Nice trip hazard - OK HSE over to you.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
Electric car version of 'Boris Bikes' launched in London by French firm | Mail Online

I wonder when the HSE is going to act over the ever increasing number of trip hazards generated by charging electric cars in public places.

The picture here illustrates the problem nicely.

They haven't even used a brightly coloured cable - just black. Handy at night too.

If you were working on the footway and allowed a cable to trail like that the Council / HSE would quite rightly expect you to make it safe.

There is no way they would allow anything to trail like that.

Having to make these cables safe would kill the whole idea of electric cars.

I wonder how long it will be before the scroats discover this rich seam of negligence and start claiming in their droves for trips.

Last edited:
This could get really dangerous - apart from simply tripping and falling, just imagine what could happen if someone wanted to cross the road and then tripped and fell in the path of an approaching car... :(

Palfrem said:
Electric car version of 'Boris Bikes' launched in London by French firm | Mail OnlineI wonder how long it will be before the scroats discover this rich seam of negligence and start claiming in their droves for trips.
Not long, I suspect.

A mate of mine used to work in the British Gas legal dept many years ago defending claims by people who had "fallen down the hole" that BG had dug, put barriers around and sign posted. He told me that there were dozens of professional fallers who spent their entire life claiming damages from BG and other utility companies...

What a load of over the top Elf and Safety rubbish.

The cable drapes just at the back of the car to the kerbside power box.

People need to be more aware of their surroundings and risks. Too many people employed just to try to make up H&S risks to justify their employment, nowadays.

We should concentrate on real risks, not immaterial ones.

When I were a Lad...

What a load of over the top Elf and Safety rubbish.

The cable drapes just at the back of the car to the kerbside power box.

People need to be more aware of their surroundings and risks. Too many people employed just to try to make up H&S risks to justify their employment, nowadays.

We should concentrate on real risks, not immaterial ones.

When I were a Lad...

Some people need to take more regular doses of moral fibre!:D

Trip over cable. Get hurt.

Repeat if stupid. Avoid if clever.

It's not H&S, it's common-bloody-sense

I had some pointless safety paperwork this afternoon that held me up on my travels.
The job had been booked in for a week and the ladies in the office where I had gone to install had forgotten to ask for a method statement and risk assessment... Hot flushes and feathers flying all over the place.

After hurriedly searching for the correct forms (they finish early on a Friiday) the process begins.

"Do any of the following apply...

N/A, No, N/A, No, N/A, No and No."

Then the man from the head of department is called in to check everything on the form is filled in, signed and dated correctly. He actually looked concerned that the majority of the answers were No or N/A, as though they had somehow missed something. He's probably still worrying about it now.

Conversely, if someone is aged 18 or over (their state of mind matters not) they can buy a chainsaw from the likes of B&Q without any training whatsoever.

What could possibly go wrong? :dk:

if someone is aged 18 or over (their state of mind matters not) they can buy a chainsaw from the likes of B&Q without any training whatsoever.

Actually ... is there any age limit on buying a chainsaw? I don't suppose the rules on 'knives' would apply?

Actually ... is there any age limit on buying a chainsaw? I don't suppose the rules on 'knives' would apply?

I'm not sure, but if you try to buy a chainsaw online, some places won't deliver. They insist on you collecting and having a briefing on the dangers (and perhaps some basic training). This happened when I tried to buy my chainsaw at the best online price from a company in Devon. I ended up buying it online from Screwfix who delivered it without any questions asked.

Ban electric cars, risk to life in areas prone to floods...

Apparently, you cannot buy teaspoons in Tesco unless you show proof of ID And age as spoons are classed as cutlery.

For fork sake .....

Have you got any evidence to support that?

No, just thinking aloud,but there must be a risk of them shorting out when submerged in water,just a tongue in cheek view of a H&S risk.

So no proof...

Only, big charged power cell/s and water= hazard = risk of electrocution.
I would hope that the design encases them to protect against water,if not
we will hear about it sooner or later.

Only, big charged power cell/s and water= hazard = risk of electrocution.
I would hope that the design encases them to protect against water,if not
we will hear about it sooner or later.

Daily Mail speculation.

I'd be amazed if the manufacturers and legislators hadn't thought of this...but what do I know...?

Daily Mail speculation.

I'd be amazed if the manufacturers and legislators hadn't thought of this...but what do I know...?
Just logical thought process...that's all I know
as for Daily Mail...please.:doh:

martyz said:
Only, big charged power cell/s and water= hazard = risk of electrocution. I would hope that the design encases them to protect against water,if not we will hear about it sooner or later.

The batteries are sealed units.

I had some pointless safety paperwork this afternoon that held me up on my travels.
The job had been booked in for a week and the ladies in the office where I had gone to install had forgotten to ask for a method statement and risk assessment... Hot flushes and feathers flying all over the place.

After hurriedly searching for the correct forms (they finish early on a Friiday) the process begins.

"Do any of the following apply...

N/A, No, N/A, No, N/A, No and No."

Then the man from the head of department is called in to check everything on the form is filled in, signed and dated correctly. He actually looked concerned that the majority of the answers were No or N/A, as though they had somehow missed something. He's probably still worrying about it now.

Conversely, if someone is aged 18 or over (their state of mind matters not) they can buy a chainsaw from the likes of B&Q without any training whatsoever.

What could possibly go wrong? :dk:

Oh how I love these forms. Hot Work Forms are also fun....

I get similar treatment when turning up for inspections. Of course the people who I arrange this with never tell the people that are in the property.... A Defence Contractor was particular fun...

As for charging cables it needs a degree of common sense from all. If the cable is close to the car, in the gutter where possible and the charging port is not on the other side of the pavement there should not be too much to get hung up on.

Oh how I love these forms. Hot Work Forms are also fun....

My work doesn't involve anything quite so risky.

One of the major facilities management companies I work for allowed one of their joiners to keep his job after cutting almost all the way through his thumb. Just skin left it dangling from his hand and it now looks like a claw. He was using a chopsaw whilst it was on the sloping bonnet of his works van at the time of the accident. :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom