NGk iridium for ´98 C230K

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yup. None of them! You dont need iridium plugs.

Why not? Read about them, and they sounded good. Which ones do you recommend them?

Iridium plugs have different temperature properties to normal plugs. The aim (I presume) is to make more power. Lots of guys in the US have tried them some have had problems with ignition and temperature.

Show one independent dyno test before and after fitment that show a benefit and I'll buy some!

I don't think spark plugs would lead to a noticeable difference in power, so may not be any improvement on a dyno.

That said I had them fitted to my Astra Couple Turbo, as I'd heard that it would solve an occasional misfire at idle, that was a fairly common problem with the ZLET engine. Worked a treat - misfire banished. Worth a little extra in that instance.

I bought three sets from www.sparkplugs.co.uk and their service was absolutely superb.

I checked their website for Christian:

www.sparkplugs.co.uk said:
Make MERCEDES BENZ
Model C230K
Production Year 10/95-->05/01
Engine Size 2.3
Variant 202 Series KOMPRESSOR
Engine Type M111.975
Additional Info N/A
Standard Gap (mm) 1.0

Standard Part (may be Copper, Platinum or OEM Iridium)
Part Number BKUR6ET-10
Price per Plug £3.57+vat

Iridium IX Part
Part Number BKR6EIX-11
Price per Plug £5.50+vat

Since you have a kompressor, you want to make sure you get the right plugs. Kompressor engines are more picky about plugs. You don't want ones that burn hotter. That page you showed looked like it was basing things on the specs. for a US 98 C230. That car did not have a kompressor.

Lots of US cars have had problems with iridium plugs. I looked into it for a while but is 1bhp worth the risk. The answer is no!

Are these the miracle plugs that have a special coating on the tip?

The special coating thats going to get covered in crap after about 2 minutes? :)

Having dynoed lots of mods down the years I wouls be amazed it they made any positive difference but not suprised if moving out of MBs specification caused problems.

Do any of you actually know anything about how spark plugs work? From your comments I'd suggest not :rolleyes:.

Iridium plugs will generally last longer and provide a more consistant spark than normal copper electrodes. The heat range of a plug has nothing to do with the electrode coating.

You will only gain horsepower if your car is suffering from fouling plugs. You will gain economy - no more than 1 or 2 mpg but with the extended plug change time they are worth the investment.

Toyota & Lexus use Iridium plugs as standard.

stats007 said:
Iridium plugs will generally last longer and provide a more consistant spark than normal copper electrodes. The heat range of a plug has nothing to do with the electrode coating.

You will only gain horsepower if your car is suffering from fouling plugs. You will gain economy - no more than 1 or 2 mpg but with the extended plug change time they are worth the investment.

Completely agree with the above. On the SEC i have used the iridium tipped plugs and they cured the lumpy idle (known as the v8 wobble) i had due to their stronger more regulated spark compared with the equivalent Bosch plug.

Can't say i've seen an increase in economy but the engine feels smoother on idle. Not cheap, but i recommend them highly.

stats007 said:

My SW20 MR2 had either platinum or iridium OEM plugs - platinum I think - that had a 60,000 mile service life, and cost £60 to replace. I remember thinking it was a lot of money but justified it on the extended life - I dread to think how much it will cost on the C32 - and they will probably need to be done next service!! :eek:

stats007 said:

This is my understanding too. Echoed by:

Q4. Will I get a noticeable power increase if I replace my standard plugs with Iridium plugs?
A4. Increases are dependant on current plugs, number of cylinders, cylinder capacity and a host of other details. The biggest increases seem to be from large engined vehicles with a large number of cylinders (eg 3.0L V6 and above). Having said that, any improvement on a small engined vehicle will be more noticeable. Please refer to our Iridium spark plugs page for further information. If you are currently using very old/worn or incorrect spark plugs then replacing with a new set will almost always produce a noticeable increase in performance.

Advantages of Iridium spark plug types
Because of the properties of Iridium, the spark plugs centre electrode can be made with a much smaller diameter than with platinum types (0.8mm), Gold or gold palladium and copper/nickel types. This means that spark plugs potential difference is more concentrated and hence less 'spark jump' voltage is required - this can be as much as 5,000 volts less than with standard plug types. Ignition is improved and less strain is placed on the ignition system. Benefits of improved ignition/combustion include better fuel economy, increased power/acceleration and especially better throttle response.

Bobby Dazzler said:
My SW20 MR2 had either platinum or iridium OEM plugs - platinum I think - that had a 60,000 mile service life, and cost £60 to replace. I remember thinking it was a lot of money but justified it on the extended life - I dread to think how much it will cost on the C32 - and they will probably need to be done next service!! :eek:

A dealer will charge around £200 - you can do them yourself easily enough though this won't appear on the service record. Times vary per engine but estimate 1 - 2hrs labour. I replaced all 16 on my last two V8s - plugs were £85 from memory so do shop around if you go this route.

I replaced My C43 plugs with Denso Iridium Power VK16PRZ11 Plugs. £8.89 plus VAT from Opie Oils a very helpful Company www.opieoils.co.uk , i also got my Mobi1 0w-40 from them £61.40 8 Litres. My Indi charged 1 Hours labour to fit the plugs. The car certainly performed better, mind you when you spend £240.00 for plugs and oil it's bound to feel a little better. ;)

Just wanted to say that the idle is actually more stable after installing the Iridium plugs.

christiandk said:
Just wanted to say that the idle is actually more stable after installing the Iridium plugs.
Excellent result - that's what I found too on my previous car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom