Night before - Screen de-icer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My apologies. Poor humour aimed at the drive away as soon as comment. Not in any way at your Dad.

Please accept my apology for any offence caused. Certainly not what I would ever intend. I would hope you know this.

Bruce

Thank You Bruce for The PM

I do accept your apology and appreciate your reply in this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just thought of this thread as I defrosted my window this morning hassle free with a small jug of Luke warm water ;)

I saw this and immediately thought “ somebody has invented something that didn’t need to be invented”

But because it a pretty blue colour and smells of bubblegum (a nice bubblegum) and comes in a squirty bottle with a cool trigger Wooh. I had to have it.

CarPlan Demon Ice 1L | Wilko

It is cheaper in Halfords with a Trade Card £3:00 a bottle.

Anyway. It works and it works well. If, like me you get up in the morning then remember that you need a sledge hammer & bolster to de-ice the windscreen. On your return home in the evening, just give your car windows a few sprays and head indoors forgetting all about it.

The next morning you arrive at your car to find virtually no frost.

Best ever.......? You don’t de-glove your nice new multi million £ wiper blades that you forgot to turn off. Your car smells like an explosion in bubblegum factory and the blue gel seems not to act as a paint stripper.

Just my experience folks. Another day another product. Life goes on.

Feel free to post your thoughts especially if you have tried it.

Alternatively you can opt to do what my neighbour did.

He returned to his house, boiled a kettle of water, emptied the kettle of boiling water over his windscreen, watched in horror as his windscreen promptly shattered. This cost several pound notes more than a bottle of Demon De-Icer to replace. But provided me with some great giggles.

I generally just start the car , lock the door with the spare key , go back in for a cup of coffee , then out to find it clear and all toasty inside .

I've discovered an odd thing on my car. If I start the engine and drive straight off it drives fine. If I start the engine and wait a few seconds for the revs to drop back, it drives with a little hesitancy for the first 100 yards particularly if I'm setting of up hill. It's as if the mixture has been weakened too quickly.

On the subject of warming oil quickly, there is what is perhaps a non intuitive effect in that it's revs that heats the oil more than engine load. This is due to the shearing of the oil in the bearings and has been proven through professional investigation. Note in the left hand chart with a 10Nm load, the oil heats up to 80 deg C four times quicker at 3000 RPM compared with 1000RPM. In the right hand chart there is little difference in oil heating time between engine loads of 10 Nm and 60Nm. Moral of the story is to stay out of top gear until the engine is up to temperature and even then oil temperature always lags coolant temperature.

View attachment 83190

It may be:

The oil will warm and be spread at differing rates dependant on a large amount of variables. Finding the optimum would be almost impossible. But it is likely that as this process goes on the engine would find certain conditions relating to cold temps, oil thickness and penetration that would cause it to behave in the way you describe.

My Pajero uses hydraulic lifters and lash adjusters that are fed from the engines oil supply. The Japanese recommend that when you get noisy/ticking lifters or lash adjusters you perform a cycle using revs to force oil back into the lash adjuster chambers. Thereby stopping the annoying winter ticking.

It actually does work, much to most people’s amazement.

Here you go:

1. Warm up the engine.

2. With the engine in neutral, gently rev it from idle to 3000rpm over a period of exactly 15 seconds. Your goal is a constant gradual increase to 3000rpm. At the 15 second mark, drop the throttle (foot off the gas) to idle. Now let it idle for 15 seconds to complete one 30 second cycle

3. Repeat the 30 second cycle in #2 from 10 to 30 times. If the problem persists after 30 cycles, this is not your problem. It fixed mine after only 5 cycles - total silence.

Last edited:
In Kent leaving you car with the engine running and keys in would almost certainly see it gone when you went back to it :ˆ)

Some of our locals do enjoy (I'm not making this up) an early morning drive looking for the tell tale plume of white exhaust rising up from the driveway
Exactly why I lock mine with the spare key and watch from the kitchen window ; not that we get any trouble round here .

Yup, agree its a bit risky. I have been tempted to start it up, leave it running, then lock it with the second remote, or even Mercedes me, but a bit nervous if it would unlock properly. Anyone tried it?
I don’t have complications like that ; just a lock I put the key into and turn

Your dad is correct!

All you needed to do in the olden days was wait for the oil pressure needle to jump to it's normal position and of you went.

Of course cars this days no longer have an oil pressure gauge (why???), so I would stay count to three slowly then drive-off (or wait for the rpm needle to settle).

You want the engine warmed up to normal operating temperature as soon as possible, and it will take longer to get there with the engine idling than when driving (moderately).
My cars all have oil pressure gauges ; never had a Mercedes without one ...

boiling water re freezes quicker than cold water.
Saw a car yesterday morning that had obviously had water poured onto the windows, and which had re-frozen. All side and rear windows had the 'scalloped' ice pattern, and the wipers were scraping ice on the windscreen. And yes, the lady was continuing to drive.......

Surely a dipstick would only measure quantity rather than pressure?

I think he is referring to MB removing dipsticks for a few years before reintroducing them recently.

Surely a dipstick would only measure quantity rather than pressure?
I was referring to the people who decided to delete the gauges from the instrument panel .

giphy.gif

Reactions: 219
I think he is referring to MB removing dipsticks for a few years before reintroducing them recently.
You can add to this list torque converter drain plugs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom