Next car. AMG or somthing else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ben320cdi

Car
E350cdi
Ok so hopefully not too much ridicule. I am looking for some constructive advice on my next vehicle. I currently have an A207 350cdi. Great to look at but dull as dishwater to drive. It did what it was bought to do and got the family down to the south of France and was fun whilst there. Mrs has said no more hols in the car. So now I don't have to worry about the fuel for long hols drives I'm thinking more about performance. My main wish is something I can enjoy whilst on my own but is still relatively practical. I also have to consider running costs not so much fuel as I have a company car but servicing will be a factor. With the budget I have in mind I am looking at cars around 2011 sub 70'000 miles lower if possible. My short list is below all advise appreciated.

1) E63
2) Jag XFR
3) BMW M3 Saloon (Manual, thought it might be more fun)
4) C63
5) Audi RS3
6) Audi RS4 ( Manual)
7) Fast Diesel BM or Audi Bi Turbo

I can only speak about point 7. Have tried the 640d and 530d, but was a bit disappointed with both of them tbh.

Have also tried an A6 BiTDI and that is something else. It goes like s*** off a shovel. Have to look around on these as they are a bit poverty spec compared to a Mercedes. As far as the engine goes, it is superb.

To add, I am saying this after driving down there in my E350 CDI in 265 guise.

I'd say E63 all day long if you can stretch to the Biturbo facelift model.
In reality, you have to try these cars before deciding. We all have different tastes.

Top two for me would be XFR or E63 with the XFR just shading it because of the stupendous supercharged V8 engine.

Wouldn’t include diesels in my list, as good as some of the bi-turbos and tri-turbos are, pound for pound, they’re still diesels.

Why not line a few up for test drives, see what you think, personal experience where “fast” cars are concerned is very subjective; when the choices become hard it can sometimes boil down to tech and rude etc.

I'm probably biased and would go for the E63, or failing that another petrol V8. I had an A6 BiTDi and whilst it was incredibly capable, it was too capable, and too clinical in it's delivery - sadly very popular for use by criminals, for obvious reasons.

Ironically the cars you've listed would be an even better choice than your current car for whizzing down to the South of France and having some fun whilst you're down there. Road trip!

The list seems to have split people as it has me. The XFR appeals in may ways mainly the engine which I cant seem to find a bad review about. In my price range it comes in as the latter reg car. The C63 I think would be amazing fun but having owned a diesel C320 before it would look exactly the same inside. The E63 is where my heart is but terrifies me with potential repair bills. So I'm still on the fence. I know I want a sub 5 second to 60 car with circa 500 bhp. So that rules out the diesels and the M3 but I will leave the RS3 in just as pound for performance its the most bang for a buck for want of a better phrase. So shortened list:

1) E63 at my budget a non turbo 2010 reg circa 60k on the clock. I would like the performance pack. ( I think? )
2) C63 Circa 60 to 70k 09 ish reg
3) Jag XFR 2011 ish reg 60k on clock
4)RS3 2011 below 50k on the clock

Something I am also considering is future tuning potential and the cost associated with it. The XFR responds well to a pulley, exhaust and map. The RS3 can be taken to over 400bhp for not a lot of money. I'm not sure what sort of gains are available on the n/a 6.2 V8. I cant afford to go down the super charging route. Ive been led to believe the C63 can make over 500bhp with just a map but await you guys confirming or disproving this.

One I would suggest for the list would be a Panamera, either the 4.8 V8 or the Turbo. I know the looks may divide opinion, but they are superb cars to drive and the interior would be right up there with any of the others, if not better.

D

Best of luck with your choice.

Thanks guys. What I think I'm going to do: The Benz on the green meet is in a couple of months. Plenty of E's and C's to look at. Plus owners to speak to. I'm better off selling mine in the warmer months anyway. Just need to find an XFR to have a look at around the same time. Then I can make a more informed decision. Embarrassed to admit it was the Mrs idea to look and sit at BOTG!

v small boot in the panamera

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom