NHS doctor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model X & Mercedes W212 /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
It does seem unfair but we're only hearing his side of things and even then fairly briefly.

Before signing any petition I would question whether there more to this than the article tells us.

May hinge on the difference between training and employment. Certain medical jobs may continue to have an element of training in them and thus any non European national would be exempt for immigration regulations being regarded as a "student in further education" Should the nature of their activities change such that their "training" ceases and they are seeking say GP registration by employment experience then a different set of criteria may apply to their continued presence in the UK. I doubt its simply a question of late application but probably a change in his training v employment status. Not passing judgement just speculation as to the likely cause of the decision.

There may or may not be more to this than we are being told. But I know from first hand experience that there are people in the Home Office’s UK Visas and Immigration department who appear to take pleasure in wielding their power.

23 years ago my wife to be came to the UK with a student visa that had been issued by the British Embassy in Mongolia. But on her arrival at Heathrow she was held for questioning for several hours without giving her a reason, and eventually they refused her leave to enter. They said that her circumstances had changed, but they had nothing to substantiate the claim. She was released into my “custody” pending the next available flight back to Mongolia a week later.

She resigned herself to her fate, feeling powerless to do anything about the authority’s decision. But I was furious because I knew the only thing that had changed was that her friend who was supposed to be with her had to stay in Mongolia as a result of her sister’s sudden death. I immediately lodged an appeal. Several months later, after an initial court appearance had been postponed, the solicitor representing the Home Office was told in no uncertain terms that the Immigration Officer who had initially refused leave to enter had done so without any cause and clearly wasted a lot of everyone’s time.

Over the following years we married, my wife was granted permanent leave to remain, and eventually she was granted British Citizenship. Several years later her niece was refused a visitor visa when she wanted to come here for a holiday, again on incorrect grounds. A severe letter from me, copied to our MP, quickly reversed that decision. We don’t hold UK Visa and Immigration Officers in the highest regard!

Perhaps the Home Office share or recruit staff from the DWP , or their contractors...

Perhaps the Home Office share or recruit staff from the DWP , or their contractors...
Yep - you have to suspect Capita don't you. They run the immigration service and are heavily involved in other government services including the MOD. Quite how we have allowed private companies such as these to basically rule our lives defeats me.

The inherent problem in outsourcing any government business to a third party contractor is that surely that any such contractor is going to be tempted by commercial pressures to produce the "desired "result rather than producing the "correct" result. I still suspect its tied up to this.
Review finds 'no evidence' of student overstaying problem in UK

For many years my other half worked for the MOD , processing pay for the Army , later all three services .

At some point , this function was contracted out to EDS , a Texan based company.

After the birth of our son , she took voluntary redundancy, and now he’s a bit older is back working for the Ministry of Justice .

For many years my other half worked for the MOD , processing pay for the Army , later all three services .

At some point , this function was contracted out to EDS , a Texan based company.

After the birth of our son , she took voluntary redundancy, and now he’s a bit older is back working for the Ministry of Justice .

I suspect that the issue in this case is bureacratic - possibly compounded by some poor or misunderstood advice.

Outsourcing or insourcing is probably irrelevant.

My first thought was 'why did he leave it so late?' but even that might well be unfair because it's possible that there has been some personal or bureacratic complication to his visa status and the overall timeline. The sorts of thing that can mess up your status can be as simple as an unplanned trip back to your home country and some minor paperwork issue on reentry that isn't realised at the time and later comes back to bite and trips things up and needs to get cleaned.

On the whole publicity for the HO when it comes to immigration tends to be negative. And I think there are anomalies and unfairness that arise from time tio time. But. I also have to say that over the years my observation is that the UK is actually a fairly polite and open setup compared with others - and for all the negativity the 'benefit of the doubt' seems to often go the way of the induividual to smooth things over.

We only get to hear of the negative experiences.

After all there's not much hysteria to be taken from cases where the immigrant is treated appropriately in the eyes of those involved.

Add a trainee doctor into the mix and we have the perfect storm.

That actually is interesting because it rather demonstrates the complexity of the rules and how things change according to date.

So it looks like there are a number of bureacratic traps depending on dates and situation.

I think the human rights thing is a red herring. If it's true that the application was started in time (even if it was just in time) but the procedure added a delay then you have to have sympathy - yes he should have expedited it earlier and this mess could have been avoided - but it's not for the system to unwittingly set traps either.

On the other hand the system isn't actually being capricious or evil. It's set out in a particular way - he's a professional with means - he could have dealt with it. Leveraging it with the NHS is a ploy (an obvious and logical one) but that's really irrelevant other than to imply that he would meet any requirements to support himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom