Nice ICE.......Baby!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimmy

MB Enthusiast
Car
Discovery 3 TDV6, Discovery 300TDi - Plaything!
At long last I have finished installing my Sat Nav and rear speakers and amplifier.

travelpilot.jpg

I even managed to wire my hands-free phone kit into the radio, so that the radio automatically mutes and the phone call is heard through the front speakers:bannana: . Much better than the tinny Nokia speaker.

satnav.jpg

Sat Nav is brilliant, it makes driving so much easier and more relaxing when you are in unknown territory.

t202rearspeakers1.jpg

I couldn't fit 6x9's in the tailgate so went for 61/2" full range speakers.

t202rearspeakersamp.jpg

New Infinity speakers for the tailgate and a Vibe amplifier to power them. :cool:

vibeamp.jpg

The install all looks very good and everything was done properly.;) The only thing I am not 100% happy with is the position of the amp, I would have preferred to hide it out of sight and out of the way, especially when the dogs are in it......well that's why I have an estate!!!

I may consider 'hiding' it inside the spare wheel well but am not sure if there would be enough ventilation.

Oh by the way, the sound improvement is excellent, at least 10 times better than before. The amp can be turned up so that you feel like you are being punched in the back.:crazy: Or just set so that you get a nice all round sound.:D

Looks very nicely done. Excellent!

What does the rotary control in your cubby hole do?

I suppose you can be let off not attending the Pod!

EDIT: No Air Con Jimmy? Do you have a sunroof?

Last edited:
Looks very nicely done. Excellent!
Thank you, the hardest part was getting the speaker wires through the rubber thingy between the roof of the car and the tailgate.

What does the rotary control in your cubby hole do?

It is like a remote control for the amplifier, the output can be adjusted to the desired level.:cool:

EDIT: No Air Con Jimmy? Do you have a sunroof?

Well spotted Graham. I am not too bothered about A/C, after spending 16 years driving tractors, combines and plant with A/C I found I can live without it for 355 days of the year!! Luckily for the other 10 mdays I do have a sunroof which is nice in the summer. Obviously I would like A/C but it didn't stop me buying this car or make me look for a retrofit.

What I would like is a leather interior, next on my list along with a new SS exhaust system!:D

Loooooooks v nice Jimmy
You could always get some black audio fabric to mask your amp as it breathes and dissapates the heat. Just back it with velcro all around.
Pete:rock:

Last edited:
Jimmy

Does TMC work for you ? What MAP disk do you have ?

Im trying to work out if the UK TMC codes exist on the 2003DX maps (or even the 2002 maps), and whether they are just disabled for COMAND systmes or not. The Travelpilot range use the same maps as COMAND

Thanks
Richar

Originally posted by richard
Jimmy

Does TMC work for you ? What MAP disk do you have ?

Im trying to work out if the UK TMC codes exist on the 2003DX maps (or even the 2002 maps), and whether they are just disabled for COMAND systmes or not. The Travelpilot range use the same maps as COMAND

Thanks
Richar

I don't really know to be honest, I have the 2002DX CD and Blaupunkt have told me that they have not approved TMC as yet. Theoretically the head unit should pick up TMC codes but I have not been able to tune into a station yet that does. I have heard that ClassicFM broadcast the codes but I cannot get my unit to find it.

Blaupunkt say that TMC should be enabled in the next two or three months, does that mean we all have to buy an updated CD?

Looks like the newer model to the one I have in my car. Haven't tested it to the limit yet but am impressed by what I've seen so far!

Slight problem.......

The extra weight of the speakers and sound deadening material that I had to put in the tailgate, to stop the number plate rattling:p :p, has meant that the gas struts are not quite strong enough now!:mad:

Anybody have any ideas where I can get uprated gas springs? My local stealer was as helpful as usual, they cant get anything without the OE part number.

So does anybody have a C-class estate with uprated sound sytem/tailgate gas struts, so that I can get a part number for HD struts?

Although I am in the trade I can only get hold of standard equipment, HD struts are not standard.:confused:

Jimmy,

what sound deadining did you use?

Originally posted by jimmy
Blaupunkt say that TMC should be enabled in the next two or three months, does that mean we all have to buy an updated CD?

Yeah, how does it know TMC doesn't work in the UK? Software update needed to activate it? TMC works in other countries you know...

Originally posted by Koolvin
Jimmy,

what sound deadining did you use?

Can't remember the exact name, got it from Halfords, a roll of heavy, flexible, rubbery stuff with a sticky back. Very heavy stuff probably as heavy as the speakers. If I cant get any uprated struts I will probably have to remove some or all of this material!:confused:

ahh, thats what you done wrong, you installed dynamat (black sound proofing with blue writing)

you need to take it off and order dynamat 'Extreme' very thin, very light, very sticky, and MUCH better deadining. (bit more pricey but WELL worth it will save you alot of hassle.

extreme1.jpg

Originally posted by Koolvin
ahh, thats what you done wrong, you installed dynamat (black sound proofing with blue writing)

you need to take it off and order dynamat 'Extreme' very thin, very light, very sticky, and MUCH better deadining. (bit more pricey but WELL worth it will save you alot of hassle.

extreme1.jpg

What would we do without you?

I hope I can get the other stuff off, it seemed very sticky.:crazy:

halfords is well overpriced btw.

:eek:

speechless

yeah, did you post that on talkaudio a while back, recall seeing it...

Thats what comes from too much pc modding. :p ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom