Nexen tyre report

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philiggy

Car
C180 Estate & C220 CDI
Hi all
An update on my tyre purchase.

I have gone the budget(ish) route and fitted 245/40/17 Nexen N6000 tyres to the rear in place of my Conti's.
I'm very pleased with them in the dry but I'm amazed in the wet, I've just driven on very wet with standing water Motorways, A roads and side roads and they are excellent.
I drive quickly and have to say I cant fault them, they feel as good as the Conti's and better than the Bridgestone 050As.

Phil

My experience of budget tyres is that they are usually great when fresh but once you get half way they deteriorate in performance quickly.
Please come back and update this thread in a good few thousand miles.

My experience of budget tyres is that they are usually great when fresh but once you get half way they deteriorate in performance quickly.
Please come back and update this thread in a good few thousand miles.

Yes all tyres, get worse as they wear Bridgestone are terrible

Agree with you on the bridgestones, personally never experienced a good tyre made by them.

I have found vredestein and Michelin have both performed extremely well when very close to wear markers.
Tried some hifly tyres which performed fine until about 5mm tread and instead of the gradual decrease, the performance drop off was more like a cliff.

I do around 10k miles a year now instead of the 40-50k so I don't get the chance to experiment with many tyres as I used to.

I find this topic interesting.

I have always bought only top premium tyres.... but then the cost of new Conti MOs for my 205/55x16 rims is just £85 per corner... balanced and fitted with new valve. At this price it is not even worth considering 'cheaper' options because the total saving would only be a few quid.... and on a car doing 4k miles a year, these few quids will be divided over 4 or 5 years.

But - I often wondered what I would do if I had a car with some expensive-size rubber - e.g. 245/40x17 - would I fork out for Conti / Michelin MO etc - of settle for something that costs less?

Last edited:
I had Bridgestone RE050 on my BMW e92 330i and I thought they were great. Got 15-20k miles out of the rears each time. They were runflats too.

But - I often wondered what I would do if I had a car with some expensive-size rubber - e.g. 245/40x17 - would I fork out for Conti / Michelin MO etc - of settle for something that costs less?

Following on from my post above re Bridgestone, my only issue was they cost over £300 on a 19" rim. Now on my c63, Conti MO are only £200 on 19s. Also, I often drive 120-155mph (on European motorways) so would want the assurance of a premium brand. I treat my tyres with a lot of respect so happy to pay the price.

Always found Bridgestones to be rock hard, noisy and terrible grip until red hot i.e. not much use for road use. Have bought many cars that had bridgestones on and all benefited from a change in tyres.

A good friend is a tyre fitter and he curses them for being difficult to remove/fit and blames them for many cracked alloys, especially the run flats...

A good friend is a tyre fitter and he curses them for being difficult to remove/fit and blames them for many cracked alloys, especially the run flats...

Ah, the cracked alloys as seen on Watchdog. Over 55k miles and with exactly the same 'problem' alloys and runflats, I never once had an issue. I recall being paranoid my alloys would crack and it took several months of weekly tyre pressure checks to reassure me I was safe. I blame reckless drivers and potholes.

Check the tyre ratings on mytyres.com before you buy. You'll be surprised at some of the so called top manufacturers ratings.

I dislike Bridgestones I have a brand new Bridgestone 050a that I'm not going to use!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom