25% of the time.
The only things that SKY does excel in is Sport and American soaps/serials.
And personally speaking sport doesn't bother me too much - and as for American soaps - the less I say about that trash the better. And I find very little American humour funny.
News, comedy, documentaries and films are provided on freeview as much as I need.

Interesting (and refreshing) that we all have such diverse opinions. You see if I was penning Stevie's post I would be trashing the Sky wall-to-wall rubbish and lauding the much higher standard (IMHO) offerings of terrestial TV!
But I have this love-hate relationship with the telly anyway. I was brought up to view it as a source of entertainment, not a way of life.
I love the way that for the licence fee of £140 a year (tank and a half of fuel), I have bought this amazing window on the world and can be taken to the heart of every news event 24/7/52, I can have a brilliant view of all the major sporting events that matter to me including Wimbledon, FA Cup, Grand National, Derby, etc, etc, and I can select the best of the first class documentaries, comedy (English) and drama. Outside of all that, I have a life.
I hate the way that certain people I know cannot do anything at the weekend, unless it's outside the football matches at 1300, 1500 and 1700. I hate the way that so many kids slouch in front of the telly from morning until night flicking through the channels trying desperately to find something they like (usually flicking over after 10 minutes or so).
I hate the way that my hosting of family get togethers has to be fitted around Dr Who or the X Factor. Conversation killer, or what? Don't switch it on, I hear you say - but that'll be the kiss of death as far as the long-faced youngsters are concerned.
I admire people who are doers - not watchers, but I guess I'm in the minority.
TV is a big and wonderful beast - but like all beasts and monsters it will take over if given half a chance. In many respects, it already has!
Just my opinion :dk:

Thats a point that has been running around in my head.

Young, very attractive good looking girl............

Very, very rich and powerful well past his sell by date man..............

Now let me think......................

No.

Cant think of a thing. :D

Where? All I can see is a Ginger Minger...jeez she even married Ross Kemp..:D

" Phone hacking whistleblower Sean Hoare has been found dead at his home in Watford, Hertfordshire, sources say"

Following in Dr Kelly's footsteps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom