Nice low mileage Bentley for the Lidl run.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But richer for the experience?? Probably not.

I have to confess, I'm beginning to fancy a Corniche - but anyone selling an Adenauer or a 220se could put me off the idea quite easily.

Last edited:
Shame about the colour scheme - beige with beige!

I would be principly concerned with the condition of all the rubber components by this time. Lots of flexibles adaptive dampers and accompanying hygroscopic fluids to have gone wrong /embrittled over the years---- last documented major service 2003 --- drives well---- on 30 year old tyres??
Avon turbo speeds 235/70VR15. at £200 a pop that's £1000 to renew the 5.
I would allow for maybe £5000+ to refettle it /change all the fluids/filters etc to a state you might want to drive it with confidence on the road and enjoy that big V8. :dk:
Not too sold on the rubber bumpers and rather bland colour. I rather favour the two tone look with the discrete white sidewall tyres myself ----just lifts the entire car imho.:dk:
1920px-Bentley_Mulsanne_Blue_NEC.JPG

Quite drawn to the Continental Rs at the moment. Or maybe even a Camargue - so ugly it's beautiful?

You may have a point ;-)

Needs a Wheeler Dealers style front facelift otherwise you just look like a Pools winner.

If its not been MOT'd & serviced every year id be a bit cautious about this, its either been sat in a shed and will need a load of work or its not been serviced by a garage since 2003 and been clocked.

To echo some of the comments above, lack of use spells trouble and expensive trouble too. Yearly MOT's or not.

Was at least Mot'd every year, except 2010-13, when it was sorned, so the chances of it having done huge miles and been would back seems very low

Other points made re lack of use still apply, obviously

A mate of mine from university worked on the development of the Mulsanne Turbo back in the early 80's.

They were prodigiously fast (for the day), but top speed was limited to 135mph for a couple of reasons. One was the risk of the heavily loaded tyres failing under prolonged high speed conditions, the other was that wind noise increased dramatically above 135mph due to the combination of a low pressure zone towards the top of the front door windows and the relative lack of stiffness of the window frames which would bow out from their seals!

Later cars had a chin spoiler on the front and other aero improvements to increase high speed stability, all paid for by savings generated by switching from two independent rear suspension level sensors to a single, centrally mounted one. Even at the top end of the car industry, cost control is king...

The car's USP is the ultra-low mileage and yet there appears to be no absolutely no MOT or service history for the first 18 years of the its existence.

The Bentley Mulsanne Turbo was comprehensively beaten in most comparison road tests by a w126 500 whether it was a SE, SEL or SEC. Rolls Royce wetting themselves about a top speed of 135 mph was also laughable. The 500 SEC with only 231 hp that Motor tested managed a genuine 142 mph and an early lhd 500 SEL that Autocar tested got up to 145.

When Motor road tested the Bentley, their road testers even commented on the poor fit of the doors and some oozing glue. MB products of the time were far superior.

Not so immaculate condition as advertised the drivers side front bumpers bent.

I was going to say from the number plate it started life in Scotland,but I see this was mentioned in the ebay advert,well it looks a straight motor,as people have said a car that does not move for a few years throws up all sorts of problems,and I suspect spares are not that easy to find and the cost will be large,but if you want it buy it,whats it worth,well I would not give more than 3 grand for it.

Ended on 19 grand!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom