Nice car but can’t...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

14emerc

Car
E class 220cdi
Little story from a couple of years back when my EClass was about a year old. We were down in Devon for a few weeks holiday and driving through the narrow Devon countryside. A car coming the other way so I pulled as close as possible to the hedgerow and stopped. As far as I was concerned either I was to backup or he was, but he kept on coming. My roof was down and I could hear the bramble scratching the side of his car as he passed us at a crawl. I remember him saying to his passenger “nice car but can’t drive” Gave me a good laugh when I think about all those bramble scratch marks he’s going to find.

Reactions: 219
People are so odd especially when it comes to giving way.

I've driven down in Devon on many an occasion and I suspect the locals are fine but probably other visitors that struggle. I was visiting the Valley of the Rocks near Lynton. There's a toll road but they initial part is wide enough for two cars to pass no problem, you just wouldn't hammer it down there at 40. I carried on driving probably at 20 and the other driver was gesturing and all sorts.

Passed each other no problem at all but I couldn't honestly fathom out what his issue was. Other than not having a clue about spacial awareness and thinking I should have stopped.

Also OP, stopping and then working out who's going to back up is the sensible thing to do. If the idiot wants to drag his car into the bushes let him but I'd have done and do the same. Come to a stop, if they choose to drive into a ditch or hedge crack on. If not someone backs up. :)

Its ingrained bravado that most drivers have today. Cannot yield!!!! Must not be seen to be weak!!!!

Sheffield is really bad for it, narrow roads with double parked cars and people literally drive at you. Stupid or ignorant? A dangerous combination of the two I'm certain. The level of fearlessness they show is wasted on driving, these mouth breathers wouldn't hesitate to go sun bathing on a beach covered in land mines.

When I lived in Sheffield a friend of mine called round to collect something, I took it out to him and leaned through the window on my narrow side road, I was there 30 seconds. As I stood up, a woman rounded the corner at about 30 mph in 20 zone, looked at me, looked at the gap between me and the parked car opposite. And then shut her eyes and aimed for the gap. She actually shut her eyes. Didn't apply the brakes, just carried on. Shoot first and ask questions later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom