Nexen tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As with many of the above, I had a set on my Korean Hyundai Amica and they were fine... but the little Amica was hardly putting them to the limit of their performance.

They lasted quite well and I never noticed them being particularly loud, but I don't think I'd put them on a performance car.

I put these on the misses Focus C Max they were cheap compared to the conti's she had on before, but the sidewalls were really cracked on the rears and the front could of done with new ones so changed them all, There ok but don't give you the confidence if you were to throw it round a corner, there noway as good and the conti's but you pay for what you get. driving to and from work, shopping etc there fine, but sometimes a bit noisy depending on the road

lordlee, the cracks are on the inner face, so not visible unless you crawl underneath, and on a 3.5 year old car I reckon they should have lasted longer.
Will they're 265 35 R18 97Y and I'm being quoted £177 fitted for 2.

Ive just priced these up here, just out of interest and that is a bloody good price!

Had them on my 996 Carrera with no problems at all. Attractive tread pattern too as I recall. Didn't notice any difference at all when I (stupidly) switched to Pirellis apart from more noise from the Pirellis.

God awful tyres and shouldn't find there way onto anything more than a wheel barrow. Whilst they may feel OK to many, they have a characteristic of breaking traction on the limit in an instant. Very grip, grip, grip, ditch. A quality tyre gives up its grip gracefully and with feedback, these do not do that.

Hankook, Falken, Uniroyal all do good tyres for a decent budget. Nexen's are cheap for a reason.

Right, well I went back to the dealer and I misheard him, when I took his call I was in a noisy place, the price was £277. So I've decided against them and going for a pair of Avon ZZ5's. Thanks for the views and opinions.

I've been running them on my W203 C230 sport pack for a number of years and they are absolutely fine - as good as the Kumho's I used to run and the original Michelins which wore out in 5 minutes. I also have a separate set of wheels with the Winguard Sports. These will go on in the next week or so but again have had no problem using them in the French Alps in winter and never required snow chains.

At my local MB dealer today to have the car valeted, they pointed out that 2 rear tyres need replacing, and have suggested Nexen tyres, I've not heard of them, does anyone have any experience, good or bad? They are quite cheap, but I always believe you get what you pay for.....
Perfectly good tyres I have found...fitted to my E320 (previously to Jag and BMW)...apparently fitted as standard to many new cars, inc Porsche.......YES, Porsche...it IS true, a good friend recently took delivery of an £80K Porsche and they were fitted....he has no coplaints either, and she is an "enthusiastic driver"......okay, she has a "racing licence", and DOES. Enough said in my book....lose the brand snobery, they're fine. :)

MBG62, no brand snobbery, my original post said I'd never heard of them.

MBG62, no brand snobbery, my original post said I'd never heard of them.
I apologise to you if you felt that I was somehow referring to YOU....I was NOT, but rather a general concept....poorly punctuated I admit, having gone back and re-read (being somewhat confused)....
The referred concept was regarding general brand snobbery, "oh I can't put/use XY or Z on my precious "Mercedes"...after all, it IS a Mercedes you know...." we have all come across them.....Most THINKING folk realise that price/brand mean little in 2018, let's face it Range Rover = Tata ...but don't tell the RANGE ROVER Evoque (Freelander) owner that as they are likely to have a nervous breakdown, or that VW own Seat, Audi, Porsche, Skoda, Rolls Royce...... YUP...a SKODA "Silver Shadow"....awesome. The reality is (as proven of TV programmes ... often).... a good proportion wouldn't know what was what or quality if it bit them on the leg.
Please no-one be offended........conversation for FUN (and thought)......NOW, "brexit"........

I had Nexen tyres on my Kia (factory fitted), but personally I would not fit them to the Merc because of brand snobbery.

I am not suggesting that the Nexen tyres are any better or worse than the Dunlop tyres I have now, or the Continental tyres I had previously (they may or mau not be - I do not know), but I like the way the car looks with the name Dunlop and the logo on the tyre's sidewall.

So personally I see no issue with brand snobbery. To my mind it's an extension of aesthetic taste.

I can't disagree. I also like to see a premium brand name on the tyres. But it's perverse and logically Nexen are good enough to do the job. If Nexen were to produce a tyre that was indisputably every bit as good as the accepted major brands, I wonder how long it would take before they were also an accepted premium name. Probably as long as it will take for Skoda to shake of their image or the prestige names of Mclaren and Williams to be in the ascendancy again.

Brand snobbery is everywhere. I've just finished re-fitting the kitchen and chose a middle road of all Bosch appliances. In the process I discovered that much badge engineering goes on. For example AEG items are made by Zanussi. If you compare an AEG and a Zanussi dishwasher they can be absolutely identical except of course for the name and the price.

Had Nexen tyres on my ML when I bought it.

Quite honestly they were awful in any of the areas that matter.....wet grip, dry grip, braking, turn-in, ride.....probably other characteristics too, but I'd had enough. They were quiet, but that was about all I could see as a positive.

Off came the Nexens on the standard 9" AMG wheels, and on went another set of ML wheels but this time 18" fitted with Dunlop SP sport 9000. These turned out to be excellent in all the areas that the Nexens were't, and just as quiet, so I think I've hit the sweet-spot.

Changing to 18" wheels (with 285/50 tyres) was the best decision I've made. No longer do I have to drive in a bizarre zig-zag fashion to avoid Surrey's famous potholes. That being said, the ride on the W164 is still pretty poor. It has the "tyres filled with concrete" feeling that transmits every bump, small or large faithfully into the body structure. No wonder MLs get so rattly.

I would imagine that's because of the "SUV-spec" that tyres in these sizes tend to come in. I'm guessing heavy-duty (ie: stiff) sidewalls for crashing up kerbs on the school-run is more important to the average target customer.

At least that's what the tyre companies seem to think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom