Nice respect for national anthems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4, 1994 E320 Coupe, 1995 E300 estate
Not; just listening to the footie on 5Live and the English fans were atrocious and the Scots just as bad in return. Shameful by the scum bag fans-they really need to watch Rugby to learn some manners.

Rant mode off

Strangely, on TV it sounded only as if the Scots were the bad mannered ones.

Strangely, on TV it sounded only as if the Scots were the bad mannered ones.

I wonder whether that was deliberately muted? Definitely the England fans who booed first regrettably.

I'm puzzled as to why England had the NATIONAL anthem, surely that relates to the whole country and for regions we should have something else as Scotland does.

I did chuckle as the Scots jeered their own national anthem.

It's a pity the Scots didn't jeer what they perceive to be their National Anthem. 'Flower of Scotland'...what a load of crap for an anthem that is.

And the only reason the don't sing Scotland the Brave is because their ba's dropped years ago and they can't reach the high notes. :rock:

Last edited:
I quite agree Derek. A foul dirge. Scotland the brave on the other hand, now that's a proper song. Just like Land of my Fathers, the old spine gets a tingling at that one.

I want to correct recent notions though that God Save the Queen is England's National Anthem. It isn't. Sporting occasions always had it played, it was the National Anthem, and nothing else was sung. Then came along this tedious desire to have national songs (note - Flower of Scotland and Land of my Fathers are not national anthems). The English alone have not sung one, and continue as their fathers and forefathers simply to sing the National Anthem. I speak of one of Scots, Welsh, Irish as well as English blood - chiding England for doing this is a deliberate piece of antagonism that turns all these things into a tribal moan fest, and which should better be reserved for real enemies such as Australia. God save your gracious Queen, you ocker losers!

Last edited:
'Flower of Scotland'...what a load of crap for an anthem that is.

Agreed. It's a dirge. Make's even GStQ feel quite zippy and upbeat.

As a traditionalist GStQ makes me want to stand up.

OTOH dreary Flower of Scotland is time to go off and make a cup of tea.

Sadly we now seem to be stuck for good with the grim dirge up here.:doh:

I think 'Reach for the Stars' by S Club 7 would be the most appropriate song for the English National Anthem seeing as we're all powder puffs and celebrity obsessed.

Our National Anthem makes you want to slit your wrists it's so dire. Time it was changed to "Land of Hope and Glory" now there's a patriotic anthem :thumb:

Our National Anthem makes you want to slit your wrists it's so dire. Time it was changed to "Land of Hope and Glory" now there's a patriotic anthem :thumb:

A truly moving, magnificent piece of music. It would be perfect as the English national anthem. How about someone starting a petition?

Hahahaha , yes.

Funnily enough I watched that the other night , 'an audience will billy Connolly '

Apparently if it was changed to the archers then the immigrants can learn it on the boat on the way over ( his words , not mine )

La la la la la la la ....... La la la la la laaaaaaaaaa

Was it not the great Billy Connoly who suggested a new athem should be written - and sung to "The Archers" theme? :D

I can just picture that at Twickers...

doo-be-doo-be-doo-be-doo-be........ad infinitum......be-doo-be-dooooo-doo

"Football, a game for Gentlemen, but played by hooligans & Rugby a game for hooligans, but played by Gentlemen"

Really sums it up, I feel.

I'll remember that next time someone has their eyes gouged.

"Football, a game for Gentlemen, but played by hooligans & Rugby a game for hooligans, but played by Gentlemen"

Really sums it up, I feel.

Might have possibly been true before they went professional, sadly after bloodgate, the 2008 NZ tour sex scandals and various other dropping of standards rugby fans can't claim the sport has any moral high ground.

Might have possibly been true before they went professional, sadly after bloodgate, the 2008 NZ tour sex scandals and various other dropping of standards rugby fans can't claim the sport has any moral high ground.

Ahem

Both English rugby?

:D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom