News priorities....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
The world is potentially the closest it has been to a war, there is an ecological crisis and a large part of Australia is on fire. Yet what is the lead story for 15 minutes on the BBC? Two overprivileged people and their problems.

I happen to like what the Royal Family bring to the UK and the way Harry & Meghan have been treated by the press is nothing short of disgusting. But lead item on the news? Really?

...And now we have to read about them on here ;)

"We plan on becoming financially independent"

Yeah, because you very well know, noone will ever charge you a Penny for a single thing and you have X millions in the bank.

We are not any closer to war Iran can't start it , America even with Trump in charge wouldn't dare to, if Iran as they say they will, continue with their nuclear programme, they would never use it, simply because there can be no winner. The possibly only way America could stop them completing their nuclear madness, would be to nuke their deeply underground bomb making facility, that in itself wouldn't simply end there. So no it won't happen. Australia is on fire Yes, and not for the first time and certainly not the last. Global warming? Who knows? As for our wonderful Royals, yes they do a lot of good, much better than they're sometimes given credit for, but who really gives a s#it? Let them get on with it, they want to pay their own way, don't make me laugh, though they could easily afford to. Let them go, give them some slack, they'll be back, mores the pity. Don't know why all the fuss, well yes I do, Joe public love it and it sells newspapers. Bring on the next calamity. :thumb:

The most tangible sign so far that the monarchy won't survive after the current incumbent.

bet harry and meghan dont pay for their own security, we will still have to cough up

They are going to set up a charity which will pay for their security. That's an expensive front for a charity but still probably very worthwhile having them as patrons.

The secret agent has started dismantling the royal family from the inside - ¡Viva la revolucion!

Having worked in the printed media for 25 years it is blatantly obvious that gossip / trivia / sex scandals sells more copy than anything else.

Why let a proper "relevant" news story get in the way of some Z lister falling out of a nightclub and showing a bit too much flesh making the front page.

A few years ago there was going to be a "celeb" on the front page with a rather high cut dress , that was revealing a bit too much and left us in no doubt that she had forgot her underwear (maybe she was in a hurry to get ready) , we had printed / inserted / despatched tens of thousands of that printed copy then someone "from above" had a "legal" moment and we had to hunt down all the van drivers and retrieve all the papers . I bet the circulation would have peaked that night if the papers had been allowed to hit the shelves , unfortunately any extra £££ would need to be used to pay the legal bill for us getting sued.

K

Reactions: 219
Having worked in the printed media for 25 years it is blatantly obvious that gossip / trivia / sex scandals sells more copy than anything else.

Why let a proper "relevant" news story get in the way of some Z lister falling out of a nightclub and showing a bit too much flesh making the front page.

A few years ago there was going to be a "celeb" on the front page with a rather high cut dress , that was revealing a bit too much and left us in no doubt that she had forgot her underwear (maybe she was in a hurry to get ready) , we had printed / inserted / despatched tens of thousands of that printed copy then someone "from above" had a "legal" moment and we had to hunt down all the van drivers and retrieve all the papers . I bet the circulation would have peaked that night if the papers had been allowed to hit the shelves , unfortunately any extra £££ would need to be used to pay the legal bill for us getting sued.

K
Why would you get sued for showing a picture like that?? I can understand the ‘celebrity’ being a tad cheesed off but on what grounds can she (or was it a he?) sue the newspaper.

Harry & Meghan? Leaving for a new life in North America? Don’t forget to shut the door behind you.

Cheers,

Gaz

The monarchy as an institution is looking increasingly irrelevant. Most people don't seem to care that much.

Personally I think it's not before time. Many of the problems in the U.K. stem back to our hide bound adherence to tradition and the past.

They are going to set up a charity which will pay for their security. That's an expensive front for a charity but still probably very worthwhile having them as patrons.
Who would make financial contributions to a charity setup to pay for someone's lifestyle? Maybe the Sussexes can setup a crowd funding site to keep them off the poverty line! :)

Popped into my local today, picked up the daily rag off the bar. I had to get to page 19 before I saw a news item that did not have H & Meg on it ...in colour !

How many people died on that airliner in Iran on Tuesday ? :( That stuff however tragic will not sell as many papers as a 'good' royal scandal/story.

Why would you get sued for showing a picture like that?? I can understand the ‘celebrity’ being a tad cheesed off but on what grounds can she (or was it a he?) sue the newspaper.

It was definitely a she , the pic proved that without doubt , she may even have been Brazilian :rolleyes: .

Being a regular on TV she would have sued for public embarrassment / stress / loss of work etc etc. On more than one occasion I have seen 50,000+ copies in the bin as they may have contained something that could be deemed libelous.

K

I have no objection to Mr & Mrs Hewitt leaving the UK to do their own thing.

Provided the taxpayer doesn't foot the bill.

And they have their titles withdrawn.

I've always been a staunch monarchist/royalist and, whilst appreciating that the royals have always enjoyed a chequered past, times have moved on and it would seem "The Family" is now at a crossroads, with much love and support afforded to the Queen being reserved when Charles picks up the rei(g)ns.

Allowing the Hewitts to dictate their terms and permitting the taxpayer to fund their faux woke lifestyle will, I fear, lead to a dramatic loss of public support for the Family.

I have no objection to Mr & Mrs Hewitt leaving the UK to do their own thing.

And people wonder why they want to leave!

If you have the DNA proof, serve it up, if not just shut up, as you sound like the sad jealous fishwives from all over bullying and harassing them.

We are not any closer to war Iran can't start it , America even with Trump in charge wouldn't dare to, if Iran as they say they will, continue with their nuclear programme, they would never use it, simply because there can be no winner. The possibly only way America could stop them completing their nuclear madness, would be to nuke their deeply underground bomb making facility, that in itself wouldn't simply end there. So no it won't happen. Australia is on fire Yes, and not for the first time and certainly not the last. Global warming? Who knows? As for our wonderful Royals, yes they do a lot of good, much better than they're sometimes given credit for, but who really gives a s#it? Let them get on with it, they want to pay their own way, don't make me laugh, though they could easily afford to. Let them go, give them some slack, they'll be back, mores the pity. Don't know why all the fuss, well yes I do, Joe public love it and it sells newspapers. Bring on the next calamity. :thumb:
Actually, nothing sells newspapers these days when we all have free access to broadcast media and internet news .

I can’t remember when I last bought a printed newspaper

The monarchy as an institution is looking increasingly irrelevant. Most people don't seem to care that much.

Personally I think it's not before time. Many of the problems in the U.K. stem back to our hide bound adherence to tradition and the past.
I still have a lot of respect for HM , and to a slightly lesser extent , Anne .

I really can’t be bothered with Phil , and I absolutely don’t want Charlie to be king , along with his bit on the side , with whom he cheated throughout his marriage to Diana .

I’ve nothing against Wills and Harry , but I think ‘The Firm’ could be put into administration after HM passes .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom