Next C63 will be a 4 pot hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
C63 S Final Edition Coupe announced today. 45 units for the UK

I'm really interested to drive the new C63. AMG have invested a lot in creating the emotional appeal of a true C63, not just the performance and track times, which is relatively easy. They did a good job with the W205 of succeeding the brilliant 6.2 V8 with fantastic hydraulic steering with a TT, electric steering car that is still a hoot and a hooligan and fun at lower speeds, even if it had to be less raw. They say they have focussed on keeping this DNA...let's see!

Is this downsizing actually improving efficiency and reducing CO2 output anywhere other than the homologation emission testing?
Recent comments on Fiat's TwinAir and tales Porsche's four cylinder in the Cayman being thirstier when pressed than the previous six cylinder suggest otherwise.
The problem (as I see it) is that boosted engines inevitably have to run rich under load to suppress detonation - bang goes the fuel efficiency. Despite Porsche claiming all sorts of trickery to avoid that.
The trickery makes a difference though.

If you're driving in a sporty manner, then of course the efficiency goes out the door, but smart things like regenerative braking and then using that to propel the car when appropriate all add up to less fuel burnt per mile travelled.

I suspect that long-time AMG fans might find this new car a bit of a letdown, but I think it will find plenty of new fans, and I count myself among such future fans. I just need to earn the money first 😃.

Not that I would ever be able to afford a new E or C63......but even if I could I would never buy a four cylinder AMG on principle. And the same will be true when they are second hand. Not sure why Mercedes (and others) are investing this time, money and effort making hybrids that they will only be able to sell for a few years. After 2030 selling hybrids in the UK and many other places (with one or two short lived super clean hybrid exceptions) will be just as illegal as full ICE cars. So IMO they should either sell proper ICE cars to petrol heads like us until the ban.....or go full EV (something else I would never buy!) on the 63s now. Hybrids are the worst of both worlds.

Not that I would ever be able to afford a new E or C63......but even if I could I would never buy a four cylinder AMG on principle. And the same will be true when they are second hand. Not sure why Mercedes (and others) are investing this time, money and effort making hybrids that they will only be able to sell for a few years. After 2030 selling hybrids in the UK and many other places (with one or two short lived super clean hybrid exceptions) will be just as illegal as full ICE cars. So IMO they should either sell proper ICE cars to petrol heads like us until the ban.....or go full EV (something else I would never buy!) on the 63s now. Hybrids are the worst of both worlds.
Car manufacturers must achieve a fleet average of 95 g/km CO2 emissions or face heavy fines. Full EVs really help to offset full ICE models but there is a limit to how many they can sell due to public attitudes as evidenced by comments in this thread, Every hybrid they sell also offsets + albeit to a lesser degree - but importantly is one less full ICE model sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom