Next C63 will be a 4 pot hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
^ She will never hear true quality reproduction though Ant. Sad to say, vinyl is a thing of the past although I see a few places still stocking it.

Even DJ's have a playlist on a laptop these days.:(

Vinyl as far as I'm aware has been making its come back for a few years now and is showing on signs of waning. Part of the appeal is the 'handling' (the bit the rest of us tired of) the ritual of pulling a disc from a sleeve or two and taking in the art work and sleeve notes and that is subsequent to the browsing in a record store - an experience quite like unlike any other purchasing transaction. Maybe that is a substitute for a lack of physical reading material (eg, magazines) in our digital world but for a younger audience, it has appeal.
The audio quality argument I'll leave to the audio buffs - only adding the tendency of some to include hisses and scratches on digital recordings. Exactly what we tried to avoid with vinyl.

I never had a turntable of a high enough quality to out do CDs so 44.1KHz has always sounded best to me.

I can't hear the difference between a 320Kbps-encoded MP3 over a CD, so the flexibility of having 2500 songs on one device over carrying 3 tons of vinyl of 1.5 tons of CDs wins for me! :D

Lower than a 911 boxer engine...?

I think I've seen cut away pictures where the batteries are lower because the engine has some height to it. Not sure if that is the norm with batteries though.

If lowest C of G is the priority - why so many SUVs?

I'm less than enamoured that the next tranche of road vehicles are going to be so heavy. That has its own cost in tyre and road wear. It also ups significantly the kinetic energy in motion - not good in an accident. More weight never benefits handling - it will always intrude somewhere in the proceedings.

If lowest C of G is the priority - why so many SUVs?

I'm less than enamoured that the next tranche of road vehicles are going to be so heavy. That has its own cost in tyre and road wear. It also ups significantly the kinetic energy in motion - not good in an accident. More weight never benefits handling - it will always intrude somewhere in the proceedings.

Centre of gravity is only really a priority in cars like the C63.

SUV is more about space and comfort although they have a way to go on the comfort of the ride when compared to the 10 of years of development of saloons.

I've yet to drive a larger SUV on air though like a Q7 - I wonder if they ride well and are comfortable.

Centre of gravity is only really a priority in cars like the C63.

Derived from a saloon, it'll never be a Lotus but high Cof G affects any vehicle if only in the need for stiffer springing to prevent roll.....

SUV is more about space and comfort although they have a way to go on the comfort of the ride when compared to the 10 of years of development of saloons.

...... which then intrudes on comfort - as you allude. (Space in an SUV? Can't think of a less space efficient package).

I've yet to drive a larger SUV on air though like a Q7 - I wonder if they ride well and are comfortable.

Wonderfully according to recent thread - if they are air sprung that is. More weight cost etc but the market is set up for that but strikes me as the tail wagging the dog.

Derived from a saloon, it'll never be a Lotus but high Cof G affects any vehicle if only in the need for stiffer springing to prevent roll.....

That won't affect the average driver except in emergency situations I would think.

I thought I could live with an SUV but I discovered my driving is still spirited enough at times to warrant a saloon!

...... which then intrudes on comfort - as you allude. (Space in an SUV? Can't think of a less space efficient package).

I'm imaging a typical family bumbling along comfort. I can't get comfortable in anything smaller than an S-Class size saloon these.

So the SUV in my head is always a Q7 type one which I presume is roomy?

Saying that, I know the late noughties full fat Range Rover is incredibly small inside and I had a lot more room in my W211 E55.

Wonderfully according to recent thread - if they are air sprung that is. More weight cost etc but the market is set up for that but strikes me as the tail wagging the dog.

Probably why they brought along the Q8.

I can't see a day when I would actually have either and they are way too big for my other half.

I think I will be a saloon fan until I stop driving.

Vinyl as far as I'm aware has been making its come back for a few years now and is showing on signs of waning. Part of the appeal is the 'handling' (the bit the rest of us tired of) the ritual of pulling a disc from a sleeve or two and taking in the art work and sleeve notes and that is subsequent to the browsing in a record store - an experience quite like unlike any other purchasing transaction. Maybe that is a substitute for a lack of physical reading material (eg, magazines) in our digital world but for a younger audience, it has appeal.
The audio quality argument I'll leave to the audio buffs - only adding the tendency of some to include hisses and scratches on digital recordings. Exactly what we tried to avoid with vinyl.
Browsing vinyl records has always been a bit strange. In the past you may have heard one or two tracks from the album on the radio (or not) so you went to a record store and bought an album based on looking at the cover and reading the notes (unless the artist was one of your favorites and you would have purchased it anyway)...a bit like buying a pair of shoes sight unseen simply by liking what you read on the box :)

^ She will never hear true quality reproduction though Ant. Sad to say, vinyl is a thing of the past although I see a few places still stocking it.

Even DJ's have a playlist on a laptop these days.:(
A few places ...like Morrisons and Sainsburys for example and Asda..only the biggest retailers in the UK. Not proper vinyl shops but they only do stuff for profit so there must be something in it. Queens greatest hits on vinyl ? ...Argos £25.00 !!! :eek:

Browsing vinyl records has always been a bit strange. In the past you may have heard one or two tracks from the album on the radio (or not) so you went to a record store and bought an album based on looking at the cover and reading the notes (unless the artist was one of your favorites and you would have purchased it anyway)...a bit like buying a pair of shoes sight unseen simply by liking what you read on the box :)
I saw a great band (to my teenage eyes and ears) on TOGWT one Friday night called 999, the next morning I was off to HMV to buy the album.

I came home with an album by a new band called The Police by mistake.

Gutted.

^ She will never hear true quality reproduction though Ant.......

but she’ll hear it real time in concerts she attends. IMO the marginal (very debatable) sacrifice in sound quality is a small price to pay for the convenience of having any one of 40 million songs on your device in the blink of an eye and even playing them on one (or all) of the 6 HomePods around the house.

I’d be very curious to find out just how many of the Vinyl lovers buy regular up to date current music or just play the same old music of yesteryear?

Getting this back on track , having thought about this, if the C63 does loose the V8 hopefully the the folk at Affalterbach and MB will want it to go out with some fanfare. I’m hoping for a “Final Edition 607”, 607 bhp is already available from the ttV8 , stick some vents in the bonnet , optional Aero bits, new alloys, W205 Edition 1 style interior , Carbon Ceramic brakes front and rear with a Solarbeam paint option will do nicely :D , I’m off down to MB to get my name on one ;)

but she’ll hear it real time in concerts she attends. IMO the marginal (very debatable) sacrifice in sound quality is a small price to pay for the convenience of having any one of 40 million songs on your device in the blink of an eye and even playing them on one (or all) of the 6 HomePods around the house.

I’d be very curious to find out just how many of the Vinyl lovers buy regular up to date current music or just play the same old music of yesteryear?

In the end, I couldn't be bothered to even load CDs into the CD player separate when I had one 12 years ago.

I did have to invest in a decent sound card but I was chuffed to convert it all to my PC and play music from that.

As long as it sounds good to the person listening, it's cool.

WhenI first saw the title of this thread I was tempted to comment, but have behaved until now - but...

Down the pub, you ask Johnny the lad - "What do you drive?"
An MB C63AMG:):):)"
OK, so you drive a 4 cylinder petrol powered by Duracell!!:D:D"
:p:p:(:(

I am sure that 30 years ago people thought that the idea of fuel injection and cats fitted to a proper sport car in order to meet emissions regulations was an anathema. And yet........

Time to move with the times, me thinks.

Vinyl and V8 for me! As I work in construction, I’d rather have an older properly built house rather than a throw it up new build with god only knows how many snags. I’d rather enjoy a good driving experience rather than new technology that you will never keep pace with. iPhone 32 that makes breakfast anyone?

Getting this back on track , having thought about this, if the C63 does loose the V8 hopefully the the folk at Affalterbach and MB will want it to go out with some fanfare. I’m hoping for a “Final Edition 607”, 607 bhp is already available from the ttV8 , stick some vents in the bonnet , optional Aero bits, new alloys, W205 Edition 1 style interior , Carbon Ceramic brakes front and rear with a Solarbeam paint option will do nicely :D , I’m off down to MB to get my name on one ;)

This is EXACTLY what I'm hoping for as well. A "final" edition w205 C63 like the 507 or black series in the previous w204 generation. Sadly, I haven't heard any rumours yet but I remain hopeful.

It's a sad , yet inevitable way motoring for the future is going. Just be thankful its not all electric .
Not totally surprised and I'd expect MB's competitors to go the same way, so looking to BMW and Audi for a new V8 won't help.

Now more than ever, if you have never had a V8 AMG, just do it. They'll all be gone one day.
I wonder who will supply the V8 for Aston Martin in future ? Is it the end for V10's and V12's in Lambos and Ferrari's?
So many questions:D

They’ll still be making the V8’s and using them in the larger cars. E/GLE/S/GT’s. Well, for now anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom