News priorities....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Popped into my local today, picked up the daily rag off the bar. I had to get to page 19 before I saw a news item that did not have H & Meg on it ...in colour !

How many people died on that airliner in Iran on Tuesday ? :( That stuff however tragic will not sell as many papers as a 'good' royal scandal/story.
There’s also conjecture that the aircraft was shot down - the big question is , which side of the conflict has most to gain out of such an action ? I wouldn’t put it past either of them .

I agree with the OP, so many things happening yet news in the UK are about celebrities with nothing of essence. Then we resort to "biased" news outlets like RT news to get back in touch with reality

I agree with the OP, so many things happening yet news in the UK are about celebrities with nothing of essence. Then we resort to "biased" news outlets like RT news to get back in touch with reality
Well , for so long it was mostly Brexit , until everyone was sick of hearing about it .

He's a shrewd businessman.... now they can 'work' for their living. They'll make much more from speeches, interviews, merchandising, sponsorship, advertising, etc etc.

I am all in favour of the Monarchy and admire the charitable work done by members of the Royal family, which is why I am unimpressed when someone decides to keep the title but ditch the charity patronage.

Well , for so long it was mostly Brexit , until everyone was sick of hearing about it .
It wasn't as much of brexit they covered, it was about house of parliament arguing about brexit. When things got moving, news outlets went quiet.

Popped into my local today, picked up the daily rag off the bar. I had to get to page 19 before I saw a news item that did not have H & Meg on it ...in colour !

How many people died on that airliner in Iran on Tuesday ? :( That stuff however tragic will not sell as many papers as a 'good' royal scandal/story.

When people stop picking the rags up (whether buying or a free pub read) it will stop. Not before. 'If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem' comes to mind.

He's a shrewd businessman.... now they can 'work' for their living. They'll make much more from speeches, interviews, merchandising, sponsorship, advertising, etc etc.

I am all in favour of the Monarchy and admire the charitable work done by members of the Royal family, which is why I am unimpressed when someone decides to keep the title but ditch the charity patronage.

I too could be a "Shrewd Business Man" if I was guaranteed £2,000,000 per Year, BEFORE I got out of bed in the Morning!:doh:

^^^^ Yeah, it's funny that. Now that we are finally getting on with it , it (Brexit) has become a bit of a 'non story' . No doubt we will hear of it as it plods along but without all the screaming swivel eyed loons shouting at us from their perches of indignation via out TV sets and smart devices.

Gina Millar anyone ...? :dk:..No , me neither. Even Wee Krankie seems to have quietened down a bit. No doubt they will both pop up from time to time.

When people stop picking the rags up (whether buying or a free pub read) it will stop. Not before. 'If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem' comes to mind.

People have stopped picking up the "rags" , around 80 - 90% reduction in circulation over the last 20 years. There has been a seismic shift towards digital so there is still and will be an unhealthy appetite for gossip and trivia in our modern society.

K

Newspaper take up has shrunken dramatically, thats a fact. But the Sun tabloid reaches approx 1.4 million people a day...probably more if you count the people who might not buy it but pick it up second hand to have a look at it, so lets say 1.7 million...thats about the number of voters needed to push the Brexit vote over the line. In total newspaper circulation hits about 10 million a day in the UK, add to that ALL of them have digital content and they still have influence.

In the USA something like 65% of the population reads a newspaper everyday...or looks at the pictures, who knows ?

Reactions: 219
I can’t remember when I last bought a printed newspaper

Occasionally I used to get the Mail on Saturday as I really like the big crossword they have (perfect level for me - challenging but not impossible) Luckily someone at Sue's work gets it, so passes the crossword to me as the paper is pretty much a waste of paper. As you said, t'internet and radio gives me all I need (and lot's I don't! LOL)

Only because you are picking it up and they see that you are.
The only one I sometimes pick up is the Metro , which is free in the railway station , or left behind on the train by a previous passenger.

Other than the quantity delivered to stations , I don’t know how they’d analyse how many people read them .

Occasionally I used to get the Mail on Saturday as I really like the big crossword they have (perfect level for me - challenging but not impossible) Luckily someone at Sue's work gets it, so passes the crossword to me as the paper is pretty much a waste of paper. As you said, t'internet and radio gives me all I need (and lot's I don't! LOL)
Yesterday’s newspaper is today’s chip supper wrapping .

The only one I sometimes pick up is the Metro , which is free in the railway station , or left behind on the train by a previous passenger.

Other than the quantity delivered to stations , I don’t know how they’d analyse how many people read them .

I was referring to all media.
Newspapers easily ascertained via copies sold.
Free papers - assume each copy taken is read by one (though maybe there is a factor that accounts for it being read by more than one person - marketing will know if this is the case).
Digital - no click goes unnoticed.
TV and radio are probably the hardest to analyse for 'views'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom