Next Generation Maybach - Co-Developed by Aston Martin?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Next Generation Maybach - Co-Developed by Aston Martin?

After the luxury brand of Daimler AG, Maybach, was awarded a second go, it came to light that Mercedes-Benz could actually be in advanced discussions with Aston Martin that aim an extensive cooperation. Precisely, in case of a partnership, the British firm would be in charge of developing the next-generation Maybach and, in response, the Stuttgart-based manufacturer would supply the Brits with a comprehensive array of powertrains and engines to choose from. Until the situation becomes crystal clear, we find out that the future Maybach could be previewed this year, when a concept car is officially premiered at IAA Frankfurt in September. Compared to the current model which is based on the S-Class W 140 underpinnings, the new ultra-luxurious limousine will be strongly connected to the forthcoming W 222 S-Class, expected to showcase at the end of 2012. A prime rendition of the new Maybach has already hit the internet and has been published by Autobild. Although the result is far from being shocking or impressive, it's better than nothing, for the time being.

illustration-future-maybach.jpg

illustration-future-maybach-2.jpg

I wonder where they got the inspiration for the colour scheme?

image1.jpg

Looks like a large Hyundai Equus.

The current Maybach 57 and 62 models are also horrible.

Presumably owning a Maybach is about making a statement - that the owner has no taste. :(

Certainly that the owner has considerably more money than sense.

Odd that MB would ask Aston Martin to work with them. Perhaps finally they have realised that the really well off want something more than an ugly stretched S class with interiors by Lufthansa?

they look ****e! sorry its just such a horrible looking car, although in 70 years time or so give or take a day or so :p they will be so sought after i can guarantee it!

Luxury wise its amense though

Maybach concept rumored for Frankfurt debut

According a recent report, Aston Martin and Daimler have signed an engine and platform sharing agreement.

While this has been rumored since 2008, Car and Driver is reporting the two companies signed an agreement in late 2010 which calls for Aston Martin to build the redesigned Maybach at their factory in Gaydon, England. More interestingly, C&D says the car will be based on the 2013 Mercedes S-Class and will be previewed as a concept at this year's Frankfurt Motor Show.

In return, Daimler will reportedly give Aston the M/GL platform as well as the 4.7-liter twin-turbo V8 with 435 PS (320 kW / 429 hp) and 700 Nm (516 lb-ft) of torque. Furthermore, the company would also gain an undisclosed diesel engine, hybrid technology, and the 2013 S-Class platform for the Lagonda sedan.

We're taking everything with a grain of salt, but we'll likely find out more at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September.

Source: Car & Driver via Autoblog

I really think they should give up on the Maybach.

Either that or change the exterior design somewhat.

Never been a fan of Maybach's aesthetics, exterior wise. However inside is the complete contrast, perhaps where it really matters the most for business moguls.. :confused:

I wonder where they got the inspiration for the colour scheme?

They only ordered enough paint for an S class.

I find it strange that Mercedes claim to be a pinnacle manufacturer, but really the E and S are their flagship products, they always seem to struggle to design anything special above those ranges.
They are short of flair and inspiration.

The Maybach may be technically more competent, but I'd have a Phantom every time.

Although Phantom looks a lot better from the outside, Maybach wins handsdown on interior. I firmly believe the majority would prefer comfort over looks, I'd also prefer to have the more discreet/ understated of the two.

Although Phantom looks a lot better from the outside, Maybach wins handsdown on interior. I firmly believe the majority would prefer comfort over looks, I'd also prefer to have the more discreet/ understated of the two.

That statement is quite correct. ^
And that is why they sell so many, because people with plenty of money don't care about the exterior or how it drives because they are driven by their chauffeurs and they spend all their time looking at the inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom